No News Is Good News For Prevx2 ?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Perman, Dec 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. simmikie

simmikie Registered Member

i have reached the same conclusion. it has to be a conflict with other security progs. you sir, have been practicing, nice catch! :p

Mike

2. EraserHW

EraserHW Malware Expert

Ok, it appears you don't get to the point. I asked you for Virustotal results because I would be sure it was an undetected malware by Prevx and not a Prevx local scanning issue. I don't know how to explain this in a simpler way.

You're basically saying that Prevx2 is not impregnable BUT it failed with simple malware that other antivirus engines detected and that is unbelievable.

Please, make sure about your thoughts. If Prevx detects something then it's ok and it's not ever worth to be said, because it's doing its job. If Prevx doesn't detect a malware, it is not impregnable BUT it's an outrage.

In fact there are tons of malware detected by Prevx and its behavior analysis module that aren't detected by other companies.

At the end, thanks anyway for your long report, it'll be useful for us.

Merry Christmas,

Marco

3. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi,

Christmas is here(12 hours away), and the good news is at where ?

Cheers ?

4. EraserHW

EraserHW Malware Expert

There's a 20% discount offer on the blog. Not a revolutionary promotion, sure, but it allows people to save money :)

And, just to make it clear one more time, we're working hard to develop new features and technologies and make them simpler and more useful :)

Merry christmas to you too :)

5. simmikie

simmikie Registered Member

EraserHW
    i got the point, i am telling you what i did to confirm the files where viril. Jotti performs the same function as Virustotal, sans the Prevx engine, and perhaps others. that is all I needed to know.

well suspend your disbelief, because it happened. that miss and others i have experienced with this app is precisely what enables me to state that Prevx2 is not impregnable. m·preg·na·ble 1 (m-prgn-bl)
    adj.
    1. Impossible to capture or enter by force: an impregnable fortress.
    2. Difficult or impossible to attack, challenge, or refute with success:

my thoughts are crystal clear, Prevx2 is not impregnable, which is why it and all other software miss stuff. some more than others. was i surprised Prevx2 missed what it did? yes. outraged? no. i'll leave that emotional spike to you and yours.

i have little reason to disbelive that. as i have stated a couple of times in this dialouge, i only engaged to share with you how Prevx2 has not performed over the last few weeks as a mature app on my system, and based on my experiences with it has a ways to go before crossing the finished line, in my view.

did not start out to be lengthy, nor a report.i do hope whatever perceptions, observations, statements i have posted here, are useful in a positive way for your organization. i look forward to the further development of Prevx2 (3?).

Merry Christmas to you and the rest of the Prevx organization.

Mike

6. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

im very happy with prevx 2.0 and my setup, but just for curiosity sake, does anyone know the detection rates of prevx 2.0 as a stand-a-lone product?:shifty:

7. solcroft

solcroft Registered Member

simmikie, have you sent that particular sample to Prevx yet?

Because when a vendor expresses "disbelief" and "outrage" that their solution doesn't detect a particular sample without having even seen the sample in question yet, it speaks of blind, vastly-misplaced arrogance, and doesn't really do much to inspire user confidence in that vendor.

8. EraserHW

EraserHW Malware Expert

Never expressed "disbelief" and "outrage" :) I was simply quoting what he said in different words and, to reply, no, he never sent us those samples.

Merry Christmas to you too :)

9. AJohn

AJohn Registered Member

Hello EraserHW. I was turned away from Prevx when my friend got infected with a virus and downloaded/installed Prevx. Prevx found the infection and then gave my friend constant pop-up warnings of the infections. Prevx kept trying to get my friend to make a purchase.

First of all someone with a virus installed on their machine should not be entering their credit card information into their computer until it is clean.

Second of all it would be more likely of him to make a purchase after Prevx did a free cleaning of his computer.

Just thought I would post my thoughts on this. Please feel free to share yours.

10. Longboard

Longboard Registered Member

Hey Solcroft, just an observation: I admire your posts but that may be bit excessive.
    MG was instrumental in freeing the web from Gromozon nasties.
    he has some serious cred imo
    He is employed with Px but seems to keep it real
    Amazing grasp of English idiomatic idiosyncrasies.

