NOD slow downs

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by Ed_H, Nov 23, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ed_H

Ed_H Registered Member

I decided to give NOD a try because Kaspersky Personal Pro 5 would not do a total scan without freezing my PC. Kaspersky support is trying to resolve the problem but I thought I would try NOD in the meantime.

So, I recently installed the trial version of NOD and I am noticing periodic slowdowns. Very surprising after all I have read about NOD! I have configured the settings based on Blackspear's posts. Are there other settings I may have missed?

Thanks

2. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

ffreedom01

If it is possible, you might want to add more info as to when the slowdowns occur. Is it in the on demand module where the slowdown occurs? Is it the realtime scanner that slows?
    It would also be helpful to know if KAV is completely removed from your machine.
    Are you using any antitrojan programs? Adware detecting programs?

This type info helps to pinpoint problems. :)

3. Ed_H

Ed_H Registered Member

Hi ronjor,

The slow down occurs primarily while loading web pages. Sometimes, opening a Word document can be a little sluggish as well.

I did uninstall KAV and cleaned the registry before installing NOD. I do have Ewido AT but I usually disable the real time guard due to the performance hit. I also have AdAware and Spybot S&D installed but no real time scanner.

Thanks for the help.
    Ed

4. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Ed

You could try changing some of the settings in post eight of the thread and see if your speed picks up.

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=37509

There will be other suggestions as well.

Also in post twelve, you could try unchecking email and archives and see if that helps.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2004
  5. Stan999

Stan999 Registered Member

As a test, to maybe help narrow down the problem, disable the IMON HTTP checking to see if that helps with loading web pages.

6. eisefr

eisefr Registered Member

I would advice you to download the processexplorer and check which process is using alot of memory or CPU.

THe link to the site is here:
    http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/freeware/procexp.shtml

the direct download is here:
    http://www.sysinternals.com/files/procexpnt.zip -Windows 2k / XP -
    http://www.sysinternals.com/files/procexp9x.zip - Windows 9x / ME -

Maybe its not NOD32 what's slowing down your system but something else.
    With this tool it would be easy to find the responsible task.

Hope this helps.

*edit*
    I added a screenshot of the PE for you.
    Hope thats ok.. ?

Attached Files:

7. Ineke

Ineke Registered Member

If you had KAV 5 it leaves a lot of kl streams behind on your disk, so i no because i had too.Read this..

Only use if planning to uninstall Kaspersky Personal 5.0x or Personal Pro 5.0x or newer since Kaspersky will just recreate the streams the next time it gets a chance to scan the ADS-less file.

It can give yoy problems whit an other antivirus software..

All files have the streams, i can send you the streamremover if you want !!

8. Ed_H

Ed_H Registered Member

Thanks everyone for the suggestions! Here is what I have tried so far:

ronjor - I experimented with the settings in the thread you sent me but I did not notice any speed up.

Stan999 - I disabled IMON and again no improvement in response.

eisefr - I did use processexplorer and wintasks and there really is nothing using up lots of cpu cycles or memory. In any case, I shut down things not needed.

Ineke - I have to display my ignorance...what are kl streams and are they only used by KAV?

Lastly, I uninstalled NOD and reinstalled KAV and there is a definite boost in performance. Switching back to NOD and things slow down again.

I'm confused!

9. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

You have something on your system that AMON is constantly checking and thus slowing down your system, it's a matter of finding what program is having this conflict with AMON and then excluding it.

Can you please send an email to support@nod32.com and place a link to this thread. If you do not hear from Eset within 3 days (allows for weekends), please advise us here...

We would also appreciate being kept in the loop as to your progress, we all learn this way...

Cheers :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.