No hard drive seen. No network found.

Discussion in 'Paragon Drive Backup Product Line' started by mform, Nov 12, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mform

mform Registered Member

The standard recovery disk of Disk Backup 9 Pro does not see my hard drive. I have an ASUS P5QL motherboard with an Intel ICH10 chipset and one SATA drive. Evidently some driver is missing. Has anyone seen and solved this problem?

I then tried the WinPE recovery disk. This saw my local drive but did not see my network drives (D-Link DNS-323 NAS). It complained of "No Network or Network Not Started". Again, anyone have a solution?

I store my backups to the NAS so in the case of a disk crash I currently have no way of restoring my system which is why I purchased the product. How do I get the WinPE disk to see the network, or even better, how can I get the standard recovery disk (which starts much faster) to see the local disk and the network? I did a search on these problems and did not come up with any answers.

Thanks.

Mike

2. SirEbrum

SirEbrum Registered Member

Did you try booting the CD into "Safe Mode"? I've seen several mentioning that their SATA drives aren't seen and that booting into Safe Mode on the CD fixes it.

Good luck.

3. Paragon_Tommy

Paragon_Tommy Paragon Moderator

Have you complete the network configuration before backing up or restoring from/to the network? You have to start your network configuration and map your NAS location before it's an accessible location to backup to.

4. mform

mform Registered Member

Thanks. This seemed to work as it found my local hard drive. However, I usually backup to a networked drive and SAFE mode does not see the network. NORMAL mode has a "Network Configuration" tab but it does not see the network either. It gives you the option of adding a network driver but I am not sure what to select here as the network interface is part of the motherboard chipset and not a separate card.

So I can see the local drive with either the standard recovery disk in Safe Mode or the WinPE disk, but neither seems to see the network. I moved here from Acronis since their support seems to be non-existent and I was hoping Paragon Drive Backup would solve my problems. I hope support here will be better.

Thanks again.

5. mform

mform Registered Member

OK. Where do I find the network configuration? The "Network Configurator" is not clickable in the Help file. Is there a tutorial on how to set up networking? Is this doable with the standard recovery disk in Safe Mode (which seems to be necessary for the program to see my local hard drives)?

Thanks for you help.

Mike

6. Paragon_Tommy

Is there a reason why we're running the backup from the recovery CD? The backup is capable of running in Windows, synchronizing partitions together, and low CPU usage.

In Windows, track down the model/chipset of your NIC. Download a copy of the driver (.inf) and use with the WinPE CD. Then your internal hard drive will be detected, NIC will be supported with the provided driver, and map your NAS location.

7. mform

mform Registered Member

I do not usually run backup from the recovery disk (although sometimes I do if I don't want to start up Windows) but the recovery disk needs to see the network drive where the backup is stored in order to restore. Is it possible to see the network with the standard (Linux) recovery disk instead of using WinPE? If it is possible, what needs to be changed to do this?

Thanks for your help. I appreciate it.

8. Paragon_Tommy

Linux, from my experience, does a better job with the network configuration and mapping.

Be sure to add a path where it states \mnt\mynetworkdrive for example.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.