NOD, program updates, and antirootkit Qs.

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by Carbonyl, Nov 15, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Carbonyl

Carbonyl Registered Member

I'm currently running NOD 32 v 4.0.437 and I've noticed that there's now an updated version available. I'm a bit mystified by this, since I've seen NOD tell me that program modules have been updated in the past few weeks, so I know it's been updating signature and program files OK - But I'm still running on an outdated version somehow?

Additionally, I've noticed that several people have noted that the most recent version of v4 has weird problems saving files. I'd not like to encounter that.

So I suppose my questions are (1) is it safe to be running on this older version of NOD v4, or am I unprotected from some threats and/or exposed to bugs and flaws that are fixed in the upgrade, and (2) how can I ensure that NOD updates itself properly?

Also, as an unrelated question (since I don't want to open two threads!) what Antirootkit software plays nice with NOD v4 on Windows 7 x64? Sophos was the only x64 compatible version I found, but it doesn't seem to run despite claims of compatibility. I've seen Avast Antirootkit, but I'm not sure if it's a stand alone scanner, or a full A/V package that will conflict with NOD.

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you!

2. Brambb

Brambb Registered Member

A PCU (program component update) is needed in order to update the version of ESET automatically. A PCU for v4 isn't yet distributed, see this thread.

You do get module updates, as mentioned. They update program parts of you ESET version such as the archive module, cleaning module, adv. heuristics module, ect. When your not experiencing bugs its not needed to update your version manually since protection would be the same for all version. I for one do update to each version and I just install over the top without any issue's.
    You can see which modules you have on the 'about' page (GUI: help --> about).

As for a compatible rootkit program, I cant help you with that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.