No Icon in the Tray Bar

Discussion in 'FirstDefense-ISR Forum' started by Antarctica, Sep 30, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Antarctica

Antarctica Registered Member

I don't know what happend, my Icon is not showing anymore...It was syill there yesterday.

And if I go under Options, "Always show" is thicked.

Any idea?

2. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

My first question to Antarctica wasn't complete :
    It was : "Did you recently installed new softwares ?"
    It should : "Did you recently installed new softwares or do you have any beta softwares on your computer ?" :D :D :D

Last edited: Oct 1, 2006
  3. Antarctica

Yes, I installed PREVX1 to test it, but I did installed it in my "Test snapshot".

What is strange is that if I try to reboot in my secundary snapshot, it boot normally but the Icon is also missing.

Something seems to have been messed up.:doubt:

4. ErikAlbert

It can't be Prevx1, because I have it installed in one of my snapshots without any problems. Weird. I'm thinking ...

Last edited: Sep 30, 2006
  5. ErikAlbert

FDISR also appears in startmenu, if you click Start / All programs.
    From there you can copy/paste the "FirstDefense-ISR Management" as a shortcut on your desktop.
    That doesn't fix the system try icon, but maybe when you hit the shortcut it restores the system icon, not sure about that.
    Nevertheless the shortcut does the same as the system icon.
    This won't do any damage since I had both on my desktop in the past.

Otherwise you have to uninstall FDISR without removing the snapshots (FDISR will ask this during the uninstall procedure) and install it back.

6. Antarctica

Thanks Erik for your help.

I tried it and it doesn't work, so I guess I will have to uninstall and reinstall the software...I wonder what Happend.o_O

7. ErikAlbert

No clue man. Uninstalling and re-installing without removing the snapshots should work, but you have to check all your settings after reinstalling, if you changed the default value.

8. Antarctica

Uninstall and reinstall the Software did the trick, but I'm still in the dark about what happend.:(

9. ErikAlbert

Once my icon did also disappear after installing O&O CleanCache (?), I don't remember the software name very well, but it happened right after its installation.
    But I simply restored my backup file of the previous day to solve the problem.
    I usually don't spend much time on searching the real reason.

Maybe some other members know more, I'm glad you are back in business, that's what count in the end. :)

10. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Computer Gremlins at work.:D

11. Antarctica

I think the Gremlins was KIS. Had all kind of strange problems with the updater
    yesterday and the day before.o_O

12. Peter2150

Yeah, that Gremlin ate my lunch all day yesterday. Aint beta testing fun.

FDISR, and image image image. That Gremlin ate FDISR and it would have eaten Rollback likewise.

13. Antarctica

Yeah, I saw your post on Kasperski's Forum.;)

14. Coff

Coff Registered Member

The systray icon that went missing points to ISRMonitor exe which should, I think, be located in C:\$ISR\$App (you need to show hidden files and folders and hidden system files to see it). Recently, after doing an offline defrag with PerfectDisk 8, my ISRMonitor.exe systray icon didn't appear (along with a few others). The registry run entry was correct (HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Current Version\Run) and it was pointing tothe ISRMonitor.exe in the $App folder, trouble is there was no ISRMonitor.exe in the $App folder. I found it in the $App\Setup folder and copied and pasted it into the correct folder to make the run registry entry valid. (Everything has worked fine from that point even though I've now got two ISRMonitor.exe files in the above two locations.)

It looks as though something similar has happened to you, (not by using PerfectDisk 8 but some other cause). Logically, for the systray icon not to appear on start up either the run registry entry was altered or the file that it was pointing to went awol.

Now that you've reinstalled, you will have corrected the above issue if by chance it was similar to mine.

PS. You mentioned that the problem affected your secondary snapshot as well. This was the same in my case.

15. Antarctica

Hi Coff,
    Thanks for sharing your experience with this disappearing Icon problem.As I said before, I'm almost sure the culprit is KIS. It also messed up my BoClean Icon.

16. angus49

angus49 Registered Member

Coff,
    Great input about checking the registry run key. ISRMonitor.exe value was not there anymore for whatever reason. I copied the file from setup folder to the $APP folder in Windows Explorer, then added a new string value named ISRMonitor.exe, then set the value to "C:\$ISR\$APP\ISRMonitor.exe". After a restart all is okay again.
    Thanks!

17. Peter2150

I also want to thank Coff. It fixed what the KAV fiasco did to FDISR

Pete

18. Coff

Coff Registered Member

Thanks, I'm glad my post was of some use.

19. Baedric

Baedric Registered Member

Well I have tried everything to restore my task bar icon. I copied the $ISRMonitor.exe back into the $APP folder and created a new string value named ISRMonitor.exe and set the value to "C:\$ISR\$APP\ISRMonitor.exe" just like was explained above. When I re-boot all is well. Then when I re-boot a second time both the registry entry and the Icon are gone. I have re-install FD-ISR-Same thing no dice. Upon the second re-boot everything is gone.
    It is not like it is really that big of a deal, but it is the principle of the thing that is driving me crazy. :D I like someone above have KAV and underwent some problems several days ago. I actually have KIS rather that KAV but you get the point. I un-installed KIS, ran their clean-up utility from safe mode, re-installed KIS, uninstalled FD-ISR, rebooted and reloaded FD-ISR... No Icon initially. I then followed the above instructions and initially I had success... until I re-booted a second time. :ouch: I guess that I will have to live with it like this.

20. Longboard

Longboard Registered Member

21. Antarctica

22. Peter2150

Yes, but you still could use v5.0 as long as you didn't install Istream. Also it didn't just affect the systray icon, it trashed FDISR

23. Baedric

Baedric Registered Member

Well I copied the $ISRMonitor.exe into the startup folder and re-booted. I then received a message that it was already loading at startup. I removed the $ISRMonitor.exe from the startup folder and all appears well now. Every re-boot and the icon is in the task bar. Go figure...

24. ErikAlbert

It means that adding and removing $ISRMonitor.exe in the startup folder fixed the icon problem. A bit unusual, but acupuncture is also an unusual curing method, that seems to work. :)

25. Longboard

Longboard Registered Member

No, sorry, acupuncture has not worked on my box!
    Now a big hammer liberally applied to box and own head has occassionally worked wonders. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.