No boot: cloning in windows - or just another USB problem?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Sonny Burnett, Jan 17, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hello,

Last week I had serious problems cloning my 2,5" harddrive to a bigger one (40GB original, 100GB new one, 2 partitions).

To speed up the operation I took both harddrives in (two) USB 2.0 enclosures and connected them to my desktop pc. USB enclosures: Mapower 1x KC21 & 1x KC51 with 3,5"-2,5" IDE adapter, both Genesys Logic 811E-04 chipsets.

After cloning the drive without errors, everything seemed fine (tested automatic + manual settings). Unfortunately the cloned drive is not bootable. After the postscreen a blinking cursor appears in the upper left corner und nothing more happens. I tried fixmbr, fixboot and xp repair installation. Still the same.

I repeated this cloning procedure many times with the above drive/enclosure constellation - everytime this annoying cursor and no booting windows.

After this disapointment I took the target drive out of the enclosure (KC51) and put it into the notebook. The other enclosure (KC21) containing the source drive was connected to the notebook. Then I bootet from TrueImage CD (lartest build) und cloned the drive again. IT WORKED !!!

So, I'm asking me: what's the difference?

The apparant differences were:
    * cloned in windows -|vs.|- cloned with boot-cd
    * 2 drives in enclosures -|vs.|- only one , the other internal

Maybe someone can tell me why cloning the drive in windows wasn't successful.

Thanks in advance,
    Roman

2. Is my English too bad or just no idea?

Thanks,
    Sonny aka Roman

3. Chutsman

Chutsman Registered Member

Cloning with True Image works for some and not for many others. A successful clone seems to be hardware dependent. You happen to hit on the right combination to get a successful clone.

It may also depend on the version number and Build of TI. What are yours?

4. RetiredBri

RetiredBri Registered Member

Hi

A number of people seem to have more success when using the boot cd since Windows is not involved.
    Also, it is important to not let windows boot while the original and cloned drives are in the machine together. It seems good practice to remove the cloned drive and check that the original works still and hasn't been changed. Then to remove the original, fit the clone and confirm that it truely is a clone of the original and works in all respects. This operation is because there isn't a verification check on cloned copies. It's possible that there could be a deep lurking error that could cause some problem, probably when we need the PC the most :mad:

Regards

RetiredBri

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.