No connection to internet

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by MRSCT, May 14, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MRSCT

MRSCT Registered Member

I have 3 computers with major problems. The one I want right now is the one that recently loss it's connection to the internet when I loaded an antispyware program I think.

MRSCT

2. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

MRSCT,

The best course is described here. It describes the use of WinsockXPFix. There is also a manual way of doing it that is also outlined there. If you have XP with Service Pack 2 (SP2) installed, there is yet another way to tackle it:
    Blue

3. MRSCT

MRSCT Registered Member

Just lost what I typed. :mad: Most of the time I don't have any idea what I am doing, I just follow the directions. :)

Now do I bring up windsockfix and type netsh windsock reset on the blackboard? Or do I put it in the address bar? I do have XP and I have SP2 loaded on my computer. I'll try this and see if anything happens tomorrow.
    Thanks
    MRSCT

4. GlobalForce

GlobalForce Regular Poster

Hi MRSCT, :)

You may want to clear your mailbox inside the User Control Panel. You'll find it at the bottom of you're private messages
    like in my screenshot. Click either entry and save them to "My Documents" or the desktop when prompted. Then go and checkmark the entire column, switch the dialog box to delete and hit "GO!"

This will allow the people you have sent pm's to reply to your's. ;)

GF

Attached Files:

5. BlueZannetti

MRSCT,

No, these are different approaches to the same problem - it's an either/or approach. So, you can either
    • Execute the small program WinsockXPFix by downloading it from here. It is a standalone executable, meaning you done have to "install" it, you simply double click on the file and run it. When you run it, click the Backup-Reg button first (to backup the registry), and the click the Fix button. If you choose this method, that is all that it done. You don't type in anything else.
    • Instead of the option above, since you have SP2, you could type netsh winsock reset at the command prompt (Start>All Programs>Accessories>Command Prompt) and then Enter to execute that command.
    • Instead of either two options above, you could try some manual registry editing. I don't recommend this approach in general.
    Blue

6. MRSCT

MRSCT Registered Member

I got as far as the backing up registry. It says Error saving file C\ERDNT\system ! continue next file? It's going very slow, it's on 19 %. 3 of 12
    I just have to be patient.
    MRSCT

7. BlueZannetti

MRSCT,

How much space is on the hard drive on this system?

I ask, since my initial though is that the registry was corrupt, but that shouldn't generate an error on the backup save per se (although depending on how this utility is programmed, I can see that as a possibility)

If the registry is, in fact, corrupted, it is possible to recover. However, while it is possible for a home user to recover, the process is long and somewhat complicated, and I would strongly recommend getting trained help who would be able to analyze the situation while seated in front of your machine. If things are that bad, this is what is really needed. Even then, a complete system reinstallation is potentially required (as opposed to an in place repair).

In some respects, a complete reinstallation is easier than an in-place repair although one runs the risk of losing personally valuable files.

If that is the case, do nothing at this point except start to save files and information that you will need. This includes key codes for on-line purchased software, order numbers for same if you need to contact the vendor, and so on. It is too easy to start down a system reinstall path and then discover you are missing some needed information.

But before you start down that road - how much free space in on the hard drive?

Blue

8. MRSCT

MRSCT Registered Member

I did all the steps listed, the computer told me to restart it, but there is no change.
    OK.....I have for C 1.39G 9% free and for D 15.25G 15% free

9. BlueZannetti

Space on both drives is a little lean, but that should not be generating the problems you are experiencing.

You could attempt an in-place reinstallation of the operating system. Do not do this if you believe that you system is infected with malware. Here is a link from Microsoft explaining what to do. It is precisely the same steps as an upgrade, expect you're upgrading to the "same" OS. Make sure you have your XP product key available (see the link). This should be either with the original CD's or on you PC - verify that it is the product key (5 sets of 5 characters each, like ABC1D-FG2HI-J3KLM-N456O-PQ7RS). You may also need CD's which came with cards, etc., that were supplied with the PC or added later. Have all of this assembled before beginning. After that, it is basically following the instructions as they appear. It is best to have someone experienced do this.

However, I really think a completely clean slate is the way to go here. What I would recommend is:
    • Install a new C dive - say an 80GB drive for $80 and start fresh with that.
    • Reinstall XP and SP2 on the new C drive (again, make sure you have the product key available before you start).
    • Reinstall McAfee AV before connecting to the internet
    • Make sure the Windows firewall is active if you don't have another firewall to install or a router
    • Allow Windows update to connect to the internet to make you current
    • Reinstall all desired applications on the new C:
    • Swap the existing C: drive temporarily with D:. Update McAfee and scan the C: drive. Clean off any malware found and copy everything desired from the old C: drive onto a folder (named something like Old_Drive) on the new C: drive
    • Replace the D: drive to it's original location and also perform a complete scan with McAfee
    Whether you do this or have someone else perform it depends on your comfort level (or that of another family members). It is worth the cost to have this work done and validated by a pro.

It seems like a fair amount of work, and it is, but sometimes that is what is required :(

Blue

10. MRSCT

MRSCT Registered Member

WOW WOW WOW...

Lots to think about. Why didn't the winsock work ya think? My husband should know how to install another drive. I'm thinking about all the material on the drive. You can see that we only have a little room to play with. I'm not sure what happen to our OS CD's for the Sony.

I'm the one that tinkers on the internet for help, and my husband knows what's in the box :D :D. I'll discuss everything with my husband and check in on what we have decided.

MRSCT :cool:

11. BlueZannetti

MRSCT,

It sounds like this machine needs attention from someone that can be at the keyboard and is comfortable mucking around with both hardware and software.

If it is a light machine (not many applications used), you might be able to free up space on the hard drive to make everything comfortable with an in-place reinstall. Or, the hard drive might be on the front end of failing and you're just seeing the start of it - this is how one of my own failed - so a fix could be temporary. Or there may be some malware unrecognized by those of us working remotely.

There are a lot of avenues that you could go down - but the key common thread is that someone reasonably experienced should be doing the diagnosis from the keyboard of the machine - that's really what I'm focusing on - and I (meaning me) would defer to their judgement in this case - my suggestions could be overkill for the situation at hand, it is difficult to tell from afar.

Blue

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.