No Network Interface for my new 3G mobile broadband USB adaptor

Discussion in 'LnS English Forum' started by wazzac, Jan 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wazzac

wazzac Registered Member

Hi There

I'm wondering if someone can help

I just sent my wife off interstate for a few months with a notebook that we usually use on the home network.

I purchased and installed a 3G mobile broadband usb adaptor thingo which works fine.

Unfortunately this does not seem to appear in the network interface selection

I connected with the dongle, then one at a time selected and applied the WAN miniport options and looked on the welcome tab... but the IP address always showed as 0.0.0.0 ......

How can I make LNS work with this typoe of internet connection? I'm afraid that at the moment the notebook is not secure.

Any Help appreciated

notebook running Windows 7 (x64) with LNS 2.07 64 bit

cheers

Warwick

2. Frederic

Frederic LnS Developer

Hi,

What is the list of detected adapters in the option tab ?
    Maybe you have to choose another one than the "Wan Miniport" one.

If you installed the software/drivers for the 3G mobile after Look 'n' Stop, you may try to uninstall Look 'n' Stop, reboot, and reinstall it. Sometimes, when an adapter is installed after Look 'n' Stop, they are not taken into account.
    Do that only after you tried all other adapters in the option list, and only if the mobile software was installed after Look 'n' Stop.

Regards,

Frederic

3. wazzac

wazzac Registered Member

Hi Frederic, thanks for the reply

I am currently visiting my wife and have had a chance to investigate further.

I have tried all listed adaptor one at a time, applied the change and checked the connection tab of lns ... no joy with any of them.

I have since uninstalled look n stop, rebooted, connected to the internet using the mobile adaptor, then re-installed and re-booted ... still no recognition of the adaptor.

I have found the properties of the adaptor I'm using ... it is a "Sierra Wireless HSPA network adaptor" the corresponding physical address (MAC address?) does not match up to any listed in look and stop (which is no surprise I guess)

Have you got any other ideas? I'm a little dissapointed at this point I must say.

Cheers

Warwick

4. Frederic

Frederic LnS Developer

Hi Warwick,

Another user reported the same issue, with the same HSPA/HSDPA adapter.
    Usually 3G adapters are using the standard WAN interface, but this one is using its own specific adapter, and this adapter is using a new interface type ("ppip") not supported by Look 'n' Stop driver installation file (only "ethernet, tokenring, fddi, wan" list is supported, so far).

We did investigate the issue with the other user, but unfortunately no solution was found.
    The problem was still an installation issue, to be able to add "ppip" to the list of supported interfaces (Windows still continue to use an old .inf file, and doesn't take into account a new .inf file where we added "ppip").

If you have a chance to install the sierra adapter on a fresh system with Look 'n' Stop never installed on it, it would help. In that case, don't install Look 'n' Stop, I will sent you a special package to be installed first.

Regards,

Frederic

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.