No FD management console, can’t uninstall, system restore defective…

Discussion in 'FirstDefense-ISR Forum' started by ashwin, May 4, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ashwin

ashwin Registered Member

Greetings to you all - thanks for a great forum

I already had Bounceback software on my XP sp2 system, and have made several backups to a CMS ext drive for disaster recovery.

I installed FDISR and didn’t put the boot feature on “disable” when I went to do a backup to the ext hard drive… Ouch!!!
    During the scan the FD tray icon disappeared, but everything seemed to work, until I tried to switch to secondary snapshot to see if it would perform.

The system wouldn’t reboot except to safe mode. I tried to do a system restore, but an alert came up:
    "Changes made to drive(s) E:\ after this point cannot be reversed because the driver was either excluded from system restore monitoring, or was turned off or moved".
    I did the restore anyway, but FD still appeared on startup--(now I know what the pre- OS statements were about). However, there was no listing of First Defense in “Programs“, or on the uninstall programs page. It just kept appearing on start up, and then I was given the option to go to safe mode (tried the “last good config option- no luck).

In safe mode I went to start, search, and entered First Defense ISR and removed two executable files- which in hind sight I should not have, but I thought there might just be fragments that would remove and allow boot.

I finally uninstalled my BounceBack software, and was able to start up again.

I now have no access to the FD management console. The alert is:
    Problem with shortcut- the parameter is not correct.”

I tried to do a full uninstall, but got the alert:
    “This action only valid for products currently installed.”

The help file, log viewer, ISR control, and read me text open up, but the management console will not.

The above alert still comes up when doing a system restore date selection.

I want to fully uninstall FD to try again-

Or can I download “over” the existing FD??

Can anyone help me with this one??

2. Leapfrog Software

Leapfrog Software Leapfrog Management

Re: No FD management console, can’t uninstall, system restore defective…

Greetings ashwin,

We would be glad to work with you in order to get FD-ISR up and running on your system. If you would, please send a technical request to us here

Thanks

3. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Hi Ashwin

I went thru the same thing. Bounceback trashes FDISR for some reason. Not sure the problem was what you did with the preboot. I did in fact turn off preboot, and the result was the same. In fact working with Raxco I even retried after cleaning up. It will be interesting to see what Todd comes up with but what I had to do was manually remove FDISR, including the snapshots. It's messy as you you have to set the permissions and ownership of the folders to access them and then work your way thru them changing permissions, ownership and then deleting.

Hopefully Todd has a better idea.

Bye bye CMS

Pete

4. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

I'm not familiar with BounceBack. Does it control the MBR in some way?

Acadia

5. TonyW

TonyW Registered Member

6. Peter2150

No reason why it should. It's a straight forward file backup program. When it happened to me, I got it all cleaned up, and at Raxco's request, actually reinstalled FDISR, and reinstalled Bounceback, and the result was the same. Gave me more practice at clean up:D

I don't know what the problem was but they weren't compatible.

Pete

7. ashwin

ashwin Registered Member

Thanks everyone- I'll keep you posted.

All the best-

Ashwin

8. ashwin

ashwin Registered Member

Greetings

I have removed Bounceback from my system except for a file which I am having trouble getting ownership of. It is my first try at the process, so I’m on the steep part of the learning curve.
    The FD snapshots are still on my system. Todd has been helpful and directed me to a webpage which may help in removing the remaining Bounceback file(s) and/or snapshot: http://aumha.org/a/stubborn.php
    I am looking at the paragraphs of instructions there, as well as the several free softwares near the bottom of the webpage:
    http://noeld.com/programs.asp?cat=misc
    http://www.snapfiles.com/get/moveonboot.html

I am considering which of the strategies to use there, as it is all new to me. I have some e-mails into Todd, but wanted to let you all know for sure I agree with Pete: this is messy, and for newbies: capitol MESSY!

Pete if you see this and still have your protocol for all the removals, I’d appreciate the input. Have you seen/used the software listed above?

Not to speak for Todd, but if I understood him correctly, he agrees the CMS incompatibility should be posted, to avoid this scenario.

CMS had this to say:
    “You may try going into your device manager and disabling the CMS Port
    I/O Driver. Don't worry this won't affect the functionality of our
    software but may resolve the conflict between our software and FDISR.”

Since Bounceback is currently off my system, this is a non-issue for me now.

So far:
    1) removed all FDISR (Leapfrog has a nifty cleaner utility for this)
    2) tried reinstalling FDISR (didn’t work: was going to use the fresh install to remove
    snapshots)
    3) Tried to remove files/folders of Bounceback in safe mode (still one left).
    The file begins with c:\$ISR…but it will not delete, and the message comes up:
    “Cannnot delete: avg7log.log.lck…access denied”
    4)ran chkdsk (no apparent damage)

Next:
    5)Remove traces of Bounceback software
    6)Try the FDISR install again, then remove snapshots with another uninstall…
    Or
    7)Remove snapshots by hand
    8 )send image to external hard drive (if CMS, then uninstall again)
    8 )Final install of FDISR

So I am currently looking at the best way to do 5/6/7...Any input appreciated.

Regards
    Ashwin

9. Peter2150

Hi Ashwin

I'd try and see if you can do another install of FDISR. I couldn't. I took a look at those links you provided and they won't help. They all relate to files locked by a running process. The problem here is an ownership and permission issue within NTFS. With XP pro you can go into explorer and right click on the folders and start changing ownership and permissions. When you've licked that monster, and actually start deleting stuff since there are naturally copies of the system files, windows will thru up some warning messages that will scare a few years off your life.

Ask Todd about that and hopefully he might help. It was trial and error for me.

Pete

PS If the reinstall of FDISR works for you kiss the ground, you've truly been spared. The reinstall would fail for me.

10. ashwin

ashwin Registered Member

Good News: Robert at Leapfrog has tamed the dragon. Within FD there is a folder named “ 0.” Roberts instructions:
    1. Rename the "0" folder to "0Save". Stop if you get an error.
    2. Try the install again.

Bingo. What a relief. Many thanks to Robert and Todd at Leapfrog. The install/uninstall (to remove the old snapshots, with traces of Bounceback) all went smooth.

P.S. For anyone with XP Home:
    I had no luck with XP Home and taking ownership of files and folders to attempt deletion. Following the steps published by MS, when I checked the box “Replace owner on sub containers and objects,” and click “OK,” the correct yes/no message did not pop up as indicated…I tried the “apply” option also. When I returned back to the tab, the box is unchecked, even though I followed the process and checked it.

The “use simple file sharing” option is available on XP pro to check/uncheck, but not on XP Home.

MS instructions on ownership: http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=308421

Thanks and All the Best-

Ashwin

11. Peter2150

Hi Ashwin

Kiss the ground man, you've been spared. This is great news I hope never to have to take advantage of.

Pete

12. wilbertnl

wilbertnl Registered Member

I'm glad that you got your problem solved, Ashwin.

Concerning XP Home Edition and security, it really helps if you have a program like file security manager
    This tool enables the 'Pro security features' for XP Home users.

Still, it baffles me that recursively changing ownership and permissions of a complete folder structure doesn't seem to work.

13. Peter2150

There are setting that control that, and FDISR does a fine job of really protecting everything.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.