NOD and Outlook Express?

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by JRCATES, Jun 4, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JRCATES

JRCATES Registered Member

I use Outlook Express as my default email client, and I also use Thunderbird as well. Seems like I've heard that NOD is more or less kind of geared towards working with Outlook, but NOT with Outlook Express or Thunderbird.

So my question is....is it counterproductive to use Outlook Express or Thunderbird for your primary email client if you use NOD? Can you use NOD with other email clients, like Yahoo or Gmail? Also, can someone please explain in a little more detail why NOD doesn't seem to work with Outlook Express...OR....if it does, why I've heard from some people that it doesn't scan incoming/outgoing mail....and/or if that's even correct, or incorrect, etc.?

2. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

I would say that it's best not to listen to the "backyard experts" :rolleyes: :D

NOD32 works perfectly with Outlook Express and Thunderbird.

Cheers :D

3. NOD32 user

NOD32 user Registered Member

The EMON is module primarily for Outlook - not by it's own design, but because not many other mail clients support MAPI etc. required for them to operate EMON. The IMON module scans all incoming mail on POP3 as well as HTTP, so your normal email is checked en-route to Outlook Express this way. Secure traffic is not scanned by IMON (eg. Gmail and internet banking). In addition DMON checks documents and AMON checks all files on create/access/execute so as you can see NOD32 provides multi-layered protection against threats.
    To answer your question - no, it's not counterproductive to use Outlook Express or Thunderbird if you use NOD32. It's just counterproductive (IMO) to not use NOD32 :)

HTH

Cheers :)

4. ASpace

ASpace Guest

You never have to worry about your security when you use NOD32 . The guys from ESET have though about everything .

The EMON module (Email Monitor) scans Microsoft Clients such as Outlook Express and Office Outlook

If you use something different from Outlook or Outlook Express , then IMON is the one that scans your mail because IMON (Internet monitor) scans all HTTP traffic + port 110 for emails so Thunderbird is checked by IMON

If you use Gmail then EMON and IMON don't check it because Gmail uses encrupted port so the data is much more secure (SSL , port 995). Nothing can check encrupted data and that's why if you use Gmail , then AMON will check these . AMON (Antivirus monitor) checks all file on-create , on-access and on-execute so you are always protected

If you somehow don't want to use DMON , EMON or IMON , then AMON (the main protection) will scan it and will protect your PC :)
    :D

5. Graystoke

Graystoke Registered Member

A little confused here. I thought EMON only scanned Outlook, not Outlook Express. I thought IMON handled Outlook Express. I apologize if I am incorrect.

6. ASpace

ASpace Guest

Think simply . Office Outlook is much expensive since it is in the Office Pack . Outlook Express is free , part of the Operating system . Why then it won't be scanned ? :D :D :D Anyway , I don't think it is important because at least it scanned no matter which component of NOD32

7. NOD32 user

Sorry HiTech_boy but EMON does not operate at all in conjuction with Outlook Express.
    IMON operates on POP3 traffic on Port 110 and checks that type of incoming email regardless of the program you are using.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2006
  8. alglove

alglove Registered Member

EMON scans using the Extended MAPI interface. To date, the only program that uses this is Outlook (not Outlook Express). The Extended MAPI interface allows NOD32 to work as an Outlook plugin, so it can scan messages at the Outlook folder level. This means that EMON does not care how the messages get there, whether it be POP3, Exchange Mail, IMAP4, or even encrypted e-mail (since by the time the message has reached the Outlook folder, it has already been decrypted). If the message is in an Outlook folder, EMON can scan it.

Outlook Express and Thunderbird, however, do not make use of Extended MAPI. Simple MAPI, yes, but not Extended. This means that EMON will not work for these programs. However, if they are set to receive POP3 e-mail, then the IMON module will scan the incoming POP3 traffic at the network level, before it ever reaches these programs.

If you have Outlook set to receive POP3 e-mail, then your e-mail will be double scanned. First by IMON, and then by EMON.

9. ASpace

ASpace Guest

Wrong !

your email will be trippled scanned , First by IMON , then by EMON and after that with AMON :)

10. JRCATES

JRCATES Registered Member

Thanks to all of you for your help and replies. I think I understand this a little better now. So basically, EMON is included (by default) to scan Outlook email ONLY!

BUT....

IMON will scan POP3 e-mail traffic before it reaches either Outlook Express or Thunderbird. So basically, Outlook Express and Thunderbird ARE scanned, just by IMON and not EMON.

OK, now...just a quick follow-up question.....regarding this:

"If you use Gmail then EMON and IMON don't check it because Gmail uses encrupted port so the data is much more secure (SSL , port 995). Nothing can check encrupted data and that's why if you use Gmail , then AMON will check these . AMON (Antivirus monitor) checks all file on-create , on-access and on-execute so you are always protected"

I have Thunderbird set up and use Gmail through it. Will this set-up create any kind of a problem, and does this mean that Thunderbird will NOT be scanned, even by IMON?

11. alglove

alglove Registered Member

If you use Gmail with Thunderbird, then IMON will not be able to read the data stream coming in from the network, because it is encrypted. However, if you do happen to receive an e-mail with a malicious attachment, then AMON will pick that up once you try to open the attachment.

(This is what HiTech_boy was alluding to when he said that Outlook e-mail will be triple-checked. ;))

12. Graystoke

Graystoke Registered Member

Thank you alglove and NOD32 user. :)

13. NOD32 user

No worries - I'm here to help :)
    It is possible for an advanced user to install and configure an SSL proxy so that IMON can still check the email.
    Marcos has posted about this -->HERE<--

Last edited: Jun 5, 2006
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.