NIST is seeking more advanced tattoo forensic analysis

Discussion in 'privacy general' started by Minimalist, Jun 20, 2015.

1. Minimalist

Minimalist Registered Member

2. CloneRanger

CloneRanger Registered Member

I've always found it hilarious, that most crims seem to have tattoos, which can readily help to ID them. Dumb or what !

3. krustytheclown2

krustytheclown2 Registered Member

If they plant spyware onto a system that can read all the files (i.e. pictures of tattoos), wouldn't it be 1000x easier to just get the IP address of the computer and trace it that way? Or barring that (coffee shop WiFi or whatever), seeing log-ins to Facebook, personally identifiable email, Skype, e-commerce, etc etc? Or face pics (face identification tech is old news)? It seems like the use case of this technology is extremely narrow, a scenario where the only identifiable data on a computer is a tattoo seems incredibly unlikely.

That being said, compartmentalization of identities is a prudent measure that many here already know to do, I guess many criminals aren't very smart though (even DPR...). Maybe it's wise to grab some rando's tattoo pics from Instagram or wherever and put them all over your hard drive in order to point investigators in the wrong direction, lol.

4. RockLobster

RockLobster Registered Member

Yes and then when they are in prison they get more tattoos just to make sure when they get out the cops have no doubt about who they are every time they see them lol.

5. mirimir

mirimir Registered Member

One time, long ago and very wasted, I watched some guy tattoo another guy, using a knife and hash ashes :eek:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.