No Username and Password provided to NOD - but NOD dosent "pop up" and tell me this!

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by TBR, Jan 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TBR

TBR Registered Member

Hi All,
    NOD32 didn't have my username and password to contact the update server in order to receive the latest definitions. (It was a fresh install of XP and i must have neglected to do it)

However i didn't get any USEFUL notification that this was something i had overlooked.

I say useful because i noticed that at random intervals during the day I would get the Windows Critical Error sound boinging at me - but nothing showed up in event manager and there was no visual indication of what was causing this to happen, just the sound every so often.

So i spent ages trying to work out why at random intervals my computer would boing at me, even if it was just sitting doing nothing at the time.

I eventually got round to clicking on the NOD32 icon in the system tray and ONLY then did i get to see the Error box saying the username and password was not valid, by which time im 5 days out of date.

Surely it would be better to have this information pop-up on screen when this error occurs and not just when i click the NOD32 icon? If i didn't have sounds enabled i would have been unaware and unprotected.

NOD32 antivirus system information
    Virus signature database version: 1982 (20070116)
    Dated: 16 January 2007
    Virus signature database build: 8788

Information on other scanner support parts
    Advanced heuristics module version: 1.045 (20070116)
    Advanced heuristics module build: 1133
    Internet filter version: 1.002 (2004070:cool:
    Internet filter build: 1013
    Archive support module version: 1.052 (20070115)
    Archive support module build version: 1179

Information about installed components
    NOD32 For Windows NT/2000/XP/2003/Vista/x64 - Base
    Version: 2.70.23
    NOD32 For Windows NT/2000/XP/2003/Vista/x64 - Internet support
    NOD32 for Windows NT/2000/XP/2003/Vista/x64 - Standard component

Operating system information
    Platform: Microsoft Windows XP
    Version: 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2
    Version of common control components: 5.82.2900
    RAM: 1024 MB
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 CPU 6600 @ 2.40GHz (2402 MHz)

2. webyourbusiness

webyourbusiness Registered Member

if you enabled silent mode, you disabled the popups... are you in silent mode?

3. TBR

TBR Registered Member

Re: No Username and Password provided to NOD - but NOD dosent "pop up" and tell me th

No im not in silent mode.

You DO get a popup - but my point is that it dosent "Pop-Up" until you double click the NOD32 Tray Icon.

So unless you click the icon, all you get is a Windows Critical Error sound every so often when NOD goes off to try and do an update.

However because you need to double click the NOD32 tray icon to see the Pop-up you don't have a clue what causing the sound.

4. ASpace

ASpace Guest

5. TBR

TBR Registered Member

Re: No Username and Password provided to NOD - but NOD dosent "pop up" and tell me th

Well, we could start by confirming if its a bug or not, so it can be fixed.

Could somebody remove their username and password from the update section, wait a few hours and then click on the NOD32 system tray icon to see if the error pop-up window appears? You will know when update has attempted to get the latest definitions as you should hear the windows error sound when it fails due to wrong username/password.

If so that would confirm it on someone else's machine.

It's only when you click the NOD32 system tray icon that you get to see the error event in the form of a warning window.

The event is being generated when the update occurs its just not properly informing the end user as it should show you the warning window without having to click on the NOD32 system tray icon in my opinion.

Am I making sense here? :blink:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.