No more updates

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by Suggers, Jun 29, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Suggers

Suggers Guest

I have heard that on 11th july, microsoft is ending support for several Operating systems, including mine Windows 98 (SE).

This means they wont be releasing any more security updates. But, does it also mean that they will be removing all of the existing updates from their download page?

Im asking this because in the past month I've had to reinstall windows twice (for 2 separate problems) and needed to reinstall all the updates.

Will all the existing updates from the last few years still be available on the microsoft site after 11th july?
    Thanks

2. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

I can't answer your question, but I'd strongly advise once you get it running the way you want, you get a good image, so you don't have to rely on the microsoft site.

Pete

3. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

4. Suggers

Suggers Guest

Thanks for the replies, I'll use the unofficial service pack if I need to, although it doesnt let you choose which updates you install it just installs all; two of them I dont currently have installed - KB812912 causes problems with my activeX in IE (a known issue in win 98 SE users) and KB891711 affects my antivirus.
    If nothing works I could always upgrade to XP, I'd probably be better off. :)

5. NICK ADSL UK

NICK ADSL UK Administrator

Hi Suggers :)
    This is the latest that i have to hand with regards your query
    Windows 98, Windows 98 Second Edition, and Windows Millennium Edition Support ends on July 11, 2006

Final customer notification about the end of Windows 98, Windows 98 Second Edition, and Windows Millennium Edition Extended Support

Support for Windows 98, Windows 98 Second Edition, and Windows Millennium Edition (Me) ends on July 11, 2006. Microsoft will end public and technical support by this date. This also includes security updates. Microsoft is providing final notifications to customers to end the extended security update support for these products.

Microsoft is ending support for these products because they are outdated and these older operating systems can expose customers to security risks. We recommend that customers who are still running Windows 98 or Windows Me upgrade to a newer, more secure Microsoft operating system, such as Windows XP, as soon as possible.

Key dates:
    Paid incident support and critical security updates for Windows 98, Windows 98 Second Edition, and Windows Me will end on July 11, 2006. No other security updates will follow after this date.
    Online self-help support will be available at the Microsoft Support Web site until at least July 11, 2007.
    The Windows 98 and Windows 98 Second Edition Extended Support end date was moved from January 16, 2004 to July 11, 2006.
    In January 2006, Microsoft announced an adjustment to the Microsoft Support Lifecycle expiration dates, moving the Extended Support end date for Windows 98, Windows 98 Second Edition, and Windows Me to July 11, 2006. Details about the announcement can be found at http://support.microsoft.com/gp/lifean17/.
    No-charge incident support and extended hotfix support for Windows Me ended on December 31, 2003, and for Windows 98 and Windows 98 Second Edition ended on June 30, 2003.

Microsoft announced Product Support Lifecycle Policy as early as October 15, 2002.

http://support.microsoft.com/gp/lifean18

Regards

6. Suggers

Suggers Guest

Thanks for that! :)

7. NICK ADSL UK

NICK ADSL UK Administrator

Your welcome :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.