@AJohn
    LOL a widely disregarded Catch 22: the big one.

Your friend may have misunderstood the nature of the trial of PrevX ?

Still, @Eraser: that is an interesting observation re an online purchase with active malware detected. :blink:

Although I have had some issues with Px: has worked out Ok for me and I do admire the Paradigm. Some of the marketing speak has left me a little, hmm, cool.

11. Malcontent

Malcontent Registered Member

How do you go about this? I couldn't find any information on their website about how to submit undetected malware.

12. solcroft

solcroft Registered Member

I went back to re-read his sentences, and it looks like the way he worded them could be interpreted in two ways: his way and mine. So I apologize.

The next logical thing to do would be to contact Prevx support and ask, or, since EraserHW asked for the file, PM him.

13. EraserHW

EraserHW Malware Expert

I apologize too. Sorry, english is not my mother language :) If you have some questions or doubts about what I write or the meaning, feel free to ask me so I can explain myself a bit better :)

14. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

its very good, and easy although the link isnt easy to get, this link should be on the website main page, if they are serious about improving, every little helps.

http://www.prevx.com/sendthisfile.asp

15. lucas1985

lucas1985 Retired Moderator

virus [at] prevxresearch (dot) com :)

16. Biscuit

Biscuit Registered Member

Much like simmikie, I have also had serious problems trying to run Prevx2 for both myself & my end-users. After giving Prevx2 three chances, I eventually gave up on the software. Now, after finding that my replacement product AVGAS, will soon be no longer available, I am back looking at to Prevx2 again. I've not yet installed the product as I want at least 2 disk backups in place beforehand. As a reseller, I must say that previous to now, I've not found Prevx2 to run well on any computer.

17. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

it runs really great on my machine, and is still doing....

i will recommend to all who will hear :)

even though i dont need prevx, i just really like the software to not use it.

:thumb:

you are a reseller for prevx?

how can you sell a product you wouldnt use yourself?

all about the benjamins? lol

18. Biscuit

I don't currently recommend or sell Prevx - I'd like to, but I can't until it's stable.

Benjamins? What does that mean?

19. gerardwil

gerardwil Registered Member

Prevx 2.0 v1.0.2 Build 123 (New Installations Only)

Why is this version still hold up by QA?

Gerard

20. ghiser1

ghiser1 Developer

What do you mean?
    QA aren't holding up anything.

The only differnces between build 112 (latest available for updates) and build 123 are minor dialog and licensing tweaks that only effect new installations; the removal of the trial screens/dialogs for example.

As an existing user, build 112 is the latest you need.

Darren

21. gerardwil

gerardwil Registered Member

Thanks for explanation Darren.
    I understood from the past the difference between latest update and new install versions was a final check by QA.
    Sorry I misunderstood.
    Regards,

Gerard

22. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi,

Prevx2 has reached its maturity, IMO, and it has stalled at that build for a non-reasonable length of time, despite of its so-called frequent updates of data base.

For the new year, I have temporarily suspended it from my active machine,

because nothing can motivate me to continue it , perhaps new build or new version will change my thinking.

At least for now, no news is actually a not so good news at all.

Take care.

23. ako

ako Registered Member

My comment from Castlecops on lack of Prevx development (of script protection):

Prevx is fighting to find its ecological pocket (= business which gives at least some profit). They have realized that few corporates/individuals are willing to abandon their tradional AV in favour of prevx, or have both running simultaneously.

For this reason focus has switched from optimizing prevention (prevx2) to detection and cleaning (prevx CSI and prevx eSAC). As a result malicious scripts are not very high on the priority list.

In this model Prevx2 user are of course still needed as a network of honetpots.

24. Biscuit

I don't really agree. Businesses are more than happy to run 2 security apps - if that would increase security. The issue is with business that the product must be 100% solid for 100% of the time.

25. ako

ako Registered Member

I personally haven't seen any organization doing that (on desktop level). Here in Finland we use F-secure, so this is understandable, of course :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.