No Security Center Tray Icon

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by muf, Dec 25, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. muf

muf Registered Member

Hi,

I'm not sure if I disabled this in some way when I first got this pc just over 12 months ago but I can't get the Security Center Icon to display. I ran Services.msc and it says it is set to "Automatic" and that the service is running. The Windows Firewall is "On" and so is the Virus Protection. But Automatic Updates is "Off". I have done a Google for an hour or so looking for similar situation's and trying anything that is suggested but I still can't get the shield to appear in the system tray. It is possible I changed a value in the registry, but I don't remember to be honest. Does anyone know of a registry value change that 'hides' the icon so that I may reverse it? Or any suggestion's on how to get it back. It's not that i've got the auto updates off is it?

muf

2. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,
    Go to:
    Control Panel > Security Center.
    In the left pane, Change the way Security Center alerts me.
    Untick / tick any boxes you like.
    If you select to get alerted about disabled options, you will get the systray icon. If not, you won't be bothered.
    Mrk

P.S. If this doesn't help, I'll find the keys for ya.

3. muf

muf Registered Member

Thanks for the response. That's something i'd already looked at. See pic. I even unticked them and clicked ok then went back in, ticked them and clicked ok but no go.

muf

Attached Files:

4. muf

muf Registered Member

Here's the Security service settings.

Attached Files:

5. muf

muf Registered Member

And this is the enabled/disabled i have set. Seems strange that in the first image I have it set to alert me about automatic updates yet it is disabled in this this screenshot.

Attached Files:

6. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

In the dependencies tab, are "Remote Procedure Call" (RPC) and "Windows Management Instrumentation" (WMI) services running?
    I have the RPC service on manual here and the security center works properly.

7. muf

muf Registered Member

Thanks Ronjor for the suggestion. Both those services are set to automatic and both are running.

muf

8. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

9. muf

muf Registered Member

Ronjor,

All my settings seem to match that already. I did noticed number 338 though. [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\usb]
    "USBBIOSx"=dword:00000000

I note that I do not even have a the sub selection of USB against HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services

Do you have this in your registry?

muf

10. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

No. My computer is getting dated though. Update coming soon. :D

I don't have an answer for the security center at this point other than to turn it off completely. :D

11. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

I assume you are up to date as far as Windows Updates are concerned, right? In that case, the icon wouldn't warn you or show up in the system tray.

12. lodore

lodore Registered Member

have you got the automatic updates service enabled?
    it is a separate service called automatic updates check it in services.
    you might of disabled it my mistake.
    check that then if not check the event viewer to see why automatic updates isnt working but i think my above solution will work.
    lodore

13. muf

muf Registered Member

lodore,

I tried enabling the auto updates and the icon still would not appear. I checked the event viewer and it states that the Security Center Service was successfully started and is running. But there is still no icon showing in my system tray.

Is there some kind of scan I can do that looks at all my Windows files and if it finds missing or corrupted one's it puts them right?

muf

14. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi, folks: Try these: (1) do you have other security center such as McAffee ? (2) this works for me when some icons missing in system tray area: Go to my computer >manage>services and applications, then expand >double click services>SSDP Discovering Service>properties, on General tab, in the Starup type dropdown list, click Disabled> click apply>OK. Good luck.

15. muf

muf Registered Member

Perman,

Thanks for the suggestion but that service is disabled already as I have the Blackviper settings applied.
    http://majorgeeks.com/page.php?id=12

This is really weird. For all intents and purposes the icon should be there. The service is running, the dependancies are running and when I open the main Security Center window it shows that the Firewall is on. The left side shows an option "change the way Security Center Alerts me". If i disable the service that is greyed out. On mine it isn't greyed out so shows the Security Center is definintely running.

Can someone tell me which exe files are running in system tray when the Security Center Icon is present in the system tray. I know it runs a svchost.exe but I am wondering if there is a particular file that is not being able to run. i.e maybe i renamed the file and need to rename it back? Hey, i'm clutching at straws here but i'm getting to that point where you try even the illogical stuff!

edit: Just ran a sfc /scannow to ensure there were no missing or corrupt files. Rebooted and still no icon.

muf

Last edited: Dec 26, 2006
  16. ThunderZ

ThunderZ Registered Member

Perhaps to simple a solution, and not having read all the linked articles, but..... Have you tried right clicking Start\Properties\Taskbar tab\check mark in Hide inactive icons\click Customize. Check the settings there. Hide when inactive\Always hide\Always show. Just a thought.

17. muf

muf Registered Member

Hi,

Yeah I looked at that yesterday. Current items and past items. There's no sign of Security Center listed in either category. As I said earlier in the thread when i got this pc i disabled the services not essential(Blackviper settings) and used a 3rd party firewall and disabled auto updates. It's only now that i have started using the windows firewall that i have been bothered that the icon is not present.

muf

18. lodore

lodore Registered Member

the automatic updates is a separate service as shown in this screenshot mak sure the automatic updates service is set to automatic. its not the secuirty centre service.
    so make sure the automatic updates service is the same as the screenshot
    ive got the secuirty centre service disabled but the autmatic updates service set to automatic and the updates work but i dont get the annoying secuirty centre popups.
    lodore

Attached Files:

19. muf

muf Registered Member

Interesting that in the Security Center it says Auto updates are "OFF". In the Services.msc it says it is set on Automatic and is running. I selected "turn on Automatic updates" in the Security Center and the Yellow shield has appeared saying updates are available. But I really want the red shield as I want some indication that the Windows Firewall is 'running'. Without the shield it looks like i've no firewall.

muf

Attached Files:

20. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=883792

21. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

the SC makes lots of mistakes, like not knowing a FW is running when there is and other things like that, at least it was like that a year or so ago. i wouldn't bother with it as you always have to check manually anyway :|

22. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,

Check here:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Security Center

Mrk

23. muf

muf Registered Member

Ok thanks all for the advise. I've got it to appear as a 'yellow' shield with auto updates enabled. I have it set to alert me but not install them automatically. Once I install these updates I presume the shield will disappear altogether as the Anti-virus is kept up to date automatically and the firewall will be running. If the firewall or AV ever fail to start I presume a 'red' shield will appear? I'll cross that bridge when i come to it.

Merry Christmas everyone. Thanks for all the help in 2006 and good wishes to you all for 2007.

muf

24. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Good to hear muf. :thumb:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.