NOD 32 - The Worst Anti-Virus for other AV vendors

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by worldcitizen, May 15, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. worldcitizen

worldcitizen Registered Member

I used Nod 32 for over a year and had some problems with the program not loading properly causing my PC to get infected so I requested and received a refund at the time and bought Kaspersky Pro and used that for a year.

Although Kaspersky Pro gave me 100% protection I missed the faster scanner of NOD 32 so when KAV expired I decided to buy NOD 32 again.

Now, after having it installed for maybe a few months I'm fast finding out that it is the absolute worst anti-virus for other AV vendors. I adjusted the settings and haven't heard a peep for months and haven't been infected or even received any messages. Sometimes when I check I can see that it cleaned some infections but basically I wouldn't wish this AV on my worst corporate enemy such as Kaspersky, Norton and others etc because it not only leaves them for dead but enables me to really enjoy my time surfing ANYWHERE without the slightest worry in the world.

So, Yes NOD 32 is the world's worst AV for other AV companies because it out guns them, out performs them and is so quiet I don't even know it's there at all. Updates perfectly, protects perfectly and doesn't slow down my PC so if I were Symantec or Kaspersky I would be cursing NOD 32 every single day but because I'm me I just want to say that for USERS this is the absolute BEST AV in the world. But for other AV companies it is most certainly the very worst!!

2. NOD32 user

NOD32 user Registered Member

Re: NOD 32 - The Worst Anti-Virus for .........

:)

Glad to hear it's all running well and that you like it :)

Cheers :)

3. gates

gates Registered Member

wise words indeed :D

4. ejr

ejr Registered Member

I agree that NOD is an excellent antivirus solution. It is also pretty good as an antispyware solution, though not sufficient on it's own for that purpose.

However, when I tell people that I use NOD32, the response is almost always "I've never heard of that". With such a great product, why don't more people know about it?

5. Lollan

Lollan Registered Member

At first I was :'(

Then I was :D

I love :D threads.

6. BeBizzy

BeBizzy Registered Member

That's the way we want to see. A unhappy customer changed to a happy customer and even advertise for it. :thumb:

7. i_kenefick

i_kenefick Registered Member

No Antivirus product gives you 100% protection. ESET themselves call this type of claim snakeoil.

That's great news that you have good success with NOD32. I also find it an outstanding solution. However I also think that Kaspersky is excellent. Their v6 product have massivly improved performance.

8. ASpace

ASpace Guest

Yes , me too . Most people even haven't heard of NOD32 before I tell them about it and then they say " yeah , great" , but that's it . IMO , the biggest problem is that ESET are not advertising it so much . See KAV/KIS 6 today ... I hope ESET will find a way to make NOD32 more popular so more people will be able to say "Protected by NOD32 Anti-Threat system" :thumb:

I love NOD32 :D

9. Lollan

Lollan Registered Member

Well, in the US, most AVs don't really advertise at all.. they just get contracts with the huge OEM dealers and customers settle for what they have, not knowing there is better out there. :(

10. ASpace

ASpace Guest

What is ESET doing then?! *puppy*

11. Carver

Carver Registered Member

I can surf it confidence anywhere and at anytime, and not worry that I will be infected by any virus; trojan. I look at my quarantine folder and it has 5 or 6 trojans, NOD32 protects silently thanks to BlackSpears setting.

12. screamer

screamer Registered Member

From PC World May 2006 pg.31

Letters to PCWorld.com

I realize that you can't test them all, but I was suprised that you didn't include NOD32 from ESET, about which there seems to be a lot of buzz lately.
    Greg Randis, via e-mail

Editor's responce: "We chose not to review NOD32 because we were told it's upgrade, while forthcoming, would not be available until soon after the article's publication."

My responce: what's wrong w/ reviewing the current versiono_O

...screamer

13. Lollan

Lollan Registered Member

I stopped reading PC Magazines a long time ago, it seems whoever can fork out the most money gets the best products instantly.

14. screamer

screamer Registered Member

Almost all industry specific rags are ad driven. Just take a look at the Audio & Home Theatre rags. Largest companies (eg:most profitable/large ad campaign)
    = Best Reviews.
    Although there are a few Best pdt's from smaller, lesser known companies. They are far & few between.

..screamer

15. Lollan

Lollan Registered Member

I like to say: Buy Other Stereo Equipment. But this is an antivirus thread and I'm hijacking it, so I'll leave at that. :p

16. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

I completely agree with you, worldcitizen! :D

That is why I renew my license last week... :D

17. Red Dawn

Red Dawn Registered Member

I also was a customer and support person for Symantec Antivirus, and while I still use it on my home server, my everyday laptop, and workstations all use NOD32. Like most, it was word of mouth that lead me to this great package that does outstanding work. ESET isn't as large as Symantec, but without a doubt, they beat them on performance and support, hands down. I only wish more corporations would change to NOD32, so that my job wouldn't be so tough. In the end though, cross my fingers, I really hope this "next amped up version" isn't bloated and doesn't force you to use their firewall or whatever else they slap in there. I will always support their anti-virus software, it's that other stuff I don't need, just the same great software with better options, detection, etc...

18. Ailric

Ailric Guest

That's a bold statement. KAV 6 has better trojan and spyware detection and updates even on weekends! :D

The resource usage of KAV 6 is less than NOD32.

KAV is the standard by which all AV's are compared.:thumb:

19. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

Now I wonder who is making such a bold statement :blink: ;) :D

20. TheQuest

TheQuest Registered Member

Hi, Ailric

That's called Catch Up. :D

So does NOD32 when needed.

Now that is one of the best joke of the day. :rolleyes:

Take Care,
    TheQuest :cool:

21. Ailric

Ailric Guest

Quote:
    KAV is the standard by which all AV's are compared.

"Now that is one of the best joke of the day."

Then prove it wrong. :D

22. rothko

rothko Registered Member

or, prove it right! either way would be a tedious, no-win and pointless exercise

23. Ailric

Ailric Guest

24. NOD32 user

NOD32 user Registered Member

http://www.nod32.com/company/awards.php

I do quite like av-comparatives. Can anybody tell me if any of the samples NOD32 aparently didn't detect were actually ancillary files related to a virus but non-functional without the main component (ie. not a virus in themselves)? Of course we should stay on topic, however each time I look at those results I ask myself this very question :)

Also, www.virusbtn.com is another very nice comparative.

Cheers :)

Last edited: May 16, 2006
  25. YeOldeStonecat

YeOldeStonecat Registered Member

Along the Shorelines somewhere in New England
    I'm not knocking KAV because it's an excellent product..if for some reason I could not use NOD32, KAV would be my next choice to be a reseller of.

KAV has greatly freed up their product from being heavy on resources...but the two rigs I tried 6 on...NOD32 still feels lighter. Granted KAV feels a lot lighter than previous versions of KAV...but "seat of the pants"...I still feel NOD has the edge.

All you need to do is grasp the concept of heuristics..and realize NOD32 uses heuristics more...to realize that comparing the fact that just because KAV leans more on definitions...there's simply no logic in attempting to state it's better than a heuristics based AV such as NOD32 because NOD32 doesn't update on weekends.

It's really OK to think that there can be more than 1x top notch antivirus program. How many people like exotic cars? Do you ONLY like a Lambo? Do you ONLY like a Ferrari? Or are you capable of appreciating a few models from Lambo, Ferrari, Porsche, BMW, Lotus, etc etc.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.