NOD versus Dr Web

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by n8chavez, Jul 20, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. n8chavez

n8chavez Registered Member

What is the difference between the memory scanning capabilities of Dr Web and NOD32? I mean as far as on-demand scanning is concerned. This is considered to be a strongpoint by Dr Web, but I'm just curious on NODs approach.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2006
  2. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

I've never seen the memory scanner of NOD32 "in action" - I mean, I never saw it individually scanning all processes so I don't really know.

But if I remember correct, NOD32's memory scan only scans processes and services, while Dr.Web (or at least Virus Chaser) scans processes, DLLs, services, any files that are accessed by these services and so on. :doubt:

3. steve1955

steve1955 Registered Member

another bloody THIS AV vs THAT AV thread!

4. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

Oh well, sometimes people like to poke around different products, and compare. What I do recommend is that if something works, then stick with it. The methods of working are always different, but the end result should be ---> Malware detected. Once that is done, there is no need for anything else (except maybe automatic registry cleaning from the AV).

5. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Steve....what may or may not help to understand is that initially this thread was placed in the Nod32 Forum with a vaild memory type question by n8chavez that related to Nod32. I personally do not believe the question n8chavez posed was intended nor do I feel it's "another" ABC AV vs XYZ AV no matter which forum it now resides in. Hopefully those that are knowledgeable about Nod and DrWeb can answer n8chavez question and no one is tempted to direct the thread toward this AV vs that one that you alluded to. If it does....it's fairly simple to remedy.

Bubba

6. steve1955

steve1955 Registered Member

Sorry but these type threads seem to be coming thick and fast at the moment(at all times really!)its just my opinion,but I think most of them are started just to "wind people up"(like you said this may be a valid thread/question but others have made me rather cynical:-sorry!)

7. n8chavez

n8chavez Registered Member

As has been stated, my intention was to not start another "which is better" thread. That's why I was very specific about my question.

That's why I started this thread in the NOD forum, because I was hoping to get information. And I wasn't trying to "wind people up." As many around here know I have licences for many AVs (NOD32, Dr Web, VBA32, KAV 5) for that would not help me one way or the other. I am way pickier than most and my worst enemy when it comes to things like this. But then again, that's half the fun. :)

That is the difference I was wanting to know. As you mentioned, there in no evidence of NOD scanning the memory like there is with the doc. That's what I thuoght; that NODs memory scanner is not as good as Dr Webs.

8. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

If these threads bothered me that much I would ignore them instead of getting all "worked up" over them.

Jerry

9. FirePost

FirePost Registered Member

Here is some evidence NOD scans memory as claimed. What processes are scanned I have no idea, but I also hardly think a display of "Look at what I am looking at now!" makes a scanner better.
    NOD32 cant cleane this Trojan (Log Posted)

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 21, 2006
  10. mercurie

mercurie A Friendly Creature

My thought as well. ;)

A side by side comparison question in my mind not really a which is best question. After all I am here reading it and checking responses it has my interest. :)

The Mods. do a good job of tending to the sheep around here so I would rather let them get worked up not me. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.