No cleanup of tmp files?

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by paroots, Sep 4, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. paroots

paroots Registered Member

I am new to nod32 and trying to set it up properly. I noticed that there are over 1 GByte in tmp files (eg, NODAE62.tmp) located in C:\Windows\Temp. They seem to be created during a scan since the creation time corresponds to a on-demand scan. Nod32 doesn't seem to delete them and they are not affected by a reboot. Can anyone explain:
    1. why so many?
    2. why doesn't nod delete them when finished?
    3. and is it safe for me to delete them?
    Thanks.

2. ASpace

ASpace Guest

I have never seen such files in my computer . I am also a reseller , haven't seen such file into my clients' computer

It is safe to delete them , absolutely.

They may appear because you have checked something useless.Uncheck "List all files" as shown in the screenshot.

Since you new NOD32 user , make sure you read Blackspear's tutorial and learn how to setup NOD32 for maximum protection and automated works

Enjoy! :thumb:

Attached Files:

3. pykko

pykko Registered Member

hmm...strange. I have no NOD...tmp in that folder even after a scan. o_O
    Try to clean your logs (Logs-> NOD32 Scanner Logs) and see what happens. :)

4. paroots

Thanks for the fast responses. I did not have 'List all Files' checked so that should not be the problem. Also, I have configured nod32 per Blackspear recommendations with modifications on On-Demand Scanner/Setup as follows:
    1. Enable wrap log
    2. Enable overwrite
    3. Set max size to 10000
    4. Modified path for log name
    5. Under Advanced, selected send alerts with detailed information

Could any of these be the source of the problem? I should also mention that my scans take 4 hours.

By the way, how does one insert the Setup screenshot? I know how to create the appropriate gif or jpeg file; I just don't know how to insert it into the post.

Attached Files:

5. pykko

pykko Registered Member

now, you have inserted it I see. :D Have you tried clearing the logs? Sekect all logs and right-click them and Delete. This may help. :)

6. paroots

Yes, I did get the screenshot inserted. I was fooled since 'Preview Post' did not show it. I have been deleting logs so I don't think that's related to the problem.

As a test just now:
    1. I setup my screen exactly as indicated by HiTech boy above
    2. I deleted all old tmp files
    3. I then started another scan

As the scan proceeds, I can see the number of tmp files growing. It adds another tmp file every minute or so while actually scanning. The problem seems to occur only during the period while scanning. Any more ideas would be appreciated. Thanks.

7. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

Hi Paroots, your screenshot shows 1GB as the file size allowable for logs, this would be the reason.

The defaults can be seen in the following screenshot.

Cheers :D

Attached Files:

8. paroots

Thanks again for the feedback. I've done an uninstall and re-install of nod32 and this time followed this procedure:
    1. Precise quick install per xTiNcTion instructions
    2. Modified iMon to Higher Efficiency (as recommended)
    3. Restricted scan to drive C only (to save time)
    4. Added on-demand scan schedule (to start in 5 minutes)
    5. Rebooted
    6. Scan started as scheduled

I still get tons of tmp files being added to C:\Windows\Temp as the scan proceeds?!? Here is some of my installed software in case it's relevent:
    Windows XP Pro (fully updated)
    Lavasoft Ad-Aware
    Spybot Search & Destroy (resident in memory)
    Registry Mechanic
    CCleaner
    WinPatrol (resident in memory)

Any other ideas are appreciated!

Attached Files:

9. paroots

As followup to my previous post, I have installed the trial version of nod32 on 3 other computers and have noted the following:
    1. nod32 creates and deletes tmp files in C:\Windows\Temp during a scan
    2. the number of tmp files at any one time varies between 0 and 5
    3. nod32 deletes all tmp files when finished with the scan

My computer, on the other hand, seems to create tmp files, but not delete them. Other programs running on my computer create and delete tmp files so it would seem to be something unique to nod32. The most recent scan was performed with both spybot and winpatrol removed from resident memory to see if there was a conflict there. No changes were noted. Any other ideas would be much appreciated!

10. ctrlaltdelete

ctrlaltdelete Registered Member

Uncheck te "List all files" option.

11. Defenestration

Defenestration Registered Member

10000 KB = 10000/1024 MB = 10MB (approximately) :p :D

12. Blackspear

Indeed, I missed 1 zero ;) :D

13. paroots

Please see my most recent screenshot of Setup above. I have done a full uninstall and re-install using the Quick Method described in Sticky. Setup now matches Blackspear's recommendation. This change did not have any effect on the creation (without deletion) of tmp files.

14. Blackspear

Could you please post a screenshot of your log settings: NOD32 System Tools> NOD32 System Setup> Setup

Attached Files:

15. paroots

As requested here is the screenshot. Thanks for your help.

Attached Files:

16. paroots

I hate to add to the issue, but I've found that my computer crashes several times per day. By crash, I mean several applications stop responding and I can't even bring up the Task Manager. The only resolution is to cycle the power off and on. I suspect that it may be related to the very strange behavior creating, but not deleting tmp files while scanning. This problem seems to arise only when a scan is running. When not running a scan, the computer is stable. I've uninstalled and re-installed nod32 numerous times without any change in behavior. Is there anything else that might be worth trying. Here are some of my applications:
    Zone Alarm Pro (firewall)
    Ad-aware
    Spybot (memory resident)
    Winpatrol (memory resident)
    Registry Mechanic

I should say, that the tmp file problem is unchanged whether Zone Alarm is installed or not. I've also verified that the tmp file problem still occurs when Spybot and Winpatrol are removed from memory. Any more ideas would be much appreciated. I like nod32, but if I can't find a resolution, then naturally I must look elsewhere .

17. NOD32 user

NOD32 user Registered Member

This may seem like a silly question, but you do only have one antivirus installed right?
    And any previous antivirus is completely removed using vendor provided tools if available to finish the job and clean up afterwards?

Cheers :)

18. paroots

Thanks for the feedback. Yes, I am running only nod32 antivirus. Also, I have an image created by Acronis TrueImage V9 prior to installation of any antivirus software. That way, I can be sure that when I install nod32 (from this image), there are no remnants of other antivirus programs.

19. paroots

Thanks for all the help. Steve from CSA (http://www.nod32-av.com/) helped me solve the problem. Turned out to be a part of my PGP software called pgptray.exe. When this (optional) tray feature was removed, the tmp file problem disappeared and the scan time was reduced from over 4 hours to 58 minutes! I still don't know if the computer crash problem has been solved, but it hasn't reocurred within the last two days so I'm hopeful. I was so impressed with his support I went ahead and ordered the 4 license family pack. With that kind of support, figured I couldn't go wrong!

20. Blackspear

Good to see, and thanks for letting us know paroots.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.