No swap file after Disc Clone

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by d_deweywright, Sep 3, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. d_deweywright

d_deweywright Registered Member

I just downloaded True Image 8 last night (9/2/04, sorry I don't have the build number in front of me) to clone a failing drive. Overall the process went reasonably well. There was an error reading one sector of one partition, which TI nicely let me ignore and continue, but all was not perfect. This is a dual boot, 80GB drive, laid out as follows:

Primary partition:
    C: - 4GB - Windows 98SE
    Extended partition:
    D: - 4GB data and applications
    E: - 61GB data and applications
    Primary partition
    H: - 4 GB - Windows 2000 Pro

Upon removing the old drive and booting the new drive into Windows 2000, I finally received a message about too little virtual memory and no Swap File. And couldn't get past that and into Windows to tell it to allocate one. I finally wound up restoring that partition from a previous Take Two backup, which solved the problem. Anyone know what would cause this and why TI Disk Clone wouldn't get the Swap File?

Oh... I was booted from the Windows 98 partition to initiate the clone.

Thanks for any thoughts!

Dave D-W

2. boejoe

boejoe Registered Member

The TrueUmage PDF User Guide actually states it explicitly on pg. 20 that:
    "Acronis True Image does not include swap file information (win386.swp under Windows 98/Me and pagefile.sys under Windows NT/2000/XP), or hiberfil.sys (a file that keeps RAM contents when the computer goes into hibernation). This considerably reduces the image size and increases the speed of creating the image."

I always thought that this was OK because when you start up a system it creates new swap (or cache) files. What my suspicion is that when you restored your backup you reduced your partition to the actual size used by the files, leaving little or no unused space for the swap/cache files.

3. d_deweywright

d_deweywright Registered Member

I see that now that you point it out, of course, I was doing a disk clone, but I would assume the two operations would be similar in that respect. I'm a bit concerned about the fact that W2K wouldn't let me continue to boot and create the swap file. And I realize now that I haven't yet tried to boot up into Win98 yet. I'll do that next.

--
    Dave

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.