NOD 5.0.94.0 hour and forty minutes scanning time??

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by acillatem, Nov 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. acillatem

acillatem Registered Member

NOD 5.0.94.0 did it's weekly scan tonight and it took an hour and forty minutes. I only have a 40gb hard drive, with about 31gb used up. Version 4 took close to an hour sometimes, but this is a bit ridiculous.

Does anyone any idea of what might cause this? Any feedback much appreciated. Thanks in advance!

2. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Are you positive that you haven't copied any new files to the disk since running the last scan with v4? Did you use default settings in v4 and so you do in v5? Just for a test, you could install v4 now, update it and repeat the scan to see if it's indeed faster.

3. acillatem

Yes, I'm absolutely positive I haven't added any files to the disk since v4. The weekly scan is a scan of the C drive, and it's set at in depth scan, just as v4 was.

4. Marcos

As suggested, try running a scan with a fully updated v4 again. Scans with v5 should be significantly faster than with v4 unless you have a lot of archives on the disk.

5. siljaline

siljaline Registered Member

Avoiding the obvious, have any of the scan targets changed ? As shown in Figure 1.6

6. acillatem

No....it's just set to scan the C drive, and in depth scan, same as version 4. I just ran a scan, and it took an hour and 25 minutes, with 297422 objects scanned. I'm going to uninstall it, install v4, and try that for comparison.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2011
  7. siljaline

I run an in depth scan by profile settings on mutiple drives under EAV v4 business, total time to completion, 35 minutes.

If you will be reverting to the older v4 build you may want to export your settings so as to avoid having to reconfigure either or.

See my prior comments on scanning targets.

8. acillatem

Well, I did the comparison, and they're essentially the same.
    5.0.94.0 - 297422 objects scanned. 1:25
    4.2.71.2 - 299235 objects scanned. 1:29

Set up the same with both versions. http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j161/metalliholic06/eset-1.jpg

I've never done it by profile settings, maybe that's where the problem is......could I be going overkill on what is being scanned? Any suggestions on what profile settings to use?

What seems weird is that I ran the scan on version 5 first, simply uninstalled that version, installed version 4, then ran that scan on that one, and there is a difference of 1813 objects. Not sure if that means anything.

An hour and a half just seems ludicrous. Any suggestions on the profile settings to use? That seems to be where my problem is.

9. acillatem

Well, if I set it up to scan exactly the way it is shown in Figure 1.6, it shouldn't take an hour and a half, correct? Yours only takes 35 minutes, so something is definitely wrong, wouldn't you say?

10. siljaline

You could reset your scanning targets (see illustration per my screenshot) and submit a support ticket to ESET as this is a frequently occuring problem.

Attached Files:

11. acillatem

I'll try that. Think I should try a scan with those settings to see if it makes a difference, before submitting a trouble ticket?
    Oh, so this lengthy scan time is a known issue and nothing I have set wrong?

12. acillatem

O.k. I don't get this.......if I check the box next to my computer, it puts a check in all the boxes, just like in my screenshot(and yours) screen shot, but when I select profile settings from the drop down menu, it unchecks all the boxes, and vice versa (hence why the drop down menu is blank in my screenshot). What the hell am I doing wrong?

Attached Files:

• eset.jpg
      eset.jpg
      File size:
      45.8 KB
      Views:
  13. siljaline

You and I are not running the same software builds. I run the v4 business and I would guess your back at v5 home. This is a tricky bit with the software that can be painful to set-and-forget. Best best is to submit a ticket instead of a lengthy thread here. Unless you can select in-depth scan via an existing profile your software has an issue I cannot see. This is the extent as to how much I can help you.

14. acillatem

I think I got it......had to go into the computer scan setup and make a profile. At least I think I got it right. It looks right in my screenshot, yes?

Attached Files:

• eset.jpg
      eset.jpg
      File size:
      42.5 KB
      Views:
  15. siljaline

Looks like we have a Winner :thumb: Ensure the profile is set for in-depth via the profile you have selected and you are good to go.

Run a full scan now and see if your selection runs a full system scan within a reasonable amount of time. One hour should be an absolute maximum regardless of data to scan.

Export your saved settings and keep them in a safe place.

I will check back later today to see how you made out. Thanks for hanging in there.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2011
  16. acillatem

O.k......you lost me a little on that one. How do I ensure that it's set right?
    And, thanks for the help.

17. siljaline

Based on what you illustrated in your last screenshot, you have correctly set the in depth on-demand scan parameters. Leave those as-is.

What this means is this: your scheduled scan, weekly, daily, etc - will run within those selected parameters. If you ran an actual on-demand scan, the engine will use the same selected parameters.

Read the export settings link when you have time to save yourself having to reset everything if you do a reinstallation.

18. acillatem

Here's three screenshots to show how I did it. It seems right. I go to computer scan setup, that gives me what you see in the first screenshot.

I select In-depth scan from drop down menu, then click on setup next to scan targets, which gave me the second screenshot you see, checked the boxes as shown,clicked OK. That allows me to have what you see in the third screenshot. Sound correct?

Attached Files:

19. siljaline

These would be correctly configured, thanks ! Well done.

20. Marcos

Just to rule out cache or other new optimizations in v5, do the tests with Smart optimization disabled.

21. acillatem

How do I do that?

And, when I ran the test with this configuration last night, it still took an hour and a half. Plus, the startup scan is taking close to 5 minutes, and I was told that it should be about 10 seconds max with this version. If this is how it will be, it's the end of using NOD32.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2011
  22. Marcos

1, just to make sure - is the computer in question connected to the Internet ? If so, subsequent scans aren't faster at all?
    2, does disabling archives and sfx archives make scans significantly faster?

23. acillatem

It's always connected to the internet. And no, the scan last night with the configuration a few posts back, took an hour and a half.
    I have no idea what our second question means, sorry. How do I do that? I've ALWAYS just used this program "right out of the box" and never had this problem. If you can tell me how to disable whatever your talking about, I'll gladly try.

24. acillatem

I'm assuming you mean uncheck the boxes next to archives and self extracting archives, yes?

Attached Files:

• eset.jpg
      eset.jpg
      File size:
      27.6 KB
      Views:
  25. Marcos

Yes, but make sure to disable the 2 options in the profile you'll use for scanning.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.