No Dll tag ?

Discussion in 'LnS English Forum' started by Andyslogos, Sep 1, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Andyslogos

Andyslogos Guest

Hi All

I'm new to lns, I've been using Sygate for 18 months but I am fed up with their poor service, the current version is unusable on win 98 and has been for ages now also the leak test results are rubbish.

I have set it up as per the 'sticky' and imported 'enhanced rules', WHY on earth are they not set as default? As standard it fails the port tests badly, with the rules it's fine....uum weird that.

Anyway in options/advanced I DO NOT have a DLL 'tab' to click as in the sticky instructions.. any ideas ?

Secondly In the log file I just constantly get 'any other udp packet' is that OK ? If yes what does it mean and why does it keep coming up ?

Also can I stop the log file ?

Thirdly is the tray icon 'dead'? In sygate it's active so you can tell when it is blocking or not (just makes you feels at ease) with lns I don't know if it's doing anything apart from keep looking at the log.

Lastly In application filtering/active applications why on earth does it keep listing the same applications over and over ? LNS is currently shown about 100 times while I'm writing this... is that normal ?

Sorry If these are tedious questions it just seems alot more confusing to use than Sygate.

Thanks in advance for any help
    Regards
    Andy

2. Thomas M

Thomas M Registered Member

Andyslogos,
    Welcome to LnS!!

Re: 1.) DLL detection is not supported in Win98

Re: 2.) Could be some Windows file/print sharing stuff. You can create specific rules to block these and deactivate the log function for these

Re: 3.) In general there is an arrow for logging on/off in the Options window

Re: 4.) In LnS the icon is "dead" as you defined.

Re: 5.) This is strange. Maybe someone else has an idea....

Thomas :)

3. Andyslogos

Andyslogos Guest

Hi Thomas

Thanks for that, sorry I realised the dll wasn't for win 98 afterwards, should have checked a bit more thoroughly ! Sygate does support win 98 on that.

The Log file 'check box' makes no difference if it's selected or not !

I'm concerened now about the 'udp packets' since you didn't say 'oh thats normal, thats what you should be getting !'

'Funny' it's passed test I've done with it but I'm not convinced....

Regards
    Andy

4. Andyslogos

Andyslogos Guest

Hi

As you said thomas the udp 'thing' was file sharing rule I imported for Win MX because it stopped working after I installed lns.
    There was 2 new rules, one being allow udp, so even though I wasn't using winmx does that mean my PC was open to 'abuse' ? I blocked that 1 rule and winmx still works but will it block others from uploading from me ?

Why does it need seperate rules for everything ? Surely it should just block 'bad' traffic or not.

Yours even more unsure of LNS
    Andy

5. Thomas M

Thomas M Registered Member

Hmm, on my system the log file is always "on". Never tried to turn it off.

No, you shouldn't be worried about the UDP rule. As far as I remember I also received these log entries in the beginning. This rule just blocks ALL other UDP traffic, which is not specifically addressed in another rule above.
    I created a rule to block the file/print share traffic in my network (since I do not need it / And yes, you could also deactivate your file/print sharing traffic within Windows 98 ) and marked this rule to not being logged. So it disappeared.

LnS is a very good firewall, which I can strongly recommend, and it passes all stealth tests I know.
    Of course it all depends on your ruleset!!

Thomas :)

6. Andyslogos

Andyslogos Guest

Hi Thomas

I was wrong what I said above, the udp packets are still coming in.I'll stick with it for a while and see how I get on.

Thanks again
    Andy :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.