no i will not disable my anti-malware...

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by ronjor, Jul 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Kurt Wismer

2. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

I know some are going to jump all over this non-issue with Google hating , but one single software conflict out of that article was with a security app. Google not only did not tell anyone to completely disable it, they suggested an upgrade to a newer version. The author also doesn't seem to understand AV software that much if he thinks disabling the web scanner, which is exactly what he was referring to, even if he doesn't know it, will render the AV incapable of stopping internet threats.

3. CloneRanger

CloneRanger Registered Member

Well in one way it's correct :D Disabling an AV web scanner definately speeds up surfing, in my experience anyway, on different comps with different AV's.

See post 18 here for one explanation https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=268087

4. chronomatic

chronomatic Registered Member

Completely pointless blog post by this guy. So he is angry for what? That Google told him to update his crappy AV software?

AV software, by its very nature, can introduce instabilities and incompatibilities to the system due to the way it utilizes low-level system calls. This is why the AV vendors are so angry at M$ over PatchGuard -- it keeps them out of the kernel. Just because some software is supposed to "protect" the system, doesn't mean it is perfect or even coded with any sort of competence.

5. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

6. culla

culla Registered Member

there is a glitch in all software ever written none are perfect cause of the .333333333........... factor :D

7. kwismer

kwismer Registered Member

wow, apparently some folks can't ready my (relatively short) post.

google gave 2 options, upgrade or disable. since disabling is the quickest/easiest, it's the one most people will do.

telling people to disable even just part of their security in order to install or use application X is bad form - it trains people to accept the "lower your guard" instruction, which in turn makes them more vulnerable to certain kinds of social engineering. this particular example may not have been quite as over-the-top as the facebook application that instructs people to disable norton anti-virus due to 'conflicts' but the principal is the same. resolving software conflicts by telling people to disable their security in full or in part trains people to be victims.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.