nod32 and kav?????

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by zfactor, Mar 10, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

i know this topic probably has been beaten to death. but i am new to both. i have tried both trials and really do like different things about both of these.
    with all of the "improvments" eset says they have made when i spoke to them the other day regarding trojans and malware i seem to only see results in this regard if imon is enabledo_O if i disable imon and try to download quite a few various "test" trojans; not the trojan simulator either; it just doesnt seem to really detect that mucho_O? i do have it set to "maxximum protection" as everyone says to do here on the forum.

on the other hand kav detects almost everything i have thrown at it with seeming ease, but it just seems to be a resource hog. i have been told by kaspersky this is in regards to the istreams. can this be disabledo_O i know i can set it to not use it for scanning but will this infact make a large performance difference?? and if so what about the detection rates? will these also go down because of the tagging not being addedo_O

i am ready to purchase one of these but o_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_O man they just keep making this decision harder. i know it may be a repeated question but if anyone has some suggestions thanks in advance

2. hollywoodpc

hollywoodpc Registered Member

I will not suggest one or the other . People will do that here and cause you some confusion . Bottom line is this : Both are very good at what they do . INW detection is excellent . Signatures and update frequency are excellent . It comes down to KAV maybe being slightly better overall but , not by much . The trade off is , for the slight edge , KAV is resource hungry . Not only at scanning but , when booting your computer . NOD is extremely light yet , is one of the best AV programs available . If you like them both , that is what to decide . Will KAV give you more protection ? If so , it would be negligible . The difference in resource usage is HUGE . As a matter of fact , I have tried KAV many times . It has yet to get better on resource usage . With NOD , I dare say you do not even know if it is running . One other thing . Very small but , a difference . I never saw where KAV actually puts a foot note on incoming and outgoing mail STATING it was scanned as NOD does . Not a big deal to most but , bothersome to me . Maybe KAV does this but , I did not see it . So , there it is . Tough decision . I wish you good luck in your quest .

3. zfactor

how significant is the slow down compared to nod32o_O i have done a clean install on my other system and i really hate to go install then uninstall numerous programso_O
    just a question i tried downloading some actuall trojans from places i can get them. nod32 stopped me from downloading them and asked if i want to disconnect etc... this was with imon on. when i disabled imon and actually COULD fully download them from the various sites i then did a scan on my computer and nod32 failed to find all but 2 of them i tried in the zipped format .rar and .zip and them actually extracted them to their own folder in a separate partion and nod still failed to find themo_O just curious. meanwhile kav found all of these at the page same as nod, but turning off kav; then downloading them; as soon as i turned kav back on it immediatly found them before i had a chance to do anything?? any insight would be greatfull. i really do like nod but now i am slightly concerned of it effectivness?? thanks

4. INTOXSICKATED

INTOXSICKATED Registered Member

nod32 and kav are probably the 2 best av's out there right now. really, you can't go wrong with either one. personally, i was in the same boat you're in now a couple months ago. i decided to go with nod32 because i just felt it ran better on my sytem with the programs i have installed, and i liked the fact that i could get help right here at wilders. never doubted my decision, and i feel well protected having it installed on my computer. but having trialed both already, i think you already know which one you like better. go with your gut feeling.

and eventho hollywood would not suggest one or the other, look at his signature, he's using nod too. ;)

5. zfactor

i did some checking on my other system ram usage for nod just over 14mb?
    kav would get to 22+ sometimes but rarely ever reached 12mb only when updating and scanning would i see a drastic slowdown. almost bring my pc to a crawl. but just browsing and downloading i dont see any real difference.
    boot up times suck with kav. what about my previous question regarding the istreams anyone answer that.

can it be shhut down and if so #1 will this make it faster less of a hog, #2 will it hurt the detection rates?? thanks again

6. zfactor

yes that is exactly what i followed i even went back and double checked all of my settings.

7. Stan999

Stan999 Registered Member

Sorry, I had deleated my post when I went back and reread your post that you had set it up correctly just before you replied.

I have both NOD32 and a KAV AV (F-Secure) on different machines.
    Running both I actually prefer NOD32 due to its Advance Heuristics
    and zero-day infections. Also the IMON HTTP scanner that can stop
    infections from even downloading to your machine. Also the very light
    CPU usage.

However, both are very good, IMHO.

8. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

It may obviously be your system. For example, KAV is conflicting with your other software/hardware. If this is the case, then you will not need to make a decision, you will have to go with NOD.

But otherwise try and give KAV a fair trial by carrying out the following.

1. Try and install on a relatively 'clean' system.

2. Ensure any other AV's are uninstalled not disabled, while trying KAV.

3. If you do not accept the default settings for KAV, the performance hit, IMHO, on my systems, seems to be fairly light. Try some performance tweaks here, in particular turn off the IDS module and the startup scan; http://www.ice-kav.com/kavtun.php.
    If KAV now seems to run a little lighter now, then it is a personal choice between these 2 AV's.

9. q1aqza

q1aqza Registered Member

My own non-technical perception/opinion of these two AVs.

