No image acquistion since installing Smart Security

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by mixter, Dec 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mixter

mixter Registered Member

I attempted to get the images from my Canon SX100is loaded onto my W7 64 bit system yesterday numerous times with absolutely no success. I did disable SS since research cited other AV/AS programs as the cause but even that did not work on two attempts. KIS was the one cited
    I was successful on my W7 64 bit htpc system which uses MSE...but that's not where I want my images.

So am I the first or is this a known issue?
    Suggestions to solve would be greatly appreciated

Key words...WIA drivers
    I suspect SS has disabled WIA

***Addendum....I went and checked my auto play settings on the system and discovered that the camera's was set to question what the user wants done. I reset it to automatically dl them using live photo gallery as well as a couple other settings which appear to have been altered to more conservative settings. Those changes did not affect the problem...still no joy

***Addendum 2...tried different usb cables and ports...no joy
    Tried installing the Canon Zoom Browser software but still no joy

The one system is not seeing the camera at all while the system which does NOT have SmSec installed sees it without any problem.
    I also tried adjusting(deselecting) the removable media selections in SS Settings

Last edited: Dec 13, 2010
  2. mixter

mixter Registered Member

Seriously...nothing?

So I guess that means I'm going to have clean install and go with NIS which gave me no problems like this
    That is sad...I'm a longtime advocate for ESET's products and among the first here is the US

3. MattJN

MattJN Former ESET Support Rep

If you have Eset Smart Security installed, and you are unable to access a particular resource, the first thing you should do is open the GUI, then press F5 to enter advanced setup. Once there, locate the Personal Firewall section in the context window on the left, then click to highlight it. Change the firewall filtering mode to "Interactive mode", then click to highlight "IDS and advanced options". In the main window, scroll the list all the way down and locate the checkbox labeled, "Log all blocked connections", then check the box and click OK.

Once you've changed those settings, plug the the camera back in and attempt to import as you normally would. You should be prompted to allow the connection. Any prompts you receive click the check box to remember the action (create rule), then click Allow. This should allow you to create rules that allow the camera to be loaded and the pictures to be imported. Try this process a few times, and when you no longer receive prompts on actions, go back into the advanced settings and change the Personal Firewall mode back to automatic mode.

4. mixter

mixter Registered Member

Followed your directions to the letter but system still does not see the camera despite reboot after changing the ESET settings and attempts to refresh while trying to import the images.

Please advise

5. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Does disabling the ESET personal firewall actually make a difference?

6. mixter

mixter Registered Member

Tried that but sadly, no

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.