nod has a problem

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by larryb52, Apr 26, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. larryb52

larryb52 Registered Member

I will admit there are probably 1000's of users with no issues with v4 but bottom line there is something that is not working for everyone & this effects me as well. My problem is only temp. I go to a site & I get timed out but try again I get there but this gets old & it's not every time. Others have other such issues, this is btw either ESS or the AV but bottom line I sometimes get to a site & sometimes it says I have no connection at all. FWIW it's not just my machine, my wife has this issue as well, I am back to v3 ESS & you can see the difference in speed, I know ESET is working hard to resolve these issues and I hope it's soon. Also for those that think I have something that is not kosher with my machine. I run 0 other products I use ESET that's it so and I use a registry cleaner & have tried all kind of things to get this to work as I respect the company & have trusted the company to keep my machine clean & to be honest they have & I hope this gets resolved soon, thanks...

2. trjam

trjam Registered Member

Larry, one thing I do with Version 4 that I didnt do before, is listen to it. What do I mean, ok.

When setting it up, under Real time file sytem protection, if you click of AH it says may effect system performance. I dont tic it. The same for Run time packers. It says it, so I listen. Also under Advanced setup, Advanced heuristics on file execution.

By adhering to these settings and what might entail, my system performance is on par with all the other suites. I have seen no impact. I am not saying this will help you, but it helps to keep looking because once I found my niche with ESS, I love it.

I do understand that folks are still having some issues. I know Eset is listening and working to resolve them, but trust me, isnt this true with all the products out there. Just visit a vendors support forums and you will see. Eset is close, I think very close to getting V4 right for all.

3. larryb52

thanks but yes I tried that & its good for a couple hours than bang get the dead link, it just works ok for some not for others...

4. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

SInce you're using ESS, I wonder if disabling the firewall makes a difference. If so, I'd suggest enabling logging of blocked connections, replicate the issue and then check the firewall log for details about the blocked connection.

5. larryb52

I will try when I get home tonight, Marcos, thanks!

6. larryb52

ok I logged & recreated it where do I see why it was blocked?

7. trjam

trjam Registered Member

Its late over there Larry. Hopefully Marcos can address this with you in the morning. Thanks for sticking with resolving the issue.

8. larryb52

I think I have as it hasn't missed a site since, I deleted the network & had windows reinstall the drivers than ran my reg cleaner & installed clean, seems to be fine. I had one site (on a small server I would mention, it's one of my baseball stats sites) not load but everything else is lighting fast & I'm pretty satisfied. I'm like you own many other programs but ESET has been my default AV/suite so I'm here for solutions tho I'll admit to having a fit once in a while but that's just frustration...

9. trjam

trjam Registered Member

great and totally understand. Eset is why I first came here. And I am sick and tired of sitting back and watch some, take their pot shots at a vendor who opened the door to real security for others. Eset is now making the next step and yes, some are feeling it has them out of the comfort zone of the past. I do feel for them. I have been their my self with several products. But if you had the faith in them, then you should keep that faith and give them some time. It really is starting to come all together.

And for those who feel I have lost my mind, Lol, then you obviously have no idea how this all works.:cautious:

Larry, make sure you point your comments towards Marcos in the morning so he can see them..

Ps. It never hurts to shoulder a little of the burden on your own backs, when it comes to your own setup.:thumb:

10. Marcos

Hi Larry,
    what exactly was logged in the firewall log? Could you post here some of the records created at the time you couldn't access a particular website?

11. larryb52

I'm ashamed to admit I don't know where to look, I'm not much of a firewall guy & thanks...

however, since then things have looked great & I have no further issues so I feel safe in saying I think this is not an ESET issue, what I think solved it for me was deleting the network & letting it reinstall...than a clean install thanks again...

Last edited: Apr 28, 2009
  12. larryb52

I talked too soon couldn't get to google...

13. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

I wonder if you could do me a favour and change your primary and secondary DNS servers to OpenDNS, reboot router and PC and try again? Do you still get the issue?

If you don't know how to change them please let me know.

14. larryb52

you lost me, except for resetting the router, unless you want me to go into the netgear setup & chg the dns settings? but I'm at work now...FWIW it only stalls at a site once in while like it just chokes it, I'm wondering if it's a setting in auto firewall...

15. Marcos

Try going to the main setup -> Personal firewall -> IDS and advanced options and unticking the "Block unsafe address after attack detection" checkbox.

16. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

Yes this is what I mean, browsing to opendns.com will you give two IP's at the bottom of the page to use for your DNS, basically enter those two and reboot the router + PC.

I ask this because I'd like to know if it is a DNS issue, because I don't believe that it is, I think it's a further problem in ESS.

17. larryb52

will do thanks Marcos...

18. larryb52

it's not a DNS issue, I think it has to do with the autofirewall & for some unknown reason not being able to resolve the host site. When I go to a site that stalls, it doesn't show in the browser any chg it's like you just did nothing but you can see it trying to resolve the host but as stated it stalls. Refresh the screen & bang it goes there. So the bowser knows to go but some some reason it can't get bandwidth to move that's why I used a non technical term like choked...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.