no quick disable or exit using it's system tray icon?

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security v3 Beta Forum' started by matthewfarmery, Oct 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. matthewfarmery

matthewfarmery Registered Member

while not bad, I think one thing that is really missing is the ability to quickly disable and exit Nod32 V3, at least in version 2 you can quit the program from the system tray icon, so why isn't there the ability to do the same in V3? yes you can disable spyware and active protection from within nod32 V3 menu, from setup, but it still doesn't allow you to quit the program, and sometimes I do like to close down as many programs as possible for some memory and CPU hungry games, if Nod32 V3 doesn't allow yo to do this quickly, then I for one will revert back to version 2 for the time being, V3 has potential but its still a long way from perfect, and with its full scanning issues with advanced heuristics, with at least one directory on my system, I really don't think its worth using, I know its an RC and still in its testing phase, but when programs do enter the RC stage, they should be a lot more stable then betas, while I love nod32, and I have used a few AVs in the past, and will stick with it, V3 however Im really not sure about, but I guess time will tell

2. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

That's wrong. You could disable the GUI but not the kernel which is responsible for detecting and blocking threats.

Could you be please more specific as to what serious problems you have experienced with RC1?

3. matthewfarmery

thanks for the reply, I thought that nod32 was fully disabled once you closed the program, then I stand corrected, but would be nice if V3 had the same feature,

as for serious issues, mainly scanning with full scanning issues with advanced heuristics enabled, since installing V3 I haven't not been able to do a complete full scan without issues, if its not one directory its another, I have removed my ezg2 directory from scanning, but several other directories also give me issues, in the end V3 hangs and I have to terminate it, something else, while trying to create a custom profile scan, and selecting folders, after completing the operation, and clicking ok button, nod32 freezes, I try again, and its fine, I seem to get that several times, I give it time but nothing happens, I think for the time being, I will revert back to 2.7, at least I had no problems with that, I may give V3 another go once its final, but until then Im sticking with version 2

4. freesurfer

freesurfer Registered Member

I just want to be clear: since this is an on-demand scan, when you stopped or paused the scan, ekrn maintained its high CPU usage? If so, how long was the longest time you waited until you force terminate ekrn (I'm guessing it didn't really hang. Just guessing)?

It is good that you mentioned Advanced heuristics as it seems that a lot of people aren't aware of how it can consume alot of CPU time. Advanced heuristics do consume alot of CPU time, especially when scanning files or folders with alot of executables (unless ofcourse an ESET staff would claim otherwise, then we have a problem with AH). For on-demand scan, chances are that ekrn did not hang if it seemed that the progress bar is stuck. Try disabling Advanced heuristics and run the scan again (you could also try disabling Runtime packers if it didn't work). As for the real-time protection, basically do the same thing and disable it in the ThreaSense parameter setup under Real-time file system protection.

Regards

5. matthewfarmery

well when I first detect the freezing it was with EzGenerator2 a html generator, a really good program, it kept freezing when scanning its directories, I left it a long time, couple of hours, (not even nod 32 V 2.7 takes that long to do a system scan) in the end I had to terminate the program, also, its not just that directory, but a few others, if I don't have advanced heur enabled, the scan (full takes 30 / 40 minutes tops, however one thing mind, when I try and stop the scanning process with advance heuristics enabled, the scanning log does then update with all the files it has scanned, but the log pauses and doesn't update when the program is scanning ezg2 directory, I never had this problem with V 2, and I have now reverted back to that version, until V3 is final, if the same issues exist, then I won't be upgrading to it, and I have a feeling I won't be alone in this

6. Degine

Degine Registered Member

Well I don't have you're specific program, but I've never had any trouble scanning. With all options enabled it scanning my entire PC (66GB of wich about 19GB compressed) it never takes longer then half an hour. Then I do keep my files defragmented.

PS::eek: those are very long sentences; it might be just me, but I had a hard time reading it, even with the commas.

7. matthewfarmery

long sentences is something I seem to do often, I really don't bother with short ones, however I really hope that the issue with advanced heuristics eating so much ram and CPU resources is fixed. If it is I will give it another go, but until that time Im sticking with nod32 V2, but thanks for your replies,

8. Marcos

Advanced heuristics is the same in ver. 2 and 3. If there have been issues with the scan freezing, they have never been related to AH but the runtime packer scanning. Maybe you could scan only that particular folder with the scanner set to list all files in order to narrow it down to the particular file that causes your issue

9. marmk

marmk Registered Member

i have same question as reporter, I can not find any possibility to exit ESS, I have searched all menu and help and did not found it.

I really need this and killing via taskmanager is not too nice solution...

10. Marcos

Standard mode -> Setup -> Temporarily disable Antivirus and antispyware protection & Temporarily disable Personal firewall

11. MasterTB

MasterTB Registered Member

Is it psible to enable an optiont to do that via the Taskbar Icon?? and also, an option to quit the gui and just leave the service running?, meaning run the service only if you are not constantly looking at the gui??

12. matthewfarmery

I have NEVER had a issue with 2.7, and it is AH that is causing the issue, as without it the scanner is fine, ok I will install V3 again, and try different settings, but its very possible it could be the high CPU usage that is also could be the problem, however when scanning my ezg2 dir there aren't any log entries, unless I quit the scan, but then the program freezes and I have to terminated the program manually, once the scan has been stopped, a lot of entries appear in the log, but I have tried leaving the program scanning that dir for ages and no progress,

the only thing I can think of is that someone else tries the program, creates a website project or two, (I have about 4) and then see if V3 freezes, while the program isn't free, there is a 30 trial version that has features of the full version, http://www.ezgenerator.com/documents/downloadtrial.html

because if this issue continues to the final version, then I won't be upgrading to it, however I will give V3 another go, and try with different scanning settings, but what I do know is, without AH V3 scans my entire system without issues, so there must be a really big issue with AH,

13. matthewfarmery

well I reinstalled V3, I scanned ezg2 directory by itself and simply left it, the directory and sub dirs was completed in 55 minutes, in V2.7 it took 32 minutes

when I proceeded to do a full scan of my system, I left it for some time, however I made a big mistake, and one reason why the scans keep freezing, I clicked on show scan with log in different window, as soon I did, that the whole program completed froze on me, however the scan before I did that, was past the ezg2 dir, and something else, the scanning log didn't update for a long time, I forgot I had a very large rar file which I created as a backup, its 50meg in size, while v2 had no issues with providing the files that are being scanned, within the rar, V3 doesn't seem to do any updates until well after any large archive has been scanned, maybe AH 100% CPU usage is also to be blamed for that?

Edit

I finally allowed nod32 V3 to do a complete system scan with AH enabled, as long as I didn't enable viewing the log in a different / new window, scanning was ok, however, the scan took 4 hours!!!!!!! compared to 1 hour and 3o minutes with nod32 V2.7, I think the biggest issue is when its scanning very large zip files, at least several games that I have installed uses zips and processes them like dat files, Blitzkrieg is one example, there are some zip files that are 1.7gig in size, while V2 handled scanning the files quickly, V3 was damn slow, maybe its high CPU usage is also to blame? as this really needs fixing ASAP,

Last edited: Oct 9, 2007
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.