NOD 32 - Blocking email?

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by cacherlady, Jun 13, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cacherlady

cacherlady Registered Member

Help please!

I've only been using NOD 32 antivirus for a few months, but I seem to be missing a lot of emails - some very important, & am also hearing that ones I've sent are not being received all the time. It is very hit & miss, with some going through or coming through & some not. Does anyone know how I can solve this problem?

Thank you,
    cacherlady

2. NOD32 user

NOD32 user Registered Member

Hi cacherlady,

Just so some of the others are better able to help when they see your question, could you let us know a little about your setup please?
    what program do you use for your email, what version of windows you are using, and the name of your ISP?

Cheers :)
    and welcome to Wilders :)

3. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

And what firewall are you using?

4. cacherlady

Thanks for the nice welcome.

I am using Windows XP Home & Outlook Express is my preferred email. I have Clearwire as my internet provider. I have really harrassed Clearwire about not getting or receiving all my email, but they could find nothing wrong & had my PC checked out & it's fine. Then, I uninstalled NOD to see if that was the problem & that seems to be it. No one has been able to help me modify the settings.

Even worse, I've lost my NOD CD, so can't even re-install it!

Thanks for any help.
    cacherlady

5. NOD32 user

NOD32 user Registered Member

Well, it is unusual in my experience for NOD32 to be stopping emails at all - far more common for an ISP to have anti-spam built in to their network that they're not telling you about. Still others may be able to assist you further with that.

If you still have your NOD32 username and password you can definately download the program again from -->HERE<-- or -->HERE<--

If you have lost your username and password then go ahead and get in touch with the reseller or distributor you originally purchased from and they should defiantely be able to help you out with that.

6. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

Agreed.

Are you getting some emails coming through?

Cheers.

7. alglove

alglove Registered Member

Clearwire has a webmail interface ( http://www.clearwire.com/store/email.php ), where you check the e-mail by signing in to a webpage through Internet Explorer. Try checking the e-mail there, since that will be totally unaffected by NOD32.

Once you are in there, poke around for some antivirus/antispam filter options. They may be intercepting your e-mail before you ever get a chance to download it.

As for the lost NOD32 CD, you can still download the program from http://www.eset.com/download/registered_software.php . You will still need your username/password to access this, though. If that is a problem, some of the others here can probably help you.

8. cacherlady

Thanks to all of you that have answered my post.

I do have a web mail account with Clearwire, but it does not receive any email...probably because I always check Outlook Ex. first. I've set up OE to check both accounts when I go to my mail.

I get zero spam with NOD, but when I uninstalled it, I was overwhelmed with it. I installed a temporary 30 day trial of McAffee & it obviously blocks no spam at all. But, I seem to be getting my emails since I uninstalled NOD. Most of them. I can't receive any email from AIM-AOL free email. That isn't important, but my OE is extremely important.

I've found that I was getting about 2/3 of my email & about that many were getting received from me. But there was no rhyme or reason why, since all of those emails were either from or to friends & relatives.

I do a LOT of replies on the same message to one friend & I know this can be a problem, but the other messages were just single emails that I never received.

I decided to get rid of Clearwire & go with Comcast & wasn't able to get that to connect for some reason, & not wanting to pay for their pricey installation, just took the install kit back & stayed with Clearwire.

I'm so frustrated about it. I started using yahoo mail & just learned they've got a nasty virus hitting their email customers, so now I'm downright desperate to get decent protection & still have a useable Outlook Express.

Thank you all for the link to download NOD again. You're the best!

Thanks for reading this.
    cacherlady

9. Blackspear

Hi cacherlady, welcome to Wilders.

Have you tried another email client such as the one from www.mozilla.com called "Thunderbird", it is free and has a very powerful junkmail filter.

Cheers :D

10. cacherlady

Thanks for that Thunderbird link! I had never heard of that before, until I joined this forum, & I wondered what on earth that was! I'm going to give it a shot, at least for awhile. Most web mail is inconvenient, with all that logging in & out, but if it gets rid of the spam, I'm all for it!

Are there any issues with NOD using the Thunderbird mail, that you're aware of?

Thanks again,
    cacherwoman

11. Blackspear

None whatsoever.

Let us know how you go...

12. cacherlady

It's me again! I just downloaded the Thunderbird email & I loved it! Only one catch. I tried to reply to a message that had been exported from OE & it wouldn't send. Said something about the SMTP server might not allow it or something? I have no idea if that's the problem or not. my SMTP server is Clearwire, but I don't know if I should have something else in that category or not.

Oh well, it was fun to play with the new account anyway!

Thanks again,
    cacherlady

13. pc-support

pc-support Registered Member

The smtp server should be mail.clearwire.net

You say that with NOD installed you were missing lots of emails. Did you ever get any messages popping up on your screen about infected emails?

And with NOD uninstalled you've started receiving lots of spam emails? What sort of spam? NOD does not have a spam filter so would not stop it unless it was the phishing type of emails.

You say most. So NOD probably isnt to blame. What other software do you have installed on your computer?

Given the fact that you dont know the entries for smtp then I assume you had NOD setup as it was installed? ie nothing extra ticked/changed/etc?

Assuming that you do have a basic setup, I can see no reason why NOD would have deleted anything without telling you.

Ah, you did have the 'out-of-the-box' setup!

Howe often did you get infected emails through?

What a very understanding ISP. Did they send an engineer round??!!

