NOD 32 Failed to install.

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by Ron Doran, Jan 23, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ron Doran

Ron Doran Registered Member

I have presently installed, on a license that expires 8/14, Nod32 5.
    I am also Administrator.
    I was invited to install version 6 which I attempted to do. Result was deleted 5, but didn't install 6. No error or report.
    Did a system restore and tried to download 6 from their website. Result was 5 deleted and an error report which said 'Service ''ESET Service'' (ekrn) could not be installed. Verify that you have sufficient privileges to install system service. (OK)
    How do I verify? What do I verify?
    Windows 7 Ult.
    Thanks in anticipation.

2. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

3. Ron Doran

Cudni - Thanks for your advice, which I have not acted upon yet, as I am concerned as to how I overcome this problem...
    'Verify that you have sufficient privileges to install system service. (OK)'

4. Ron Doran

Cudni - Tried your suggestion, and indeed many others, and I still arrive at
    ''Verify that you have sufficient privileges to install system service. (OK)'
    I am now at a loss as to how to update something that I have pre-paid for.
    I am set as Administrator - should there be other settings for Administrator?

5. Janus

Janus Registered Member

Hello Ron Doran (just a suggestion from a user)

This is maybe a long shot, but you can try this if you want. Uninstall Eset, then it ask for a reboot.Before installing Eset again, then try to completely disable UAC and then reboot Again, before reinstalling. If that still does not help then you can always contact Eset Costomer Support. Link: http://www.eset.com/gr-en/

Regards, Janus

6. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

I've seen systems where permissions were crippled and the fastest way to circumvent it was disabling UAC.

7. Ron Doran

Janus/Marcus - Thank you both for replying. What might 'disabling UAC' be and is it involved?

8. Janus

Janus Registered Member

Hey Ron Doran

Here is a explanation for what UAC is, Link :User Account Control . My suggestion/idea was based on, what Marcos also writes, that sometimes systems permissions/rights can be corrupted/crippled , and thereby preventing correct installation.

Regards, Janus

Last edited: Jan 28, 2013
  9. Ron Doran

Tried the above suggestions and still the same 'Verify...'
    Sorry to be so boring.

10. Marcos

Another reason for the aforementioned error could be that there's malware actively blocking installation. The best course of action would be to create a SysInspector log and have it analyzed by ESET's staff. Also an install log created per the instructions here as well as a Process Monitor log created at the same time might shed more information about the cause of the error.

11. Ron Doran

Marcus - Sorry, this is getting too complicated for me.
    I was looking for a suggestion that an eight year old or a reader of the Daily Mirror could understand.
    Just a thought - why would In get an infection when I am running NOD 32?
    Cheers.

12. Janus

Janus Registered Member

Hello Ron Doran

A security solution like bitdefender, avast or Eset is just to be looked as another lock to your door, that will give a little more security to your system, but as you know, not a guarantee for keeping everyone away . A good security system, for a home user, should a least have 3 layers, and could roughly look like this : A good stable antivirus solution, who has a good record of detection over a long period,e.g. 2 years. A drive backup that backs up your files and folders, operating system or even your entire hard disk to any storage you choose. It could be Paragon Free, or any other, just ask the forum. A good backup solution will recreate your system anytime, so in case were you have been infected by malware,or you have problems whit a software, then the backup will recreate your system. Lastly, a good password manager to secure your passwords, is also a good investment. There are good free ones like LastPass or paid ones like Roboform...... Now to your problem, do you have any other security solution running real time like Malwarebytes, if yes then please uninstall these. If no try Eset's online scanner to check if malware is one your system, link to online scanner. And lastly try to contact Eset Support, and get some online help to create what Marco's suggest in post 10.

With kind regards, Janus (Hang on, Ron Doran :) )

13. Marcos

You can also call your local customer care who will assist you.

14. manak

manak Registered Member

Check ekrn.exe(ESET Service) is still running. (Of course it should be deleted.)
    You have to make sure you uninstalled ESET Nod32 v5 properly.
    This message may occur when the files or registry keys are locked and the Windows Installer is unable to overwrite them.
    If you uninstall ESET Nod32 v5 properly. Delete the contents of Windows temporary folder and ESET folders
    Restart the computer and try to install.

Are you using Windows 7 Ult. 64bit or 32bit?
    Why don't you double check you downloaded right install file for your OS

http://www.eset.com/us/download/home/detail/family/2/?installer=offline

Thats is just my two cents.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2013
  15. Ron Doran

Janus - Thanks again for persevering with me.
    I have most if not all what you suggest. I ran the online antivirus scanner and am pleased to report zero threats found.
    Our family motto is 'There is a way - find it!'
    I will plod on with others suggestions.

16. Ron Doran

Marcus - Thank you also for your interest.
    It may be difficult for me to call 'local customer care' since I live in Cyprus.
    However we shall see how it pans out.

17. Ron Doran

Manak - Thank you also for your interest.
    I will try your suggestions later as I intend to watch Man. U V Southampton on the PC soon.

18. Ron Doran

I am pleased to report that I have finally installed Antivirus 6.0.308.0
    Thank you all for your kind help.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.