NOD updates

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by Stem, Apr 23, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

I have been using NOD32 for some time now (I have 2 current licences, but only use one at this time), with no problems as such.
    I have noticed over this time period, that when I perform a manual update, half the time I am informed that "Your version of NOD32 is up to date. No update necessary". which in itself is not a problem, but on my next attempt to update, the update as jumped from, for example, database 1.140 to 1.145, and thought it strange that there would be so many updates in the time period from my last update attempt (I normally make a manual update once a day). Looking into this I have found that I am being given this message "No update necessary" even when an update is available (have been keeping an eye on the "update alerts" thread), and it can take 2 or 3 attempts (one after the other) to be allowed to update from the server to the latest database release.
    I have checked to see if NOD is actually contacting the server when I am being given this incorrect info, and there are no connection problems, I have also re-installed NOD onto a fresh install of windows (in case of any possible corruption, or conflicts), but this "No updates necessary" continues, altough updates are available.
    I can only assume from this, that the server may be busy when I attempt to update, and is simply knocking me back from the updates due to this,...... which I would certainly not be happy with,... as I should not be informed that NOD is up to date,...when it is not.

2. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

First of all, the update server must be set to Choose automatically unless you update from your LAN mirror. If you still get this message, then the NOD32 registry entries must have been tampered with (e.g. you ran a reg file to import old settings).

3. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

Alway been set to auto for update server. (and as mentioned, the connection to the server are establised)
    No,..as I mentioned, I re-installed on to a clean XP installation,...... no reg utilities used.

EDIT
    I will E-mail support

Last edited: Apr 23, 2006
  4. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

Hello again,
    I am still having this problem with updating. My system has no connection problems, and the NOD servers are being connected to (all trafic is logged externally).
    As I mentioned in my first post, I update manually, I had not updated for 2 days, so on seeing the update alert (in the forum updates) I decided to update,.. this took me 16 attempts. Now if the problem was my setup, be it within NOD or my OS, or even my firewall, I would expect the problem to be constant, not intermittent. I cannot see the reason for these problems apart from at the server end, (somtimes I get update first time, other times 3 or 4 attempts, this attempt 16)

Pic from one of my last attempted updates (I did manage to update, 2 attempts after the screen grab)
    Regards

Attached Files:

• nod.gif
      nod.gif
      File size:
      72.7 KB
      Views:
  5. JRCATES

JRCATES Registered Member

Hi Stem,

I sort of notice the same thing. Occasionally, when I check the "Event Log", I will see an "Error connecting to server u1.eset.com" message (for Event) with the Module marked as "Update".

When I just manually checked for an update, I got the same message as you: ""Your version of NOD32 is up to date. No update necessary", even though I am at version 1.1677 (20060724)....when, as your screenshot shows, the "latest" update in dated 20060725, with a release version of 1.1678.

Of course, I am running the "trial"...so that may explain why I may be a little behind on my PC....

6. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

Hi JRCATES,
    I do not know of any "Priority" on updates from the "full" or "trial" (I currently have licence), I just think that if the server is busy (possibly backed up with the recent large update), then the user should be informed of this, not misinformed with the "popup" that "No update necessary" (NOD made server connection on each attempt)

7. JRCATES

Hi Stem,

Well, according to Marcos...there IS a "higher priority" according to registered versus trial users:

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=803944&postcount=51

Guess that answered that! :p :D

8. Joliet Jake

Joliet Jake Registered Member

I think this just needs a change in the pop up message to avoid any confusion in future. Not a big deal here as mine updates soon enough.

9. izi

izi Registered Member

Hello!

I have the same problem on 2 computers. Try to change update server. Works for me.

10. Marcos

You can also download the latest commercial version, it already has the large update embedded.

11. guilijan

guilijan Registered Member

12. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

Yeah I'd like to know that too. I want to dl a spare copy. In case I have to reinstall. Thanks.

13. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

14. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

15. Marcos

I've checked the engine version in the latest commercial installers and it was actually 1.1678. Though it's 2 versions behind, it was not possible for me to create an engine with all incremental updates and embed it to the installers. Anyway, paying users should no longer experience problems updating (I'll check the situation with my colleague) and trial / cracked version users will be enabled to download updates shortly. As you know, we plan to install new update servers soon. Given that such large base updates occur 3-4 times a year, I assume problems with updating should be definitely gone then.

16. Blackspear

:blink: :cautious: :blink: :cautious:

17. Marcos

Unfortunately it's impossible to distinguish between trial and cracked version users.

18. JRCATES

My thoughts EXACTLY!!! o_O :p

19. Blackspear

Oh well I guess we have to keep them happy, image the complaints if their cracked versions wouldn't update :blink: ;) :D

:D :D :D

20. Marcos

I think we've already seen some of them here recently :D

I'm not saying that all of those complaining were using a cracked version, but I'm pretty sure at least one of them was.

21. JRCATES

Well, one things for sure....it wasn't me!!!

I'll be the first to admit....I'm not smart enough to know how to "crack" any software!!! Heck, I just had a difficult enough time following Blackspear's suggested settings thread to set the darn thing up!!!!!!!:blink:

22. Blackspear

I think he was reffering to me :blink: ;) :D :ninja:

I did it that way just for you, don't want to make it simple you know, then anyone would be able to follow it :blink: ;) :D

23. izi

izi Registered Member

I don't use cracked versions!!!

24. Blackspear

No, I think he was reffering to me and my version of NOD32, one of these days I'll have to pay for it, though this version does update for 4 million years :blink: ;) :D :ninja:

25. henryg_1

henryg_1 Registered Member

Any Av system, for whatever reason, which erroneously reports sig. files as up to date is not competent and shouldn't be let near any computer system holding important data!

I would have liked to have tried it properly, but dispite assurances that the trial product would update today, it still gives false and misleading 'up to date' sig. reports. With regret, as I think it could otherwise be the product for me, this rules out NOD32.

The smugness and idiocy of those receiving updates as paid subscribers, but who don't appear to understand the inherent dangers, and unacceptability, of any system which allows false update reports in principle, is mind blowing.

Sadly, AVG is being installed now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.