No XP service pack for pirates

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Peaches4U, May 23, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Peaches4U

Peaches4U Registered Member

Computer users who are running pirated copies of Windows XP will not be able to install Service Pack 2, which is expected to be out in the second half of 2004, Danny Beck, the Windows Product Manager for Microsoft Australia, says.

"Prior to installation, SP2 will check against a list of product IDs which are known to be counterfeit. If the ID is one of the known pirated ones, the service pack will not install," Beck said.

http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2004/05/21/1085028501147.html?from=storyrhs

2. laughable

laughable Guest

OS Name Microsoft Windows XP Professional
    Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2 Build 2600
    OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation

lol. uh huh.

3. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Microsoft changed their mind on this issue.

4. MikeBCda

MikeBCda Registered Member

I'm glad MS did back down some on this -- while the subject is certainly open to argument, they apparently decided that getting SP2's security protections as widespread as possible was more important than whether specific copies of XP were less than legal.

If you got SP2 via CD, as I did, the folder it comes in includes an invitation to pass it on to others once you've installed it.

5. HandsOff

HandsOff Registered Member

They've changed there mind more than once....

Mike, are you saying that it will install on XP's of dubious character and you are glad or

it will not install and you are glad?

personally, just like with medical immunizations, i am for protecting everyone as it provides the maximum protection for the group.

- HandsOff

6. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

I have a custom version of xp pro and it is 100% legal but win. updates wouldn't let me install sp2 it said it could not verify the reg no's. I spent at least an hour talking to several MS techs trying to figure out why I couldn't install or download sp2 from win. updates. What we finally figured out was that the original oem xp home that came originally on this machine still had it's reg numbers on the comp and with those plus the xp pro numbers there was no way win downloads was going to allow me to get sp2. If they hadn't changed their policy on downloading sp2 I would be stuck. I wonder how many more with this problem there are out there. So here is one xp user that appreciates them letting all get sp2.

7. MikeBCda

MikeBCda Registered Member

I'm with you, HandsOff, and that's what I meant -- sorry if I didn't get that across too clearly, which unfortunately is all too common.

I agree with you and MS, that the protection should be as widespread as possible regardless of whether or not the individual system is running a legit copy of XP. This is one case where there are more important issues than fighting piracy.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.