NO MBR

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Long View, Nov 10, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Long View

Long View Registered Member

Have just taken delivery of a Samsung Laptop. Using Disk Director 10 and ATI 9.1 I can see that there is a c: partition ( primary and active) with operating system and programs. There is also a hidden NTFS partition of about 3.5 gig with about 2.5gig of data. I can not, however, see any MBR.

I would like to take an image of c: and then delete this hidden partition - I just don't like hidden things I don't understand on my pc. Then to restore c: and make a couple of other partitions.

should I be concerned that I can not see any MBR ?

2. foghorne

foghorne Registered Member

If you are able to boot, the MBR must be there in some form.

If you are going to experiment I would start by making a backup of your entire drive so you can rollback to where you are now if it all goes pairshaped.

F.

3. Long View

Thanks - that's what I intend to do. Restore disks have been included with the lap top and they do include their own recovery program ( Firstware Recovery Pro) but I would prefer to stick with Acronis.

4. Long View

Just in case this helps someone else -

I used Acronis 9.1 to make an image of C: and the hidden partition.
    when I looked at the image I found that ATI had also "copied" the MBR.

I used Disk Director to delete the hidden partition and as I suspected the machine would no longer boot. Restoring the hidden partition and all was fine again.

I have now formatted the whole drive and an installing a clean version of windows Xp. Should I ever need to go back to the original however I mow have the images to allow me to do so.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.