Nod32 and iPod Touch

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by Mario LoPresto, Jun 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mario LoPresto

Mario LoPresto Registered Member

Hi everyone,
    I've been having an issue with my iPod on my desktop. I have contacted Apple support about the problem, and they were stumped. Now a week late, after collecting some diagnostic info, they are telling me to uninstall Nod32 because it is incompatible. So I figured I would come here and ask.

A little information on the problem: I have an older PC. Some of my information is below in my signature, but I'm running XP SP3 on a Pentium 4 machine. I received a new iPod touch for my birthday about a week ago. When I went to plug the iPod into my computer after getting the latest iTunes, I got an error message that said "Apple Mobile Device Service has encountered a problem and needs to close" and then iTunes does not recognize that an iPod is plugged in. Windows, on the other hand, does recognize that I plugged in an Apple product and installs a driver. I was able to activate and synch the iPod to my Windows 7 laptop.

So I started troubleshooting. I reinstalled all of my Apple software in the proper order that they ask. Disabled both ESET and Windows firewall. Did a selective restart with Apple tech support. We basically exhausted all of the options there.

I saw that there was a problem with the older version of iTunes and an older Nod32 http://kb.eset.com/esetkb/index?pag...earch&viewlocale=en_US&searchid=1276194244837 I followed the steps in this and got the same error message and lack of recognition.

So my question is: is it possible that there is still an incompatibility between Nod32 and iPod Touch? I never had this problem with my iPod Shuffle and older iTunes.

I updated my Nod32 to 4.2.40.0 today. My iTunes version is 9.1.1.12

Any help or suggestions on this are very welcome. Thanks!

2. siljaline

siljaline Registered Member

It would seem some Apple products are not playing well with ESET products of late :ouch:

3. Rmuffler

Rmuffler Former Eset Moderator

Hello Mario LoPresto,

I will ask our QA team if they have seen any issues related to the iPod touch. If it is okay, I will be able to speak with them Monday morning.

Thank you,
    Richard

4. Mario LoPresto

Thanks Rmuffler, sounds great. I was thinking of uninstalling Nod32 and seeing if that solved the problem, just so I can pinpoint what's incompatible with what. Will I run into any problems doing so? As long as I have my username and password I can reinstall and still get the full version that I paid for, correct?

Thanks for your help.

5. Matthijs5nl

Matthijs5nl Guest

Yes, just make sure you have to credentials available (I store them actually on four places just like all my other credentials for banking and software licenses etcetera) and you can always install it again. I think I reinstalled ESET NOD32 Antivirus about six times and I never encountered a single problem.
    It could also be easy to export your ESET NOD32 Antivirus settings (you can do this by: first enabling the Advanced View; second click on Setup in the menubar; and third go toImport/Export settings) so you can easily import them again. If you used the default settings however you shouldn't bother.

6. siljaline

siljaline Registered Member

7. Mario LoPresto

Thanks for the help guys. I did receive an email from ESET tech support that said I should try to uninstall ESET and reinstall iTunes to see if it worked. I just tried that and it was no help. It's looking like ESET is not the culprit.

8. Rmuffler

Rmuffler Former Eset Moderator

Hello Mario LoPresto,

Thank you for your updates on the issue. You are correct, if the issue persists with ESET removed then there could be a different application or process that is causing the problem. Please let us know if the issue does not remain after uninstalling ESET. I would definitely like to make sure that the ESET security product is not causing any conflicts and help you resolve this.

Regards,
    Richard

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.