Nod32 2.7 bad at malware

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by ashrack, Oct 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ashrack

ashrack Registered Member

Just yesterday I had to clean my fathers computer because it got infected by some really rough malware which ofcourse first disabled NOD32 and totally destroyed it requiring a reinstall of NOD32 after I cleaned the computer with the help of this great guide:
    http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=139313

All of this had happened despite Nod32 AMON's module was enabled with the settings left at the default and the system virus database was up to date.

He was using Nod32 Trial 2.7.

How could this have even happened since NOD32 claims that is is also good at malware detection.

EDIT: MODs please move the thread to the NOD32 2 topic

Last edited: Oct 17, 2008
  2. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

You have posted into the ESET NOD32 Antivirus (v3) forum. V3 has better detection capabilities than v2 so I wonder if it would have detected the threat. Nevertheless, no AV detects 100% of all threats so if you come across a suspicious file, send it in a rar/zip archive protected with the password "infected" to samples[at]eset.com. Also enclose as much information about the file as possible which will speed up things.

3. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

Malware keeps advancing so Eset's NOD32 also keeps advancing. The current version is V3. I don't know what build off the top of my head. I'm using V3.650 and I'm behind the curve. You mention he's using a Trial V2.7? It probably doesn't even work any more. That's years old. :blink:

4. ashrack

so what, NOD32 2.7 is bad for malware and I would need to upgrade to NOD32 3.0 which has better malware detection?

I am reluctant to upgrade since I heard the Nod32 3 is more bloated than Nod32 2.7. The PC that is running it is an old Athlon XP 2600+, 512MB RAM

5. trjam

trjam Registered Member

Wrong. Version 3 is anything but bloated. I own it to and can say it is one of the fastest out there. So until you give it a try it isnt fair to think it wont accomplish what you need.

6. ashrack

compared to Nod32 2.7 does it use more memory and CPU?
    And would the NOD32 3.x detect malware that Nod32 2.7 doesn't?

7. stratoc

stratoc Guest

on both my xp and vista pc's v3 uses just under 40,000 (both processes) v 2.7 uses just under half that, neither version use much cpu, neither version slows any pc down that i can see.

8. stratoc

stratoc Guest

and following this and other threads on the v2 forum, if moderators are suggesting v2.7 is falling behind on detection, for your own sake pull the plug on it. it's still a paid for av with a great rep and people who pay expect good protection.

9. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

To answer your first question, exactly. He's using a v2.7 trial, not even a registered copy according to your first post. :)

10. trjam

trjam Registered Member

What I was refering to was your question of bloat ,and it isnt. Version 3 will clean better then before 2.7. Detection? None detect everything. So think what you want, but sometimes, their isnt crap that will save a PC that isnt regular cleaned and protected.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.