No Fire Wall

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by WhatWillHappen, May 8, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Look ma, no firewall! What will happen if I do not have or use a firewall?

2. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

well you can just keep running without one and I am sure you will find out fairly shortly. :D A good firewall helps keep trojans and other malware off of your comp, Not to mention hackers and other bad guys. you can not depend only on an antivirus to do the job.

3. nadirah

nadirah Registered Member

No firewall? I pity your computer if you do not have a firewall at all. Very soon your computer is dead meat, free food for the hackers.... muahaha....

4. nadirah

nadirah Registered Member

Ah, he can run with or without a firewall, its his own personal choice. Up to him if he wants to protect his own comp or not.

5. Hard Rocker

Hard Rocker Registered Member

:rolleyes: Hi Guys,

Surely this guest placed this post as a joke .......... I mean lets be serious !! :D Great responses !!!

HR :cool:

6. Matt_Smi

Matt_Smi Registered Member

I don’t use a software firewall; I do have a linksys router for a hardware firewall however. But I have not had any problems with malware, I still do want to add a software firewall though, but just cannot decide on one!

7. squash

squash Registered Member

Firewall is (IMO) _the most_ important layer of defence. Even beats antivirus... Without one, your computer is completely viewable to crackers.

If you don't have either a software firewall or hardware firewall. Your computer will be infested soon with viruses and trojans.

Seriously, I tried running without a firewall of any kind once and within 5 minutes , of just connecting to the Internet and not doing anything at all, I got several trojans.

8. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

I will simply refer you to Jacques' Hack Attack.

Cheers :D

9. squash

squash Registered Member

Woah!
    Windows XP with no firewall and antivirus

8 seconds = Sasser
    5 mins = 100% CPU usage of malware
    30 mins = crashed completely

Interesting video, indeed.

10. Diver

Diver Registered Member

On that quick XP worm infection, is that for an up to date SP2 system? I know an SP1 box will go down fast without a firewall.

11. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

I have to interject here that I have on many occasions while installing Win2k been connected via cable to the internet without any firewall for literally hours without any ill effects. Done this more times than I can count. Never had a single problem. However, these days when I'm installing Windows I import a set of IPSec filters that act as a temporary firewall while I'm doing my updates on the net, just to be safe. Plus my ISP blocks some critical ports such as netbios and so on. Sometimes I just wonder if some of these stories are nonsense and scare tactics.. I suppose they're not though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.