Nitro PDF Pro vs PDF-XChange Viewer PRO...?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by loyukfai, Jun 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. loyukfai

loyukfai Registered Member

Currently using PDF Annotator which is kind of underwhelming.

Looking at Nitro PDF Professional and PDF-XChange Viewer PRO. Original prices are different in a big way ($99 vs $34.5) but Nitro is heavily discounted both on newegg and eBay.

Nitro's interface is fancy and looks like the Office ribbon. XChange's looks more practical through.

Nitro's pen interface is difficult to input complex characters like Chinese, seems it implements too much smoothing and so breaks the flow. XChange's better in that regard, still falls short of PDF Annotator's through.

XChange seems to have more tools readily available.

BTW, PDF-XChange Viewer is going to see v3 soon.

What's your take...?

2. HAN

HAN Registered Member

3. loyukfai

Maybe. But I've given both of them a try and I couldn't tell how Nitro Pro is asking 3 times the price of Viewer PRO. And since their effective prices are similar, I would like to hear from others so to make a better-informed decision.

Nitro Pro includes a PDF printer but Viewer PRO also includes a copy of PDF-XChange Lite (which is free for home and academic users, BTW). While the "Lite" version is stated as "functions limited", it doesn't seem to me that Nitro's print driver is very sophisticated either, I can see the open source PDFCreator with more options and granular controls offered.

Nitro also offers some Office add-ins.

One thing the Nitro Pro offers (for $20 more) is that it has OCR capability.

Cheers.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2011
  4. J_L

J_L Registered Member

PDF-XChange Viewer PRO is natively 64-bit compatible.

5. prius04

prius04 Registered Member

Agreed. I started using the free PDF-XChange Viewer, upgraded to PDF-XChange Viewer PRO (for almost next to nothing on a promotion), and ultimately upgraded to PDF-XChange PRO (again for a very, very low price). It really does everything I need it to do and more. Having said that.....

.....I'm having a tough time digesting the pricing on Nitro PDF Pro. As you mentioned, PDF-XChange PRO is $74 while Nitro PDF Pro is $99, via purchase through their respective web sites. However, after reading the OP, by loyukfai, I discovered that Nitro PDF Pro can be had for under $30 on Newegg and as low as $28 on Amazon (free shipping and no sales tax).

A new version of PDF-XChange PRO (5) should be out within the next couple of weeks, give or take. Since I have a license for v4, I'm sure I will be able to take advantage of upgrade pricing yet I can't imagine it will be much, if any, less than the $28 price of Nitro PDF Pro from Amazon - perhaps the upgrade will be even more than $28.

I must be missing something but just can't figure out what that might be. Are there some sort of limitations on the Nitro version purchased from third parties? Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

6. loyukfai

@prius04: Is the promotion you mentioned for PDF-XChange Viewer PRO still available...?

7. loyukfai

And Nitro isn't...? I tested them on a 32-bit virtual machine but the main desktop I use is 64-bit.

8. prius04

prius04 Registered Member

Nope, at least I'm not aware of any current promo. Perhaps when v3 (v5 for PDF-XChange PRO) is released, they will offer some sort of discount to attract new users as well as upgrade pricing for current users. The discount I received on Viewer PRO was several years ago, before a lot of the features that exist in the current version were added.

9. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Unless it installs in Program Files, and the processes don't have *32, it isn't natively compatible. It may be compatible still, but usually with less performance and compatibility with 64-bit programs.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.