Nod Outlook plugin conflicting with use of OOM features

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by reinier, Aug 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. reinier

reinier Registered Member

We have developed an Outlook Addin which is currently released to our customerbase. The addin relies heavily on the Outlook Object Model (OOM) features such as the creation and setting of custom user properties on Mail and Folder objects. During development we noticed a problem on machines running Nod32 4.x that also had the Nod32 Outlook plugin installed. Now the same problem is also being reported by customers in the field.

The problem:
    When new mail is added to the "Sent Items" folder after sending an email, our Addin needs to create and/or set a custom userproperty on the email object. Then the mail item needs to be saved by calling the Save() function. This should be no problem as I've just loaded the mail item, but when the Nod32 Outlook addin is active an exception always follows:

Exception Source: Microsoft Outlook
    Exception Type: System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException
    Exception Message: The operation cannot be performed because the message has been changed.
    Exception Target Site: Save

Apparently the Nod32 Outlook addin detects a change in the custom userproperties on the mail object and then changes something on the object again, making it impossible for me to save the mail item ! After playing a bit with the Nod32 settings it appears to be the "Read email" setting in the "Email clients" group of settings that is causing the problem here. Having unchecked this, all works normal.
    Ofcourse this is not a solution for our customers, as we don't want to have to advise them to disable certain features on their virusscanner.

Could you please tell me why the plugin is changing something in the mail object when i create/set a userproperty on it ? What does it change? What does the "Read mail" setting have to do with my newly created and sent mail ?
    And do you consider this a problem in your plugin as well and is it possible to fix it ?

I have reproduced this problem on a machine running Windows 7, Outlook 2010 x86 and Nod 4.2.71.2. I have created a simple addin demonstrating this problem and can supply you with it if needed.

Thanks

2. reinier

Has anyone from ESET read this topic yet ? It's been five days since i posted it and no reactions yet.

If this is not the right place for an issue/bugreport like this, please let me know where i should go to get this looked into by ESET.

Thanks

3. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

4. reinier

Thanks, will do that

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.