NOD scanning on sites

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by Robyn, Jul 31, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Robyn

Robyn Registered Member

I realise NOD scans pages on websites and normally I do not even notice it is doing anything.
    It does slow some sites down compared to my computer which I have
    AVG Pro installed but last night I was on a site which was based on Flash.
    The site was fascinating with graphics but I had to wait each time while
    NOD scanned .swf before the pages loaded o_O

I have gone to the same site again today with my AVG computer and the site loads without any slow downs which makes the effects even more stunning. I know it is not the speed of my connection given it loaded well with this computer. I know I have NOD configured to the highest configs. but will NOD scan these files all over again if I go back on my computer running NOD?

Other sites are barely noticable but the one I enjoyed last night and today
    I did have to wait while the little scanner took each page. I am not impatient
    but just wondered if I could exlude one site in the future. o_O

2. Brian N

Brian N Registered Member

Click IMON > Setup > HTTP > and set 'swith to passive mode' to 1KB.
    This should speed things up for all websites :)

Attached Files:

3. Robyn

Robyn Registered Member

Thank you Brian, I will try this later when I have my NOD computer on. :cool:
    I am still confused with all NOD's Imon - Amon etc :oops:

Will check out the site again with IMON configured, thanks.

4. rjbsec

rjbsec Registered Member

Why do this - what difference does it make to the way the software operates?
    (Not a criticism but a request for understanding)

5. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

From the help file:

Compatibility Setup

Client compatibility setup provides an option to toggle between active and passive mode (better efficiency and better compatibility respectively) used for a particular application.

IMON works in two modes: „passive“ and „active“. In passive (higher compatibility) mode, portions of a downloaded file are continuously passed on to the target application whilst IMON stores a temporary copy of each of the fragments. When the last fragment is detected, the whole file is scanned for viruses. If an infiltration is detected, a warning window appears and the connection with the particular server is terminated. A disadvantage of that is that the already downloaded portion of the file may already contain a fundamental portion of a malicious code. What's more, if the application repeatedly attempts to download infected file, it may use the already downloaded data and request only the rest of the file. In such case, IMON may not find nothing suspicious in the remaining portion.

In active (higher efficiency) mode, IMON first downloads and scans whole file and then passes it on to the target application. This procedure is safer because in the case of an infiltration the application does not receive any portion of the downloaded file. A disadvantage is that the application receives all data at once, therefore it cannot show the download status properly. Therefore, if the download lasts for more than 5 seconds, a small window showing the dowload progress pops up beneath the system tray. Active mode is not suitable for certain types of data which requires a continual data flow (e.g. multimedia, streaming video/audio).

The Server compatibility option enables you to set Higher compatibility mode for particular servers regardless of the mode set for the particular browser.

Switch to passive (compatible) mode for files larger than ... KB - if enabled, files larger than the specified size will be downloaded in passive mode automatically.

Switch to passive (compatible) mode for files being downloaded that take more than ... seconds - if enabled, files being downloaded will switch to passive mode after the specified time has elapsed. This setting is useful for larger files or for slower connections.

6. rjbsec

rjbsec Registered Member

Thanks, most helpful.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.