No home network using ESS beta 1b

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security v3 Beta Forum' started by Access Denied, Jun 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Access Denied

Access Denied Registered Member

I have enabled the log as Marcos suggested and found that it is blocking Netbios UDP packets. I have tried adding the pc's IP, the network IP range, the subnet of the network, even adding the broadcast IP of the network.

Still, no home network with ESS enabled. Disable the firewall module and VOILA! Network works just fine. Is there a way to setup a rule that will work with my network or am I just stuck disabling the firewall when I need access until beta 2 arrives? o_O

I understand there are issues with beta software and this falls under that category, so Im not ranting about it, just need a little info from Eset please. :thumb:

2. X3ro

X3ro Registered Member

It sounds like You didn't add your network to the Trusted Zone of the ESS firewall module. Did you have pop-up window at the first start of beta1b saying "...Detected network.....Add this network to the Trusted Zone...." ?

3. Access Denied

Thanks, but yes I sure did. Always answer yes to those when installing a new firewall after I confirm it is my network.

4. X3ro

X3ro Registered Member

there are also some advanced firewall options in ESS, like "IDS and advanced options". Check them, may be you uncheck something for the "Allowed services" ?

5. Access Denied

Thanks again, but I have already checked there. I did a real thru and thru of all the settings before I posted. There is something inside the firewall settings that supposed to make this work, that is not working. I believe it is the "Allow File and Printer Sharing in the Trusted Zone" box I have checked, but it does not work. Assuming this is a "beta bug". Maybe something more is wrong also, as in, I am on the "Interactive" setting, which should prompt me when I try to connect over the network, ;) but it does not.

This is a clean install of the beta 1b. No prior ESS was installed ever.

6. rapierau

rapierau Registered Member

Turn on uPnP in trusted networks and see if that solves the problems. Its located in your firewall advanced configuration. It will also stop uPnP warnings in your firewall log file.

I assume that this will only affect your trusted network and will not allow this for your outside connection.

It worked for me. Oh note - you will need to restart your machine.

7. Access Denied

UpnP is enabled all the way around. It would not make a bit of difference in email anyway. Its used for port settings between your router and programs.

8. Access Denied

I have reinstalled ESS 1b and now I can access the network just fine. Thats weird, but great! :D

9. The One

The One Frequent Poster

I did all of that and still have the same problem

10. Tsunami333

Tsunami333 Registered Member

I had the same problem and found that interactive mode will not allow me to access shared folders on the network. Switched to automatic mode and presto, your network will be accessible. :thumb:

11. The One

The One Frequent Poster

I did all above but still it is not working. Any other ideas?

12. Tsunami333

13. Tsunami333

OH SH*T!!! JUST REALIZED YOUR RUNNING VISTA, SO GOOD LUCK,DON'T LISTEN TO ANYTHING I SAY. I'M GONNA STAY WITH XP UNTIL AT LEAST SP1 ON VISTA.
    SORRY NOT MUCH EXPERIENCE WITH VISTA YET, SEEMS TO BE SH*T SO FAR ( NOT HIGHLY CONFIGURABLE ) GOOD LUCK WITH VISTA, YOUR BASICALLY A BETA TETSER. lol o_O
    HOPE YOU FIGURE IT OUT!!
    Cheers,
    Joshua

14. The One

The One Frequent Poster

Disabling filtering really did helped. But isn't my firewall "dead" now? Does my firewall work?

15. The One

The One Frequent Poster

I'm not on Vista...o_O

16. The One

The One Frequent Poster

Anyone?
    I need a good firewall in ESS. But I can't get it to work properly

17. The One

The One Frequent Poster

Everybody asleep?
    It must be possible to use ESS with firewall in a network. Doesn't it?

18. Access Denied

When you reinstalled did you delete the Eset folders from both program files and application data? If so, when it asked upon install, did you add the network to the trusted area? Thats the only two things I can think of, whether they are posted above or not, Im not sure. Hopefully someone else can chime in with another idea as well. ;)

19. The One

The One Frequent Poster

This is all the case indeed. I needed to delete the folder otherwise my update wouldn't work and ESS asked me to trust a new network, and I did

20. The One

The One Frequent Poster

Are there any more options? I still can't reach it normally

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.