No extension to the left!

Discussion in 'Paragon Partition Manager Product Line' started by tools100, Oct 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tools100

tools100 Registered Member

Perhaps a new thread will accept the evidence. Ok this does it. So we have the result, the unallocated space is between C and D, as it had been in the beginning, after my resizing c: some days ago, i.e. c: had been too large, d: had been too tiny, so I had separated a piece from c: into unallocated space, then into a new partition ( since I hadn't been able to join it with d: ), then again unallocated space, etc., etc., etc.).

The NEXT screenshot is the interesting (and the last) one. Let's wait the 5 min.

Attached Files:

• 444.gif
      444.gif
      File size:
      11.3 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2012
  2. tools100

So here we see very clearly what I had wanted to explain from start on: If it's not partition c:, a partition can NOT be EXTENDED to the LEFT.

Again, if this is a deliberate crippling of the free version, that is understandable, but then clearly say so, it's of NO use to say, if you're not happy with the free version, buy the version that can be bought. Clearly state if this is a difference between free and paid versions, or say I'm doing something wrong?

I, without further notice, see it as a bug, and a bug that is probably in the paid version as well. And please be so kind to assume that the following screenshot is the one corresponding to the one immediately preceding it, i.e. it's the recovery partition, c:, the unallocated space as above, and then the program REFUSES to allocate that unallocated space, to the LEFT of d:, to d:

As I had said from start on. And yes, I can post the complete screenshot where the two things are within the same shot, and I'll immediately try.

Attached Files:

3. tools100

This is the screen in its entirety, and no, I'm not playing games here, no Photoshop or other manipulation. Well, this is NOT the entire screen. Seems I must first check with my screenshot program.

Attached Files:

4. tools100

Since the screen was two windows, 1 active, 1 not active, it didn't work. I've selected a rectangle by hand now.

And remember, there is NO difference if the space between c: and d: is "not allocated space" or if it's another partition g: or whatever: In BOTH cases, I get the dialog as we see it here, i.e. NOT allowing for extension of partition d: And, I had said that in the beginning, neither is possible any mouse processing here, e.g. drag-n-drop of the unallocated space beyond d: or drag-n-drop of d: between c: and the unallocated space. And, as said in the beginning, I tried the various "Wizards", etc., etc., etc. - And of course, I went into such depths in order to have my problem resolved here, let's say by the week-end? And not in order to have evidence for reviews on cnet, etc., where I buried some other programs - but I HAVE got that necessary evidence now in order to be legally entitled to do such reviews if the problem is NOT resolved - and of course, I saved these threads.

As said, I lost valuable data with this program some versions ago, so I'm very angry about it, but perhaps I didn't understand some detail, and the mistake is with me, so I'm eager to know. And no, I will NOT buy the paid version just for trying if bugs are only within the free version. Should I begin with my review here, or is there a chance you'll have a look into this issue.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 4, 2012
  5. Paragon_Matt

Paragon_Matt Paragon Moderator

Tools,

The reason you are running into this issue is due to the fact that your SonyD D: partition is a logical one, on the left hand side of your screen see a little grey tab named 'Partition list' if you open that, you will see that your logical partition is sitting within an extended partition (it's how Microsoft allows you to create more than 4 Primary partitions on a single drive). You will need to right click on the extended partition and choose to 'move/resize' and resize the extended partition over the unallocated space, which will then allow you to resize your SonyD D: partition.

You can watch this how to video which is not exactly what you are doing but will give you the general idea.

Paragon Partition Manager Resize: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gsw-_3cTDmM

6. tools100

Matt, thank you very much for your hint which is a bit theoretical but perfectly right, and I grasped it immediately after having seen the perfect demonstration of SIW2 in the other thread which is tremendously helpful and intuitive:

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?p=2125137#post2125137

Please allow for joining two more screenshots that clearly demonstrate the necessary difference in selecting that I, during all those hours, did NOT make, and on a logical level, it's even necessary to do as you both say since my selection was tinier than yours (= the "SonyD" in my screenshots is one level down "under" "Unallocated" just before, but this tiny graphical distinction wasn't enough to made me grasp it), i.e. I tried, in vain, to enlarge a tinier thing with a bigger element, whilst in your selection, the graphical representation of both is equally-sized, i.e. I tried to join disparate elements, where SIW2 joins same-level elements. In SIW2's example, there are TWO such tinier elements within the equally-sized one, so the distinction becomes evident, whilst in my example, there is just one tinier element within the equally-sized one, so it NEVER EVER happened to me to try to select the outer border.

Of course, for people having better knowledge of the Windows file system, that necessary distinction would have been evident early on, but not for me, all the less so since there is no "header" or something for that outer, "container" element. So please allow me my suggestion that in such screens displayed by PPM, the program should display, immediately above that outer container, a sort of "title"/indication of that outer container, in order for people like me to grasp there is a thing different from the inner container, perhaps even in the form "[Checkbox] - select (not drive but) partition [name]" or something like that, immediately above the container, thus a little bit below the global "Basic MBR Hard Disk..." (in my example), and in regular, not in bold as the letter.

Another thing, the "menu" above it has got very much (unnecessary) space, and even when the user enlarges the "Disk Map" part of the screen, the graphical representation of the partitions are not enlarged, but of course, a vertical resizing would allow for better labeling of the graphical representation.

And last, as soon as I select the outer container, I only get "Move/Resize Partition", as the only possible command there, and which works perfectly well, but when I had selected, during all those hours of fiddling, the inner container, I always had a menu ("Volume Letter: D", etc., which should have arisen my suspicion but which didn't, and) Move/Resize Partition / Format Partition / Copy the selected partition / Defragment Partition" whilst in fact I hadn't selected a partition but a drive, if I understand well, the drive d: within the extended (unnamed?) partition there.

So my confusion with operating levels here has partly been induced by what the program showed me and said to me, or at the very least, what the program showed and told me, was not suited to made me become aware of my mistake.

So I was right in this, the interaction between the program and the user could be refined, but I have no reason whatsoever to believe that it hasn't become, on the technical level, a fine program. Perhaps in those days I lost my data (and where my psychological problem with this program started), I got, in spite of my trying to do things right and meticulously, into a similar trap as these last days, but on the technical level, the program "allowed" for such user mistakes to be executed - hence the data loss at that time -, whilst today, it just made me stop... and perhaps "tomorrow", it will even give users a hint why it doesn't allow that process?

Please receive my apologies, and also receive my deepest thanks, Matt and especially SIW2.

So here the two screenshots; the difference, at the right, being the (falsely) inner container (= drive) vs. the (correctly) outer container (=partition) selected, by mouse.

Thank you both very much again!

Attached Files:

7. SIW2

SIW2 Registered Member

You're welcome, tools.

If you only have one logical drive , it isn't easy to tell, as you said.

Glad you got it sorted out.:D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.