Nod cleaning help?

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by tobamore, Aug 28, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tobamore

tobamore Registered Member

Hello, I'm new to this program so please be gentle ;) I bought nod32 2.12 today after reading a lot of good things about it, but I'm already beginning to get a little worried. My problem is that I downloaded an eicar test virus (benign) and ran a scan via nod, this was easily and quickly found, so I then ran 'clean' on the folder containing said file. The result was nod telling me that it can't clean the infiltration, I then promptly navigated to the directory and deleted the file normally. If nod can't even do this, then all the best scanning in the world is pretty useless if it can't delete/treat the threat, am I doing something wrong, or have I bought a turkey?

mtia,

T. (worried ex NAV user)

PS while I'm on this subject, how do I force the context scanner to run 'clean' instead of 'scan' when selected please?

2. sick0

sick0 Registered Member

i think because there is nothing to clean. when an AV "clean" an infected file, it usually means restoring the file to its uninfected state and removing the viral code in it.

eicar cannot be clean because there is nothing to clean, the whole file is the test virii string so you just have to delete it. just my IMO

as to your second question, i was wondering that as well. i hope someone here can help you.

3. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Do a right click scan on a benign file. When the window pops up, make the adjustment.

Attached Files:

4. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Don't forget the help file included with NOD. Much info in there.

5. blahblah

blahblah Registered Member

yes i wanna know too.......to me the 'clean' and 'scan' options r pretty confusing.....

this is a quote from this thread https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=37509 "To have Nod32 use all the settings you have just configured, with a scan, you need to click on “Clean” not “Scan, scan will advise you of a problem, however it will not let you choose a action, this is the function of “Clean”."

ok after reading that i was like wtf....this is how i understand it 'clean' is just 'scan' with cleaning actions (or options), righto_O?...if it is y don't they just get rid of 'clean' and leave only 'scan'....i mean y can't they just make 'scan' scan for viruses and after the scan it would let us choose an action to clean the file instead of having to run 'clean' agian.

6. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

If you do a scan and a virus shows up in the log window, you are able to right click that entry and select an option as far as what to do.

7. blahblah

blahblah Registered Member

hrmm ok if u can clean (disinfect) with 'scan' like u said then wat does the 'clean' option for? o_O

8. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Consult the help file with the program and see if that helps.

9. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

Let's see if I can try to make it a little clearer.

Using Clean
    Upon detection it will perform according to what you have set in you profile.
    i.e. If you have set your profile to automatically delete, it will delete.
    If you have set it to prompt for further action, it will stop and prompt you for further action on every infected file found

Using Scan
    Upon detection it shows up in red, and goes straight past on to the next file.
    At the end of the scan, you can go back through and right click that infected file for further options...

Clearer? I hope so ;)

Cheers :D

10. tobamore

tobamore Registered Member

It is clear, thank you for your time to explain this, but it still begs the question, why are scan and clean still seperate? After all, scan will point out a problem, but not react to it (automatically - why?), whereas, clean will do it 'after' or instead of a 'scan'. I admit that I am no expert (as is evident) but it would still make more sense to have a system that scanned files/folders and reacted directly (ie prompt on discovery) rather than wait for further input (other than to decide on whether to delete/rename etc)

I hope this makes sense, it's been a long day!

11. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

From what I can see, it is just basically 2 different profiles, scan allows one to simply make a scan, with clean you have it set to specific settings and actions and it will perform such...

There are times when only a scan is wanted, as in you may not want to be prompted, you simply want it to scan and give you the results at the end...

Hope this helps...

Cheers :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.