On-demand detection. I've been using NOD32 quite happily for a while now but on my test partition I recently decided to give KAV 5 Personal a try. Without the extended database it didn't find anything that NOD didn't - i.e. both completed clean scans with no nasties found. Tried KAV5 again with the extended databases and it found a few items of malware, nothing too serious but worth clearing off my PC.
    On that basis I (personally) trust KAV's on-demand detection more. 1-0 to KAV.

Resident protection. There is a website that I came across that tries to force a dialer install, NOD32's IMON stopped it before it could download and gave option to terminate, went on the same site on my test partition using KAV 5 and KAV resident caught it when the .exe hit the browser cache. Both were effective but you can't help feel more comfortable knowing that your AV will stop it before it hits your hard drive. On this basis I prefer NOD32 for realtime internet surfing protection. Point to NOD, 1-1 now.

On resource usage, I find NOD much faster/lighter on startup but once all is up and running I found KAV runs lighter - on my set up NOD32 uses 14-16 MB with the odd peak up to the late teens, whilst KAV uses between 9-12, with the odd peak up to early 20 MB. The KAV slow startup is frustrating especially as there is nothing obvious telling you that KAV is busy, maybe a splash screen would at least make it obvious that KAV is still busy rather than the user trying to launch applications and seeing nothing happen until KAV has finished it's startup. So NOD is leaner on start up, KAV seems leaner in operation so I make this one a draw a point each. 2-2 now.

Updates. I think NOD32 updates are poor, often server failure errors and sometimes only one update for a few days. KAV updates are robust and reliable and frequent upates, usually a few times a day. Point to KAV on this one. 3-2 to KAV.

Day zero threats. Not being technical I just go by what I read on this forum that NOD32 advance heuristics are pretty much unsurpassed. I don't even know if KAV uses heuristics ?? I have never personally witnessed NOD32 adv heuristics in action but I have to go with what I've read. So point to NOD32. 3-3 now.

Scanning speed. NOD is much faster but I can't help feeling that KAV is far more thorough. Apart from test purposes, my full system scans are at times when I don't need to use the PC, so the slower scan time of KAV doesn't bother me, plus it will do auto shutdown if you set it running before going to bed for instance. So for me a point to KAV on this one. 4-3 to KAV. (If you prefer speed then obviously the point goes to NOD)

Manufacturer Tech Support. Not had to use either so no comment from me. Both seem to have lots of stuff covered in user forums.

Installation/configuration. Thanks to Blackspear's guide I, like many others, have been able to tweak NOD to get the highest protection levels. KAV 5 is dead easy using sliders. For completely non technical people KAV 5 is much simpler. Another point to KAV. 5-3 to KAV. (Although I love the big red NOD32 GUI when it finds a nasty!!)

In conclusion, I really like both, I personally believe these are the best two paid AVs out there for the home user, corporate may be a different matter. Apart that KAV won on points in my 'noddy' comparison, I just can't help feeling that I feel a little bit more 'safe' using KAV compared to NOD. Again just to re-iterate, my post is very much perception and opinion based and not technical using defined test criteria.

10. zfactor

i guess you are right in saying that one person may feel different than another. i to seem to feel like you do regarding feeling somewhat safer than with nod32. i just really like the nod program better. even though most say it is so much harder to set up i come from an ibm backround and find it refrshing to "feel" like i can set it up so i know how each item works, where with kav as you said just simple sliders it does have some adjustment but really very minimal when in comparison to nod. they really didnt make this decision easy; and being i have to decide here as both my trials are almost up; i geuss i could format agin and retry them but im sure i still will be wondering if i should have gone the other way.

you said kav seems to run lighter once it is up?? is this just looking at the ram numbers or are you talking about actual system performanceo_O

11. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

The KAV is almost as configurable as NOD32. You just have to click correct button to get more options :p

12. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

And dont forget KAV 4.5 :p :)

13. zfactor

so pretty much are you guys all saying that nod would equal kav in virus detection? and how well long term does it deal with removing them from your system or does it usually make you remove them manually like some "other" av programs. it makes it so confusing seeing all these reviews saying nod did not fair at all well against kav (av comparatives) and others alike but the general consensus i see all over the net is nod is so highly reccomended by so many. i own retail stores and need to protect them as they are on line all day and who knows what could be running around. i hate to loose my customer data etc... i do backups but we have customers all day and to do that many a day would be very tiresome. my mother works for a software company as thier accountant. and they are not an av company but thier developers: about half recc nod32 and of course the other recc kav.

now while online at my stores we are under dial up. with kav testing i constantly see alerts for lsass and lovesan and many others but never seen any of these with nod32. is thier a reason for this or is this a feature nod is lacking i would glady buy either but being i am buy multiple copies i dont want to make the wrong desicion. thanks for all the help

also regarding the updates with nod i hear so many people complaining about only a couple a week or when it does update it will not update to the current versiono_O kav updates like three or four times a day. just wondering are they (eset) working on this or has it been fixed already

14. Firecat

zfactor,

I dont know about NOD32, but KAV will automatically disinfect the files, registry, BHOs and other stuff that was created by the malware. Of course, ArcaVir does that too, Norton does not, McAfee also does if you upgrade engine to the latest version.