Last edited: Jun 14, 2006
  14. screamer

screamer Registered Member

cacherlady,

If you would prefer to continue w/ OE, I would suggest using a quality "spam Filter" <www.Qurb.com> and auto configuring Blackspear's NOD32 settings.
    <http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=131758>
    By far, the easiest way to set up NOD32.

If you feel that you are loosing e-mails. Log onto your ISP via your browser and check your "web mail" every now and then. NOD shouldn't stop spam, it's not designed to have that funtionality, however it will block virus infected e-mail.

I've been using Qurb for years. I've tried others, but always return to Qurb.

hth,

...screamer

15. cacherlady

Well, the setting seems to be right for my SMTP...mail.clearwire.net, so that's a different story I guess.

It's very odd about all the spam I'm getting swamped with since uninstalling NOD. I never got ANY at all before. Maybe Clearwire has some type of spam blocking, but I don't even have a junk folder, so they're not putting it in that. NOD has only notified me of one virus in the six months I've had it & it just halted everything till they removed it. They never come on & say a message has been blocked or anything like that. It's like some ghost is just randomly grabbing emails & scraping them off. I have my mail set up to send a read receipt, so that I can see if the recipients are getting my sent emails. I don't even get those, except for one friend that uses Comcast & I do seem to get those receipts.

Yes, a technician did come out & sent several emails back & forth to his place of work & all of them made it but one, & that one never came in. After weeks of going back & forth with them, they finally said the problem was resolved. 2 days later, I again did not receive 3 emails. Probably more than that. Some people just assume I got their emails & don't ask whether I did nor not.

I've been told that there have virtually been no complaints, anywhere, from anyone else, about not receiving emails through Clearwire.

My computer is newish - bought it in Jan., at the same time I had NOD installed & am using Windows XP home. I had Microsoft Word installed & that's it. I do use a PdA & GPS & have programs I've installed for that, which shouldn't be interfering with my mail.

I'm wondering if my whole outlook express is corrupt & need to uninstall windows completely - shudder, shudder!

Thanks to everyone who's given me some excellent tips & links.

Cacherlady

16. pc-support

Hi Cacherlady,
    It sounds as if the problem is either with your ISP or Outlook Express but not NOD.

Are you still losing email now that you have switched to Thunderbird?

17. cacherlady

Thank you PC Support.

I haven't been able to use Thunderbird - at least not to send messages. It won't go through due to some sort of difficulty with the SMTP (mail.clearwire.net). Drats! Every avenue I try seems to be blocked!

Tried to reinstall NOD32 & now it won't accept my password. I'm going crazy!

Not your problem, I know! Sorry for the whining.

Thanks for your help & support.

Cacherlady

18. pc-support

Make sure you have password authentication turned on for your smtp server.

Click here

q

19. Blackspear

Please ensure there isn't a space before or after the Username or Password, as in the current Username is 10 characters long, a space will make it 11 characters long and incorrect.

1. Highlight your Username by clicking next to the 1st letter and dragging the mouse to the end of the last number, make sure there are NO spaces before or after the first or last character.

2. Right click on the highlighted text which will popup a new small window (as shown below)

3. Left click on “Copy”.

4. Then right click and “Paste” your Username.

5. Do the exact same steps for your “Password”.

20. Graystoke

Graystoke Registered Member

Maybe I'm wrong, but just double checking. You keep saying that SMTP is ok, and then show your SMTP setup as, mail.clearwire.net. My ISP is Comcast. My setup in Outlook Express for incoming mail is, mail.comcast.net, for outgoing (SMTP), it's smtp.comcast.net. Is this the way you have is setup for Clearwire? I've never had any problems with Outlook Express and NOD.

21. cacherlady

Thanks Blackspear! The copy & paste seemed to do the job! I thought I was typing it in correctly, but must have added a space or something - who knows? So now I've got my NOD back! Just hope it doesn't screw up my email again. Should I leave it set the way it was downloaded, or do I need to tweak some things?

cacherlady

22. cacherlady

Graystoke,

Thanks for the reply.

No, my Incoming & outgoing setup both just have mail.clearwire.net. It's not typed in as SMTP, but it is in the window that shows the SMTP server.

It's odd that different providers use different settings. I once had Earthlink & changed to EPUD & tried to set the mail up the same way & it didn't fly!

I wish so much that I could have made Comcast work, but it just wouldn't connect so I took the set up kit back. They said it might be a faulty modem, but...how common is that? I figured it was something else & didn't want to burn up a tank of gas running back & forth to Comcast. Didn't want to pay the 100 bucks for them to do it either. But my husband is quite good at cable connections & we've never had to use the services for hire with most things.

Thanks,
    cacherlady

23. Blackspear

My pleasure :D

It always does ;) :D

I’ve never seen it do what you are saying, and I’ve installed NOD32 on over 1000 systems… so you should be fine.

I would take a run through this thread

24. Graystoke

Graystoke Registered Member

Cacherlady....

Sorry to hear you couldn't get Comcast up and running. I have been very happy with them. Did you try their phone tech support, 1-800-COMCAST? They always helped me out in time of need. Comcast has a great support forum also. I better stop before I get yelled at for hijacking the thread. ;) :D

25. alglove

alglove Registered Member

Cacherlady, if you are still having problems with your outgoing e-mail, can you post the exact error message you are getting about the SMTP?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.