NOD-32 Using too many resources?

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by dorel_c, Jan 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dorel_c

dorel_c Registered Member

I just installed NOD_32 trial version.
    I see quite a bit of slow down on my computer, and Process Explorer reports that ekrn.exe uses over 42MB of memory.
    Is this high memory usage normal?
    What do you guys see?

I have a home made 2.8GHz Pentium-4, 1GB RAM
    Running WinXP SP2 updated.
    Checked for HD errors yesterday, and used CCleaner today.
    Defraged yesterday.

Any ideas on what is normal and what I need to expect as memory usage?
    Thank you

2. GAN

GAN Registered Member

I use Vista x64 with SP1 and ekrn.exe use about 38mb ram so i don't think the 42mb is abnormal. I do not notice any slowdown though. 1gb or ram isn't a lot, but i guess it depend of the usage of your computers if 1gb is enough or not.

Maybe some more details about the slowdown could make it easier to help. Where do you notice the slowdown. Is the boot slow, file access and what kind of files, starting applications, browsing or something else. Do you use the default settings or did you change the settings and what kind of changes? As much details as possible would make it easier for people to help. With the details given so far it's hard to give you any tips at all.

3. Bunkhouse Buck

Bunkhouse Buck Registered Member

One of my systems is almost identical to yours, and I notice no slowdown at all. NOD32 AV is lighter on my machine than Avira Premium (without webguard), Dr. Web, or Norton. It is the lightest on my box of any I have tested. Make certain you don't have any other memory resident anti-malware programs running. You can run them on-demand.

4. SaphireX

SaphireX Registered Member

2GB of RAM is the sweet spot for XP 32-bit so if you can add another GB that might help...

Myself I am running Vista64 Ultimate and NOD32 64-bit. Don't even know that it's running it uses so little resources and has such a small footprint.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v242/Saphirex/ekm64.jpg

SaphireX

5. dorel_c

dorel_c Registered Member

Of course it's always a good idea to upgrade the RAM.
    Unfortunately, since I have this machine for a while, I was thinking that might be the time to upgrade the whole computer to a new one, so until I save the cash needed I was trying to stay with what I have.
    Otherwise for what I am using it (uSoft office suite, mostly outlook and spreadsheets, some AutoCAD and small engineering programs, etc) it's been working fine for all this time.
    Used before Norton Antivirus and when subscription expired I just wanted to go to something else as I do not like the direction they took with the software and cramming everything on you. I just want an anti-virus that works reliably, and I really like Zone Alarm firewall which I've been using for a long time.

I see the slow down when I open applications, or try to open files by double clicking on them (like *.doc, *xls, *jpg). It does not seem to matter what I am opening it just takes for ever to do it.
    I have to admit that I have not timed it with a stop watch, but I don't need to as before they would open is just 2 - 4 seconds, and now takes close to one minute sometimes. So it is noticeable.

6. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

I suggest you use the older 2.7 software since it was designed for lower grade machines. You can use your current license.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.