nod32 2.7 update list

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by xqlusivv, Nov 21, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. xqlusivv

xqlusivv Registered Member

Hi, im new on this forum and ive got a question.

In the NOD32 Client Control Center
    is a tab called Update
    In this tab is also a tab called Update
    Then you see the Update screen on the right
    When i click Setup it comes up with a window which says: Automatic update configuration
    It has: Locations > servers
    there youve got a list with tons of servers (u20.eset.com - u40.eset.com) and my own added servers (192.168.1.5, 212.xxx.xxx.xxx)

Now when i chose: select automatically and i click update:
    i see the program is rolling through the serverlist (u20.eset.com - u40.eset.com)
    But NOT my own adresses (192.168.1.5, 212.xxx.xxx.xxx)
    Now what i want is that i can edit the updateserverlist... delete the u20 - u40... replace them with my own ip's... and when i then choose autoselect it runs how i want it..

The question is: which file is the file that holds the updateserverlist?

My required answer is: the filename or config list where i can find these... OR an answer like: this is not possible because... blalalbal

I dont want questions like: why do you want this, or this is a better way to do it...

Ive got license for enterprise and exchange.. so i also called the nod32 helpdesk... but they suck and cant help me because the helpdesk guys are just teenagers :S

2. barry2005

barry2005 Registered Member

What a coincidence, i just ran into the same problem. If you should somehow find a workaround I would be very interested.

3. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

The update server should always be set to Choose automatically unless you update from a local mirror. In such case, you must add your own server with the appropriate port (in case of updating via http) or the full path to the mirror (in this case you must specify the credentials that will be used when connecting to the network share containing the mirror).

If you want to use 2 different profiles, you can edit an update task and select the desired primary and secondary update profile.

4. xqlusivv

Ok ill try to explain myself better.
    Situation:
    Company, with 50 locations. 1 Headquarter.
    @ The HQ is an nod32 lan update server installed: 192.168.5.6
    @ The local DNS is update.mycompanyname.nl redirected to 192.168.5.6
    @ The extern DNS/Hosting company is update.mycompanyname.nl redirected to 2xx.2xx.230.7
    So theoretically All our extern homeworkers can update there nod32 with updateserver: update.mycompanyname.nl (2xx.2xx.230.7)
    And all our HQ local users can use the same update.mycompanyname.nl (192.168.5.6)

Now comes the problem:
    all these locations are in 1 vpn cloud.
    so 192.168.5.6 CAN be used to update... BUT update.mycompanyname.nl WONT work because the VPN locations WONT go through our local DNS but just the external DNS.
    So when de vpn locations have update.companyname.nl as their updateserver then they will be directed to 2xx.2xx.230.7
    And the external IP is not working from inside because then there will be a loop.

So what i want is:
    I want that the clients, will get 2 updateserver IP's..
    update.mycompanyname.nl AND 192.168.5.6
    so when they cant connect through the first... it will automatically try the second..

I belive this is possible with the 2 profiles?
    but when i test it.. it wont update, it only tries the first one.
    or does it only work with the scheduler?
    then i have to wait an hour to see if it works

5. Marcos

Right, it only works for update tasks, not for manual updates. You can test it by right-clicking the appropriate task in Scheduler and selecting Run now from the right-click menu.

6. xqlusivv

yeah i just found out that you can force the sceduled task like u say xD

but when i force it,
    and then click update (to see whats happening) it says updating update.mycompanyname.nl
    ofcorse it wont connect because that name wont work
    THEN it should (according to the scheduled task settings) automatically select the secondary profile and take that IP 192.168.5.6
    but that last step DOESNT happen, it just says idle again, and in logfile it says 'server connection error' (probably according to the update.mycompanyname.nl as it should be) but it just seems to like that he doesnt select the second profile.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2008
  7. Marcos

There is no such option in the right-click menu in Scheduler. Simply right-click an update task, select Run now and the program will update. If update using the primary profile settings fails, the program will try updating using the secondary profile settings. Just don't click on Update now manually.

8. xqlusivv

yeah i know.. and thats exactly what i do

and it SHOULD try the second profile but it DOESNT
    he only tries the first profile. thats the problem

9. Marcos

I'd suggest upgrading to v3. I reckon some v2 versions had problems running an update task using the secondary profile settings. You can try installing the latest v2, but upgrading to v3 will also improve protection against threats as it detects more than v2.

10. xqlusivv

ive dropped the lan update server, and the 2.7 clients

im now only using (in my test environment):
    remote administrator server, remote administrator console (both on same system)
    and a 3.0 client
    the update process works, ive got a nice configuration for the client
    but is it possible to retrieve the clientconfiguration.xml with the updates
    (lilke the old lan updater module, to inject the .xml with the updatemirror)

11. Marcos

No, but you can "push" a configuration with new update settings to clients using ERA.

12. xqlusivv

Ok, thank you very much for your time and support, i really appriciate it.
    Im now running everything in my live environment, and it seems working great.
    The clients update, the ERAC is nice and gives a great view of whats happening.

The only thing that keeps struggling is the 2.x updates, i tell the ERAS to also support the 2.x updates, and it makes a nice nod32v2 folder inside my mirror (including the NUP files). But when i update a 2.7 client via my ERAS server. It actualy downloads some updates and says thats it is fully updated but the virus database stays at 2007.

This problem is not very important, because im fully upgrading all my clients to 3.0. But to keep my 2.7 clients up to date till i got all my clients updated to 3.0. I need my old server with the Lan Update Server for full update all of my clients.

What i also found out, is that when i install the old Lan Update Server on my ERAS machine, and selects the same mirror folder for updates, that the Lan Update Server updates that mirror with the 2.7 updates, and then the 2.7 clients WILL get the latest definitions.
    Im gonna test a bit with that, to see why this wierd solution solves the problem.

I think that the 2.7 client just looks for the mirror folder whats called: c:mirror. and it wont see through the nod32v2 subfolder.

You probably think: why the hell are you still using 2.7
    Yeah i know, im busy updating evrything to 3.0. But this network infrastructure is about 1000 clients within 50 vpn locations. (and im not the network administrator here)

13. doktornotor

doktornotor Registered Member

You need to include that path in the v2.7 client settings... Like this:

Code:
    http://nodupdate.example.com/nod32v2:2221

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.