NOD for DOS

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by WilliamP, Oct 15, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WilliamP

WilliamP Registered Member

Ok here is the situation. I wanted to be like the big boys,who have a back up AV to use as a scanner. Well I tried. I downloaded KAV Lite and set it up to not load at start up. The monitor didn't run. Well I was having problems with the system locking up when I did certain things. I removed KAV and now I think everything is normal. I know a lot of people have two or more AV's and don't have problems. A lot of people told me to get F-Prot for DOS. Well I have NOD Ver 2 so I figured how about NOD for DOS. Can anyone tell me how, first download,store it on the computer,and then use it. Also does it get updated and if it does how do I deal with the updates? Thanks for the help.

2. MegaHertz

MegaHertz Registered Member

WilliamP,

Just download the .exe from Eset and save it to your HDD. Then run the executable and it will extract the contents to a new directory named Dos32, it will be located in whatever directory you execute the dowloaded file in. In order to update it you must redownload the exe file from Eset everytime a definitions update is released I usually only download it every few updates or if there is detection for a particularly nasty trojan, virus or worm added. Running it is simple you can run it from within windows, but personally I always reboot with a special boot CD I've made and run it from there. :)

3. WilliamP

How do you know when updates are available for the DOS VER? Does it have to be run from a boot disk? Thanks for the help.

4. MegaHertz

Whenever they release an update for the regular version the DOS version is updated as well. It does not have to be run from a bootdisk, but I do recommend it.

5. WilliamP

Why do you recommend it? And how do you keep the disk updated? I appreciate you help.

6. MegaHertz

I recommend it because it allows you to scan your PC from a clean environment avoiding potential conflicts with other running applications. It is also useful when you are trying to clean an infected PC since the virus is not active. You can also boot off of a floppy and run the scan directly from your HDD. I just go through the effort of a Rescue CD because I often get calls to go help someone with PC problems and it is easier for me to remember one CD with everything I need already on it. As far as keeping it updated I usually just open the ISO and add the definitions file which is really what you are updating.

7. WilliamP

Thank you for the info.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.