No China AV tested in international Tests, Why?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by aluckystar, Jun 2, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aluckystar

aluckystar Registered Member

I am a Chinese live in Shanghai.
    There are about 4 large AV Company in China Now:

Rising Antivirus (http://www.rising-global.com) 60% of Market share
    Jiangmin Antivirus (http://global.jiangmin.com/) 10% of Market share
    Kingsoft Antivirus (http://www.kingsoft.com/en/index.shtml) 10% of Market share
    Guanghua Antivirus (http://www.viruschina.com/english/index.htm) 5% of Market share

But I have not seen them on international test for a long time. Thus, I don't know their rank in the world.

compare_4ewQys0kP8sy.jpg
    This picture is the only test I can find , it's 3 years ago.

And now the tests in China are made by magazines, these magazines do the test while at the same time advertise one of these AV softwares in their magazine.So the result is not convincible , I think.

At last, I do hope some International Organizations can test Chinese AV software. I can offer the download links of the trial version of these softwares if anyone needs them.

2. IBK

IBK AV Expert

Rising will soon be included in a test done by me. Kingsoft did not reply to me, and it looks like it is currently not interested in english/international market.

3. aluckystar

That's Great!

Kingsoft's trial version in English is hard to get.But it offers one in japanese site (www.kingsoft.jp)

What about Jiangmin and Guanghua ?

4. IBK

IBK AV Expert

the other 2 i will not test because they "do not fit in my ethical mind". :mad: - maybe someone else will test them.

5. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

Can you enlighten a little further on this?

Cheers :D

6. IBK

IBK AV Expert

dunno:rolleyes: , but i think anyone should respect the copyrights of other av companies. ;):ninja:

7. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

Enough said, thanks :D

Cheers :D

8. aluckystar

9. smallav

smallav Registered Member

Guanghua Antivirus?"Code" by Jack Liu?Why test it?

10. aluckystar

What's about Jack Liu ?

11. smallav

Jack is a "GOOOOOOOOOOOD" "Coder".His products:

Av95
    Av98
    Kingsoft (one beta version of command line scanner?)
    SecustarXP
    Jiangmin
    VRV(?)

Now is Guanghua...

So many different versions of AVP;)

12. shek

shek Registered Member

IBK---

you mean Jiangmin and Guanghua have "special" relationship with one of the leaders in AV industry, right? If yes, then I know what happened. Actually many chinese heard it several years ago. But what surprise me is why that leader has never sued those two. Btw, the plagiarism happened after Jackie Liu went to Jiangmin. Then he jumped to Guanghua.

After Jackie Liu left, Jiangmin did develop their own engine based on what it got from the leader. Now based on what i see from some security forums and personal tests, there is an obvious difference between Jiangmin and the orginal. But I don't know how big the difference is.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2006
  13. shek

shek Registered Member

Did he work for kingsoft before? I never heard of it. Even if he made a beta scanner for kingsoft, it had never been released to public. Kingsoft has its own engine.

14. smallav

That beta version just a command line scanner,seems same as Jack's av2000.I got it from the beta version of Duba.net?:cautious:

Kingsoft has its own engine since 2005?

15. IBK

IBK AV Expert

yes there is a big difference indeed.
    anyway jiangmin did not reply.

16. shek

shek Registered Member

I think Kingsoft used their own engine from the begining, which i mean to start selling this product, forget the beta version. But that engine was so bad that version 2 became double engines. the extra one was bought from drweb. The situation continued untill its own engine became stable and effective, which was the year 2004. After that, kingsoft came back to one engine av again.

17. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

One look at this thread and my brother immediately stated that Jiangmin and Guanghua have tried to clone the Kaspersky engine. Unfortunately, not everything can be cloned perfectly, which is why Jiangmin and Guanghua fall far behind Kaspersky in detection rates. They were unable to perfectly clone the engine, and even if they were cloning the updates:)o), then the flawed engine would not use the bases properly.

18. shek

shek Registered Member

Actually the clone did pretty well. But as I said, after Liu left at 2004, Jiangmin developed its own, which is the reason why big difference shows up. Meanwhile its base was not the same as kav during the time of clone, because it added lots of malwares which were popular in China only.

19. aluckystar

I want to know how soon I can get the result of the test on Rising AV 2006 because i haven't see tests like this for such a long time. Thank you.

And Kingsoft has released Kingsoft Internet Security 2006 on Japanese Market. It also supplies English GUI. There are many people in China, Japan and other English-speaking countries using it now (BTW, Kingsoft now is using its own engine called "The Blue Core"), so I hope it can be tested.

20. ink

ink Registered Member

I think you can find some value tests in china, Jiangmin and Guanghua maybe a little better in detection rates than Rising and Duba. Duba have its own engine and fast enough. So it is not necessary to test them all ,just using the result of Rising to do a comparision. By the way, the local software is usually faster response to the threat that emerge here, but lack of proactive defense, although it is not necessary to implement in antivirus software.
    The test may not cover the region distribution, some malware is only discovered in some country, so have a good detection in the local trojan and backdoor is much important.
    For example, nod32 is very good at the detection of the variants of Graybird trojan here, but I encouter a simple vbs trojan that infect over 1000 computers here by usb-drive and the computers can't boot for losing the loading files, the local antivirus got the sample a little late but earlier than nod32 4 days after I submit the samples. In fact nearly all the antivirus is not so good at detect this kind of simple vbs trojan.

21. SDS909

SDS909 Registered Member

The last I tested Rising (registered version), was in 2004, and it scored pretty reasonable on a 75,000 testbed.

Fun fun product, great interface, pretty fast, and lots of cool features. I was really impressed with how streamlined and clean the whole package and interface were.

Enter 2006, it is looking much better from the screenshots, and I have heard their engine was improved. In addition I provided them with a substantial amount of threats in 2004. I would be interested to hear how good it does these days on a updated test.

22. Firecat

a) A test in 2004 tells very little about how good a product is today.

b) An unprofessional test says nothing about the performance of an AV.

c) I agree, Rising AV has a good interface and decent features

d) This is not a jab at you. Please do not take it personally. :)

e) We will see Rising AV's detection rates when IBK releases the next AV-comparatives test. :)

23. SDS909

SDS909 Registered Member

Which is exactly why I posted the disclaimer it was in 2004. Did you miss that part?

Actually it was a paid professional test.

That's one test, lets see how it does over a spectrum of testers, both hobbiest and professional. :blink:

24. Firecat

Well, then you have my apologies. :)

And I interpreted your words wrongly, sorry for that too. :)

BTW, is there an internet link to any tests that you have performed?

Thanks,
    FC :)

25. SDS909

SDS909 Registered Member

I can't be specific about the test, which is why I as hesistant to even mention it. The NDA I signed ensures I can't really say much of anything specific.

But Rising did "Ok", better than I expected. I hope it does better in 2006, I loved the interface and plethora of options!

Edit: No offense taken, sorry if my reply was a bit stern. My apologies.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.