No Internet access after installation of Smart Security 4

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by Cutter_Jones, Mar 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cutter_Jones

Cutter_Jones Registered Member

Just want to document the issue I had (seemingly resolved now) in case it may help others...

I purchased the ESET Smart Security 4, and immediately after installation of the product I lost the ability to access the Internet. All Web applications failed access the Internet. I toggled all parts of the security suite to OFF, but still no access. I uninstalled ESET Smart Security 4 and restarted my computer and modem. After doing that I once again had working Internet applications, but with no firewall or virus scan, obviously. I reinstalled ESET Smart Security 4 and then I had access to the Internet for 30 min to an hour before again losing the ability to work online. It was very annoying. I thought I had purchased one of the best security suites, but this Internet issue made me think otherwise. I did read that the ESET software was more complex than typical security suites, but this problem of losing all access to the Internet was beyond what I expected. I know little to nothing about networking, and know nothing about the deep fine-tuning capability of the ESET product. But after reading through the manual about the firewall, I thought having the firewall set to Automatic or Learning mode would suit my purposes. But no settings that I could figure out seemed to help. I was left dumbfounded at this persistent problem.

When I did have access to the Internet (upon a restart of my modem and computer) I looked on the ESET support site and followed the instructions to do the following (KB Solutions ID: SOLN969) "I cannot connect to the Internet after installing ESET Smart Security":
    1. Open the main program window by clicking the ESET icon next to the system clock or by clicking Start → All Programs → ESET→ ESET Smart Security.

2. Press the F5 key to display the Advanced Setup window.

3. From the Advanced Setup tree on the left, click Personal firewall → IDS and advanced options.

4. In the Intrusion detection section, deselect the following options:

- ARP Poisoning attack detection
    - DNS Poisoning attack detection
    - TCP Desynchronization attack detection
    - Reverse TCP Desynchronization attack detection

...but the problem continued. Just 10 minutes later I lost all access to the Internet. I shut down my computer and modem. After a restart I had Internet access again. I found the instructions listed in KB Solutions ID: SOLN939 "Why is my program not connecting to the Internet? (3.0)." But just 30 min later I had no access to the Internet.

Finally after yet another restart of my computer and modem I found these forums and this thread:
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=237476
    It lead me to the KB Solution ID: SOLN2207 "How do I fix Internet performance issues after installing version 4.0 of my ESET Smart Security?"

I followed the instructions and I am pleased to say that my Internet access has been stable for the past two hours. Hopefully it will continue.
    I had the 1044 Personal firewall module. After following the instructions of KB Solution ID: SOLN2207, I have Personal firewall module 1045.

Again, I just wanted to document my experience here in case it helps someone else.

A little about my specs: I have Windows XP 32-bit, RCA DCM425 modem, cable Internet.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2009
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.