NOD32 Actually Rescanning Emails?

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by Ardmore, Mar 30, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ardmore

Ardmore Registered Member

In a 2008 post, Marcos says,

"Selecting the re-scan email option, all email in inbox will be re-scanned for threats and spam (ESS). If a threat or spam is found, the action specified in the setup will be carried out."

That's what I would expect. But even though I have this option selected, my object counts for email client protection do NOT jump up after an updated database is loaded. This contrasts with on-demand rescan of my Inbox, which cause the count to jump by thousands.

Does this suggest the re-scan email option may not be functioning properly for me?

Thanks.

2. Ardmore

Please, can anyone with a large Outlook Inbox confirm that the automatic email rescanning feature is actually working for you (or that is isn't)?

I don't particularly care about this feature per se, but rather any implication its failure might have regarding my entire installation of NOD32. IOW, it's making me nervous about whether my system is being properly protected, so I'm trying to find an explanation.

Is there perhaps some unstated automatic limitation to the rescans by design, e.g., that only emails less than 7 days old will be rescanned? Or perhaps emails which were initially scanned when tagging was enabled will not be rescanned after tagging is disabled? Or perhaps it has something to do with my installation of Outlook? (Although as I said, a manually-started email rescan works fine.)

Thanks!

3. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Enabling the "Repeat scan after update" option means that already read email will be rescanned with the latest version as soon as you read it, providing that scanning of read emails is enabled.

4. Ardmore

Mystery solved! Thank you.

I can see what you mean by looking at how the Number of Clean Email Objects increases every time I re-open an email that was originally read before the latest update. Not sure why it always increases by at least two objects each time, but I'm sure there's a reason, and now I know it's working.

The wording of this particular option is unclear and misleading, though. Maybe it should be a sub-option under Read Mail, and say something like "Rescan re-opened emails after update." Could be greyed out if Read Mail is unticked.

Thanks again.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.