KAV has hourly updates - ensures an excellent response time.

Regards,
    Firecat

15. q1aqza

q1aqza Registered Member

Yes I was only referring to RAM utilisation, I haven't analysed CPU usage, so sorry if my 'lighter' comment was misleading or not inclusive enough. On a perception basis tho, I notice no difference in performance during browsing or opening local files etc when running either KAV 5 or NOD. Both seem fairly transparent.

I'd love to have an AV with KAVs detection & updates and NODS realtime/adv heuristics. I guess some smart alec will tell me I'm talking about McAfee :D

16. Firecat

NO! McAfee's heuristics are only about as good as KAV itself. Try ArcaVir, has really good detection and fairly good heuristics.

17. hollywoodpc

Quote: Updates. I think NOD32 updates are poor, often server failure errors and sometimes only one update for a few days

Everyone has there opinion . This particular statement is sad . If the user felt this was a problem , contacting Eset would be in order . Something is wrong somewhere . Updates poor ? Really . I do not think so . It is sad this statement was made . Nothing could be further from the truth . So , as I stated in the beginning . You will get more confused as more people respond as they push their favorite on you . Not to say this person was choosing a side . Only saying that his so called experience is very difficult for me to accept . Updates poor . I think I have heard it all now . To clarify . NOD updates are very good . Keep in mind . You should set the update server to choose automatically . One of the servers has been shut down . Maybe , before the fix , this person had that server chosen as the ONE server to connect to . Idiotic but , it happens . You are on the right path . Both are good . Both are strong and if it were me , either one would be great . I do not think one is far enough ahead of the other to worry . BC said to give it a fair chance but , KAV is not as nice with other programs as NOD seems to be . And what a pain to sit and watch your computer startup slow to a crawl while it loads . GEEZ . That is a personal thing though . Sorry . Bottom line is , flip a coin . If both work on your computer equally , flip a coin . If one seems easier than the other , choose that one . No need to keep losing sleep . You have chosen two of the best to pick from . Good luck and hope that helps

18. Firecat

I think I'll stay out of this...Its going to become a flame thread soon.

19. Diver

Diver Registered Member

Re: KAV start-up delay.

Boot times with KAV can be reduced with a registry patch to disable scanning of certain items at start up. You can find it over at forums.useice.com. Also, KAV may load slow with certain firewalls due to the operation of its mail scanner.

However, both KAV and NOD32 are very good AV's.

20. Firecat

Also remember that the registry patch has officially been certified by Kaspersky.

(I'm not breaking my rule, no suggestions from me my friend, for I might be flamed).

21. zfactor

okay thanks all i know these are two of the upmost av's i'll have to play with them again and see how they fell to me. i really like nod's gui better than kav. kav makes me think of norton or panda both of which will never find thier way to my pc's no offense to anyone using these. i just have had numerous problems with both in the past. i guess i have to look past all of the reviews i read that say that kav is just THAT MUCH BETTER than nod32.

i geuss reading all of those just gives some a false sense of "extra security" if these as everyone says are so close in terms of detection to one another. sometimes i feel running nod that maybe kav would really be that much better. but then when nod strike and finds something on the web or in a file it makes me feel better.

the difference for me has always been kav screaming at everything!!!
    lsass exploit, lovesan exploit, and numerous others like every five seconds sometimes at my store when im on dial up. have others seen this and should i really worry about these?? it just makes me wonder why it is screaming at all of these and my kerio says nothing is trying to get in or out even when i check it to make sure. is this common with kav? with nod sometimes it doesnt even feel like it is working cause i never see anything it just sits there in my tray with no alerts or screaming of any sort.

with nod how is it at detecting trojans? i know kav is supposed to be that much better from what everyone says but nod is supposed to be improving. my retail pc's only use 256 mb of ram and i have 6 of them i hate to stick a full 1 mb in these which are really only used for pos applications so i try to run as few resident programs as i can that is why i was asking in the first place between these two. i could run a separate at but hate to use up that much more mem. i run adaware and spy bot often and run spysweeper also a few times a week.

i appreciate the feedback and do not wish this to be a flame post please keep that out of this one. i asked a serious question and just want to make the right decision for me thanks to everyone

22. zfactor

also you mentioned arcavir?? where can i look into this?? and what would you suggest as the best firewall for nod?? are there any it disagrees with?

23. MushfiQ

MushfiQ Registered Member

24. hollywoodpc

Most firewalls are ok with NOD . As stated , NOD gets along very well with most other software . It does not like AV programs though . ICK !! lol . Find a firewall you like and try it . IMO , no harm in that . Good luck my friend

25. zfactor

how would one rate arcavir up to nod or kav? and is it available without the firewall ? is this thier own engine or do they use someone elses as do many use kav's engine thanks

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.