no response from recovery CD

Discussion in 'Paragon Partition Manager Product Line' started by christyxx1971, Apr 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. christyxx1971

christyxx1971 Registered Member

Running Paragon Partition Manager 9.5 personal under Windows 7 64bit.

Using the Windows interface, I tried to resize my C partition so that I could create others and all was fine until I was told to reboot. The computer rebooted into a DOS screen which described my main drive as a Vista System drive.Hmmm.. At the bottom of the screen was an instruction to load the "setup disc" and to press f2. I assumed that the "setup disk" was the recovery disk, but when I did as instructed I got a black screen with # on it. Then I could not reboot at all. I had to use Acronis to restore the MBR which got me going again.

This time I used the recovery disc instead of Windows to attempt the operation. The graphic interface loaded, but I got no response at all when I click on either Normal, Safe or Low Graphic Modes. Nothing happens at all.

I ran chkdsk /f on C and no errors were found.

This is so freaking aggravating! Help please.

2. christyxx1971

christyxx1971 Registered Member

Ah! I found the solution. On dottech.org, the product was advertised this way:

To get Paragon Partition Manager 9.5 Personal for free, follow these simple directions:

Supported OS: Windows 2000 Pro/XP Pro/Vista/Win7

But on your website, I find this:

"Partition Manager 9.5 doesn’t support Windows 7. Partition Manager 10 currently provides full Windows 7 support. "

Too bad. Caused me a lot of trouble for nothing.

3. Paragon_MattK

Paragon_MattK Paragon Moderator

christyxx1971,

Sorry to hear your having trouble, this is caused by an incompatibility with the software and Windows 7 x64 bit, any operation that requires a reboot from within Windows can cause this issue with the MBR, which as you discovered can be corrected with any tool that can rebuild the MBR, the windows 7 disk's start-up repair, as well as our recovery CD can do this as well. Any operation performed without a reboot, i.e. from within Windows, or from a recovery CD will not cause these issues.

As far as the recovery CD not booting up, it may be a hardware incompatibility with your system and the Linux environment. Since you do not have access to our WinPE recovery CD, what I would recommend, short of upgrading to version 10, would be to create your own recovery environment based on BartPE, here is a link to a thread discussing the process in detail:

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=257771

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.