NOD32 2.5 and KAV 5

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Kye-U, May 20, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kye-U

Kye-U Security Expert

I'm running both :)

I'm wondering which one should I disable: AMON or KAV's Real-Time Monitor?

I was thinking KAV's Real-Time Monitor will catch more things than AMON, but I'm not sure.

This is why I'm posting this :)

Please provide suggestions, thanks! :D

2. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

Since KAV has a better backdoor/Trojan detection than NOD32 - I say that you disable AMON. You might also want to disable IMON......I'm not sure :doubt:

Besides, KAV updates are quite fast in case of new outbreaks ;)

Last edited: May 20, 2005
  3. Notok

Notok Registered Member

You might look at what you can integrate your AV with. For instance my email, download manager, and zip program all allow you to put the command line parameters in for your AV. If you can do the same, you could disable KAV and keep your system speedy with NOD32 resident.

4. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

I tried the new nod 2.5 and on my comp you can't tell any difference in speed between nod or My Kav5.0.227 actually Kav performs a faster on demand scan than nod.

5. Stephanos G.

Stephanos G. Registered Member

Hi bigc, im just curious because my NOD is flying in my pc.
    How many files per second did your NOD scanned?
    Thanks

6. hadi

hadi Guest

Hi bigc73542

You supply quite comprehensive list of online scanners in your sig (very much appreciated). KAV is on the list. Do you know about NOD. Do they have online scanner too. Thanks

7. SSK

SSK Registered Member

Hi BigC, did you try a couple of on-demand scans with NOD? The new version 2.5 builds up a database of scanned files, so consecutive scan should be quicker :)
    On my comp (A-XP 3200 / 512 Ram) NOD is noticable quicker then KAV 5.

8. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

KAV have a better detection than NOD32, but NOD32 is much more fast asn stable than KAV (on my system), and I never had a problem with NOD32 related with malware, so I would choose NOD32 ;)

9. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

for me nod32 is faster especially when i read cds but mileage my vary from computer to computer and user to user and i especially like its http scanner.

@Kye-U, KAV generally offers greater detection of malware so its better just to run it alone or u can go the other way and use nod32 with a good AT. i generally see little benfit of having a backup AV, unless ur determined to catch a virus that ur resident AV possibly missed.

10. Kye-U

Kye-U Security Expert

One's going to be Real-Time and one's going to be On-Demand.

I like NOD32's IMON (with it's Adv. Heuristics), and I also like Kaspersky's famous detection rates.

I cannot decide which real-time monitoring I should disable, NOD32's or Kaspersky's :(

I'm thinking of disabling NOD32's AMON.

11. bigc73542

I tried three full on demand scans with nod And the same with Kav without ADS to help speed the scan and Kav was still twenty minutes and some odd seconds faster every time. I really do think Nod is a good av but my computer does not like it. I installed panda internet security 2005 today and it completed an on demand scan in thirty one minutes still eighteen minutes faster than nod. Like I mentioned earlier, this comp just doesn't like nod. :(

12. bigc73542

I looked on their home site and I didn't see an online scan, they may have one but I can't give you the link. :(

13. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

Keep NOD resident. Better zero day protection.

14. colorado13

colorado13 Registered Member

Disable NOD32's AMON. I think KAV is better at trojan detection.

15. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

@the hammer - it does? the only programs that offer zero day protection that i know of, are sygate pf and prevx.

16. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

He means to say zero-day protection through heuristics. :)

17. The Hammer

The original question was regarding the real time monitor of a antvirus program,not firewalls or process or registry guards. Also I did find a zero day test which appears to support using NOD as resident. At least at the point in time at which the test was conducted at AV-Comparitives. And thank you Firecat. I was referring to heuristics.

Last edited: May 22, 2005
  18. The Hammer

Look for Retrospective/ProActive Test November 2004.

Last edited: May 22, 2005
  19. enduser999

enduser999 Registered Member

I am also looking at NOD32 and probably Kaspersky. However I have had a couple of situations with NOD32 that has cast some doubts on its reliability and throughness regarding definitions. NOD32 reported false positives in several files that have been on my computer for years as well as missing an infected attachment.

20. SSK

SSK Registered Member

I have had this with KAV as well. False positives are something anyone should be prepared for when using AV software. Best remedy: let the program always make a backup before cleaning/removing files. :)

Last edited: May 23, 2005
  21. webyourbusiness

webyourbusiness Registered Member

I've noticed increased scan times since NOD32 2.5 came out - up to nearly double their scan time before the 2.5 release - however, my full scans are scheduled in the middle of the night AFTER a disk defrag - I also know that the 2.5 release is scanning for a LOT more than 2.13 ever did - so a 45 minute scan in the middle of the night means nothing to me... what does it matter what the computer is doing at 3AM??

another thing I'm thinking MIGHT increase the NOD32 scan time - is I've recently added a defrag nightly - I'm experimenting with defragging every 3rd day and seeing if the scans in-between defrags are at all faster... just a thought - do you defrag regularly?

22. tahoma

tahoma Registered Member

in my opinion the only reason to use anything other than kav as real time scanner is speed. in my case i use drweb as my resident scanner and kav as a backup (for nightly scans and for manually scanning dubious files i may download)

i think nod32 offers about the same protection as drweb, so imho running kav as real time monitor and nod32 as a backups scanner is pretty pointless as u get the slowdowns caused by kav, and its very unlikely that an on demand scan of anything using nod32 will find anything that kav didnt already find. it should be the other way around, nod32 as real time scanner, kav as backup. all in my opinion

23. enduser999

enduser999 Registered Member

THats ok if the file in question can tracked down to a particular application. So if the application fails for some reason to run after cleaning you have a place to start.

24. bigc73542

I use diskeeper and it alerts me when I need to defrag which is usually every other day. I have it set to defrag before it gets very fragmented.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.