NOD32 3.0 & Outlook Express - noticeably slower

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by mladen, Apr 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mladen

mladen Registered Member

Hi,

My company has been using NOD32 2.7 version for a long time. Works absolutely fantastic. Now, I have upgraded my pc to version 3.0 to see how it is working and to see if there will be any surprises after upgrade. What I noticed is that my Outlook Express (which I use for testing purposes, not for the real business communcation) is opening email messages noticeably slower (i.e. when I click on the message, it took 15-30 secs to open it). This was not the case before.

I have read several topics regarding NOD32 3.0 and I did not find any topic which mentioned this. I have disabled email checking but the result was the same. Advanced heuristics is disabled in "Real time system protection". I do not want to disable "web access protection" (since I think that this is the real place to look).

I think we will stick to version 2.7 and wait for changes in 3.0 behaviour.
    Or, there is something that can be done to avoid this?

My PC has 4 GB RAM, Intel Core Duo 2 GHZ, Windows XP SP2.

Regards,
    Mladen

2. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Do you receive email via POP3 or IMAP?

3. mladen

mladen Registered Member

POP3

I forgot to mention that CPU is getting to 50 when this is happening.

4. Marcos

Does disabling email protection actually make a difference?

5. mladen

mladen Registered Member

No.

However, I have created the same account on the other PC and there is no such delay as on the first one. So, I would say that NOD32 3.0 is Ok, but something is wrong with the machine (I have to find out what). They are both using the same XML configuration file.

I suggest that we can finish this topic. Thank you very much for your quick responses.

Best regards,
    Mladen

6. Marcos

Perhaps a log from ESET SysInspector would shed more light and help you identify a program that might be causing the delay when installed in conjunction with EAV.

7. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

Have you installed NOD32 v3.650? This one has no affect on e-mail receiving for me. Just a note: A short time ago I upgraded to v3.650, and also did an upgrade to my FW about the same time. I began having e-mail slow downs and having Outlook lock on receiving and assumed it was NOD because of v3's shaky beginnings. After spending much time tweeking NOD trying to fix the problem, I discovered the new FW build had a bug and was the culprit. So, perhaps you should broaden your search for the reason for your slow down. :)

8. mladen

mladen Registered Member

Yes, I have installed the latest build 3.0.650.0

I have found out what was causing such behaviour. The reason was to many messages in my mailbox. Since I am using Outlook Express just for the testing purposes, I very rarely delete messages there. There was more than 1700 messages :eek:

When I deleted those messages and kept around 100 of them, everything was OK. That is why NOD32 with the same account worked fine on the other machine where it has never been used.

Anyway. Thank you all for your hints and help.

Best regards,
    Mladen

9. ASpace

ASpace Guest

Mladen , haven't tried it yet , but you can try to add dbx as an extension which is not going to be scanned by the real-time file system protection . When inbox.dbx gets big (you have many emails inside) it may help to prevent NOD32 interfere with it at all

Attached Files:

10. Marcos

dbx files are not scanned by the real-time protection whatsover : )

11. ASpace

ASpace Guest

I didn't know that . Thanks :thumb:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.