Nod 32 and Outlook Express

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by bimbobo, Aug 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bimbobo

bimbobo Registered Member

Hi,
    after installing NOD 32 and sending a couple of mails to my Outlook Express as a test, I cannot see "any mail" in the list of file scanned..
    Then I read that NOD 32 cannot scan Outlook Express and I have to set IMON to do the job, checking port 110 and also 995 (Gmail)..

How can I see if NOD is now setup correctly..?

I would like to be sure that at least the received mails are "scanned".

Thanks in advance and regards

Last edited: Aug 25, 2007
  2. ASpace

ASpace Guest

NOD32 does not scan outgoing emails (only EMON for MS Office Outlook) . However , this is not needed as AMON scans all files on-access .

IMON scans POP3 mail but port 110 only , it cannot scan encrypted email like Gmail's using port 995 .

If you use Outlook Express with Gmail , IMON will not be able to scan them . Only AMON will scan your mail/attachments on-access

If AMON is enabled , you cannot get infected . If you use Gmail (I use it ,too) - Google have their own antivirus and anti-spam filters and Gmail won't deliver SPAM or infected messages to your mailbox (via POP3)

3. bimbobo

One word = THANKS

I have 1 more question... is there a place in the forum where to find a good suggestion about how to configure NOD 32?

I use standard settings, but maybe you can suggest another configuration, without though a lot of unnecessary warnings, false positive, and blocking of other "stuff", like Alcohol and other tools. :)

Regards

4. YeOldeStonecat

YeOldeStonecat Registered Member

Along the Shorelines somewhere in New England
    Have you...looked at the sticky thread right at the top of this forum?

5. bimbobo

Yes, I did, but it seems a very "high" security level..
    Last time I tried with other AVs and increased at higher level, I was constantly interrupted and had false positives.

I know NOD does not have many... but what is "the bad" using the "recommended" default settings.., and what "MUST" be changed to a decent level, not a paranoid one :D ?

Regards

6. ASpace

ASpace Guest

You are welcome !

As YeOldeStonecat pointed out , the Sticky "Extra settings" by Blackspear is great way to learn more about NOD32 . However , if you feel it is difficult for you , no problem .

There is nothing wrong/nothing bad in the default configuration of NOD32 , only the fact that when threat is found , it will pop-up and let you know or rarely ask for confirmation . Using the default settings , use the "In-depth analysis" scan profile (from Control Center -> NOD32) when doing manual scans

7. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

You won't have an issue with any of those settings.

Cheers :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.