Nod 32 and Total Commander 6

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by Tebi Tan, Nov 21, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tebi Tan

Tebi Tan Guest

Nod 32 and Total Commander up to 5.51a worked fine.

Now there is Total Commander 6 and there is a huge delay in startup (when clicking on Total Commander it takes a very long time till program runs).

This problem does not appear with Total Commander 6 and Panda Antivirus 7 Platinum.

Could You fix the issue

2. Godzilla

Godzilla AV Expert

Total Commander (former Windows Commander) is ASPack packed.
    Even Kaspersky scans here longer - same happens to some of the Opera Browsers.
    And your Panda AntiVirus can't even scan ASPack runtime compressed files.
    It scans this file just raw - thats why panda is that fast.

There is nothing to fix.

3. Tebi Tan

Tebi Tan Guest

Please read my post.
    I think that also the other versions of Total Commander were the same packed.
    The exe file is only 80 KByte longer of ver. 6, and it takes about 10 times longer to load in comparison with ver. 5.51a.
    So I must disagree with You.

4. optigrab

optigrab Registered Member

Hi Tebi Tan

Why don't you try excluding Total Commander from NOD32 scanning - so there will be ZERO delay (not just reduced delay)?

Note that it takes a small bit of effort to get the NOD32 "exclude" feature to work. For assistance, see this thread:
    http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=13536

Also, should this question have been posted on the NOD32 Version 2 forum? Or are you still using NOD32 V1?

Regards
    Optigrab

5. Tebi Tan

Tebi Tan Guest

Thanks optigrab. Exclusion is a solution and now works much faster. However I do not think that for an antivirus scanner exclusion is good. What if something infects the program (since I use it most)?
    Regarding ver. 2, You are right, I am using ver. 2, so it is in the wrong forum.

6. optigrab

optigrab Registered Member

Hi Tebi Tan

You have a point, however I look at it this way (although I'm no expert):

By excluding Total Commander, you are not just making it load faster, you are improving NOD32's efficiency by telling it not to continually scan a program that you trust (because Total Commander is not a virus).

NOD32 is primarily supposed to catch viruses before they do any harm - before a program like Total Commander would be corrupted.

Also, we must consider how likely it might be that you would catch a virus that is designed to infect/corrupt the Total Commander executable file. It doesn't seem likely that a virus would be written to do this, and hopefully NOD32 would catch it before it did any harm anyway.

Just a few guesses on my part.

Regards
    Optigrab

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.